Dynamics CRM 2011 alerts RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

How can I configure dynamics crm 2011 to alert user when a contract is about to expire?

Thanks

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:46 PM

Answers

• I think it is better to use workflow automation solutions. Because, if you use workflow waits on the contracts, it could have impact on system performance. Hence, download and use this link. This could help you to trigger a workflow just few days before contract expiration (or other desired date). Hence, you could easily set a send email step to alert the user about the contract.

If the answer helped you, remember to mark it as answer.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 4:37 PM

All replies

• There are 2 ways out of the box. The correct way is defined by the business criteria by your client.

1. Create a workflow that includes a wait criteria that executes a task or an email when the contract end date is coming up.

2. Create a view that only shows contracts that experies within the next xx months.

Rune Daub Senior Consultant - Dynateam CRM http://www.xrmmanagement.com

• Proposed as answer by RuneDaub Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by ervilhaman Tuesday, February 26, 2013 4:07 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by ervilhaman Tuesday, February 26, 2013 4:07 PM
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:59 PM
  • is there any addon ou plugin?
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 4:08 PM
  • I think it is better to use workflow automation solutions. Because, if you use workflow waits on the contracts, it could have impact on system performance. Hence, download and use this link. This could help you to trigger a workflow just few days before contract expiration (or other desired date). Hence, you could easily set a send email step to alert the user about the contract.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 4:37 PM
  • How can I install whis worflow in crm 2011?
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 4:54 PM
  • See the "download" tab at the link. There is a setup guide. That helps you. After you download you have an exe file and some other files. Read the guide carefully to know about how to exactly install it on you server.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 5:06 PM
  • The suggested tool, should only be used if you have many contracts.

Creating a default workflow with a wait criteria is a perfectly valid way to go. The reason that someone made that tool that is suggested by Payman is that if you have many thousand wait workflows, it will slow down the async service and make the rest of the system less efficient.

But as long as we are not talking about thousands and thousands.. just go with a normal workflow and forget installing the tool.

By the way -  even though you are using the tool.. you will still need to create the workflow in CRM. The tool is just a more efficient way of starting the workflows on a regular basis.

Rune Daub Senior Consultant - Dynateam CRM http://www.xrmmanagement.com

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 5:56 PM
  • @ Rune,

Of course you are right. But my concern about this special case is when the serialised workflows are going to be re-hydrated. As you know waiting workflows would be converted to db records until the condition  reaches. But about the expired contracts that could be somehow complex.

Suppose that at the first working day of a year you have 1000 expired contracts. Then CRM likely wants to re-hydrate 1000 or more workflows (based on business). Even, these number of simultaneous workflows could crash the Async. I've got problems on strong servers with less than these numbers.

However, I don't know the scale of the contracts ervilhaman has! May be he could decide which is better based on his conditions and our explanations.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:14 PM