Who else has to buy a new development box RRS feed

• Question

• So my HP DL G3 and G4 boxes can not be used to develop Vail add-ins becuase they do not support VT. 

Is there something I am missing here. Is there some ability to develop on a 32 bit platform using vm's?

Or am I stuck with putting Vail on a server without virtualization, which I really do not want to do. I remote into my dev boxes. If I put vail straight on a box without VM, it will fill my network with all sorts of unneeded traffic. My work would not like this at all.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 5:21 AM

All replies

• Several flavors of VMWare will allow you to virtualize a 64 bit OS, if you have the underlying hardware support. Even on a 32 bit OS. There are other options too, I'm pretty sure.

As for "My work would not like this at all", I assume you mean your employer wouldn't be pleased if they learned you were moonlighting on company time. If your employer wouldn't like it, why are you doing it? If you're caught, you may well be terminated immediately, for cause.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 12:23 PM
  • Anyone else besides Ken want to chime in here? I have a feeling Ken didnt read the main part of my post stating I DONT HAVE THE HARDWARE with VT.
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 8:35 PM
  • Yes, I did read your post. See where I said "… if you have the underlying hardware support …"? If you don't, you need new hardware. Which you pretty obviously know already.
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 1:33 AM
  • I guess I am confused then. What is your point other than stating what I already stated and knew? 
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 4:16 AM
  • Well, I could have answered like this:

… Is there some ability to develop on a 32 bit platform using vm's? …

No.

That's a little brusque, though, and a lot of people may not know that it's even possible to have a 64 bit guest on a 32 bit host.

It's not something that hobbyist developers are likely to have been exposed to.
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 12:50 PM
  • I had an old PC where the motherboard supports VT but the CPU did not (ultra cheap Athlon). Luckily I was able to replace the CPU with one that did, though it was somewhat difficult finding the CPU.

I then installed XP Pro 32 bit and VMPlayer on top of that. VMPlayer virtualizes a 64 bit environment just fine.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 9:02 PM
  • Just a short question. I'm new to VMWare, but I've been thinking about running it just to be able to test Vail. How much RAM do you reckon is needed as a minimum to run both whs1 and vail on the same machine?
    Monday, November 8, 2010 8:04 AM
  • Minimum for Vail is 2 GB, minimum for V1 is 512 MB. So 2.5 GB of memory is the minimum. 4 will probably be more comfortable, with 1 GB for V1 and 2 GB for Vail.
    Monday, November 8, 2010 1:39 PM