none
Windows Home Server and Acer L320 RRS feed

• Question

• I liked the small form factor and looks of the acer l320 so i bought one thinking i would use it for my windows home server / media center...........when i opened it up to upgrade the memory i found that basically its a laptop in a desktop case ie sodimms for memory sticks. soooooooooooooooooooooo everytime i try to install WHS as soon as server 2003 starts to load it crashes. i'm assuming thats down to being that ya cant install whs on a laptop. anyone have any thoughts about how i can work around this issue. I also thought maybe i would just leave vista home premium on the pc and run whs in a virtual pc on it, but cant seem to figure out how to get VPC to let me create a vhd that will use a good portion of my 1tb disk drive. Thanks in advance for any suggestions anyone may have to help me resolve my dilemma.

Greg S.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 12:07 AM

Answers

• I'm pretty sure it blue screens because it doesn't have appropriate storage drivers. Assuming the drive you're trying to install Windows Home Server on is a SATA drive, you can try configuring the BIOS to use legacy or IDE mode for the SATA ports. Failing that, you will need to supply drivers on floppy both in the initial graphical portion if setup, and at the start of text mode, at the "Press F6" prompt at the bottom of the screen. Why floppy? Because Windows Server 2003 setup will not pick them up off of most USB thumb drives.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:20 AM

All replies

• I liked the small form factor and looks of the acer l320 so i bought one thinking i would use it for my windows home server / media center...........when i opened it up to upgrade the memory i found that basically its a laptop in a desktop case ie sodimms for memory sticks. soooooooooooooooooooooo everytime i try to install WHS as soon as server 2003 starts to load it crashes. i'm assuming thats down to being that ya cant install whs on a laptop.

Actually yes you can (although it's unsupported).  But it doesn't matter because it's not a laptop (no matter what parts they use inside).  What exactly is happening when you try to install?  Are you getting any error messages?  Can you give us some details about the hardware?

anyone have any thoughts about how i can work around this issue. I also thought maybe i would just leave vista home premium on the pc and run whs in a virtual pc on it, but cant seem to figure out how to get VPC to let me create a vhd that will use a good portion of my 1tb disk drive. Thanks in advance for any suggestions anyone may have to help me resolve my dilemma.

Greg S.
    Installing WHS in a VM is also unsupported.  Frankly, I don't even see why you would want to do that because you lose the data redundancy feature (everything is on that one drive).
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 12:46 AM
  • Hi Thanks for such a fast response, the machine is an acer aspire L320
    Chipset  What is "Chipset"?
    Intel 946GZ Express
    what else specifically spec wise do you need to know, I'm reinstalling the Vista Home Premium OS back on it at this moment and once its done i'll put PC wizard on so I have access to give you whatever info it is that you'd like to know.

when i'm doing the installation, it copies all the installation files and then the blue screen comes up that will install server2003 ( looks like the install screen you see when installing windows xp ) and then goes to a blue screen of death. I actually removed the 1tb drive from the acer and installed it in my dell desktop and installed WHS on it just now and then put the drive back in the acer, it keeps rebooting when server 2003 starts to load. ( blue screens and then cycles the boot process again ). Thanks again for the help.

Greg S.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 1:10 AM
  • I'm pretty sure it blue screens because it doesn't have appropriate storage drivers. Assuming the drive you're trying to install Windows Home Server on is a SATA drive, you can try configuring the BIOS to use legacy or IDE mode for the SATA ports. Failing that, you will need to supply drivers on floppy both in the initial graphical portion if setup, and at the start of text mode, at the "Press F6" prompt at the bottom of the screen. Why floppy? Because Windows Server 2003 setup will not pick them up off of most USB thumb drives.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:20 AM
  • Thanks alot Ken, very much appreciate you posting. I had some time last weekend and thought i'd try checking the things you mentioned and sure enough changing the sata ports to ide mode solved the problem. thanks again for taking the time to help me out.

Greg S.
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 11:18 AM