Folder restrictions aren't applied to Media Library (remote access) RRS feed

• Question

• I created a new user and gave them access to music and one other folder. When they login they see only those folders listed under Shared Folders as they should. The problem is they still see Pictures and Videos in the Media Library section. Shouldn't Media Library respect the fact that the user has no access to the pictures and video folders? How do I keep those two folders from not showing up in Media Library for that particular user?
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 4:09 PM

All replies

• Sadly I don't think you can!
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 4:19 PM
  • Then that's a security flaw that really needs to be fixed.
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 4:38 PM
  • Perhaps post on Connect if you have an account?
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 4:44 PM
  • No point posting there, I have the final version of WHS 2011 since it came out on TechNet. I hope this isn't something that doesn't get fixed until the first service pack.
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 6:19 PM
  • It is not a WHS bug as such. With not being being a coder I have no idea whether the permissions problem can be worked around and still enable generic DLNA clients to connect.  

The DLNA side of the WHS follows the specifications of DLNA. With DLNA once you turn on the streaming it is all or nothing with a DLNA server not respecting folder permissions etc.

I would agree that it is a glaring issue with the DLNA spec but it is not just WHS specific. The committee that setup the DLNA specifications need to re-visit the issue and get it sorted for a DLNA V2 maybe :).

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 9:14 PM
  • On Tue, 24 May 2011 21:14:35 +0000, frogz1 wrote:

It is not a WHS bug as such. With not being being a?coder I have no idea whether the permissions problem can be worked around and still enable generic DLNA clients to connect.??

The DLNA side of the WHS follows the specifications of DLNA. With DLNA once you turn on the streaming it is all or nothing with?a DLNA server not respecting folder permissions etc.

I would agree that it is a glaring issue with the DLNA spec but it is not just WHS specific. The committee that setup the DLNA specifications need to re-visit the issue and get it sorted for a DLNA V2 maybe :).

And not surprisingly this is exactly how it worked in the original WHS as
    well.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Code:  Virus lasting about three to five days, accompanied by sore throat,
    runny nose and fever.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 2:37 AM
  • Agreed. This is a big flaw with permissions.  I've seen complaints about it here and on wegotserved too. People are not happy (including me).

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 4:00 AM
  • On Wed, 25 May 2011 04:00:31 +0000, bshaf wrote:

Agreed. This is a big flaw with permissions.? I've seen complaints about it here and on wegotserved too. People are not happy (including me).

You may consider it to be a flaw, but as frogz1 correctly points out, this
    is not a Microsoft issue. It is the way the DLNA standard has been written
    and Microsoft needs to follow the standard. If you want to complain, then
    complain to the DLNA organization. Complaining that this is a Microsoft
    flaw or bug is not only incorrect, it doesn't serve any real purpose.

Paul Adare
    This screen intentionally left blank.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 4:04 AM
  • Hey Paul,

I get that it may be a part of the DLNA standard, but the user shouldn't know or care what standard is used. From a user perspective if i say that a specific user isn't allow to view the pictures folder i would expect those permissions to be caried throughout the experience. And as you know with its current implementation, that isn't the case.

Monday, May 30, 2011 6:43 PM
  • On Mon, 30 May 2011 18:43:28 +0000, bshaf wrote:

I get that it may be a part of the DLNA standard, but the user shouldn't know or care what standard is used. From?a user perspective if i say that a specific user isn't allow to view the pictures folder i would expect those permissions to be caried throughout the experience. And as you know with its current implementation, that isn't the case.

I"m not arguing that point, simply making the point that whet you're seeing
    is the result of Microsoft having to follow the DLNA standards.

Paul Adare
    Vacuum type: A derogatory term.  See "bubble memory."

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 8:07 AM