none
unable to reactivate Windows Vista after a factory restore was done RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Hp DV9543cl laptop that i recently restored to factory settings. It is now asking me to enter the activation code for windows vista. This is a refurbished computer that was a replacement for my new one that blew up i purchased from Circut City. It has a sticker that it was refurbished by Tiger Direct. Both these companys are now out of business. There was originally a sticker on the bottom with the windows activation code on it  that i originally used to activate Windows Vista but it has worn off. HP says they cant help me without buying another extended warrenty. Is there any way to reactivate my program or does microsoft keep this in some data base that could verify i have previously activated it? Can someone please helpme or tell me who might be able to help?
    Thanks so much.....
    Friday, October 9, 2009 8:52 PM

Answers

• Hello Scoutbird,

Microsoft does keep records of Activations, but due to privacy concerns and legal action, they do not tie that information to any user information.  In other words Microsoft can not know what Product Key belongs to what customer.  This is not Microsoft's idea, it was imposed on them thru legal action.  Apperantly to better protect consumers.

Please note that Tigerdirect is still in business and can be found at http://www.tigerdirect.com  They or HP would be the best sources of assistance in this situation.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:26 PM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:26 PM