Remote access no longer working, but Remote Desktop works fine. help? RRS feed

• Question

•  Two of the machines connecting to my Home Server are running Vista Ultimate. Until recently, I was able to connect to either one through the Remote Access page of the Home Server. Now, one still works, but when I try the other it says

"Cannot connect to your home computer. Check your network connection and make sure your home computer is not blocked by a firewall. If your home computer has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes."

The firewall is definitely not the problem - I have no better luck even if I disable it completely. Also, I am able to connect to the computer via Remote Desktop, using the LAN IP address. Reinstalling the client connector software hasn't helped. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 1:16 AM

Answers

• I consulted with my girlfriend (the problem PC is hers) and she told me she doesn't care about the old backup anymore. I deleted the old account, and Remote Access is once again working. Thank you very much for your help Olaf!
    • Marked as answer by Dave Loewen Friday, January 2, 2009 7:43 PM
    Friday, January 2, 2009 7:42 PM

All replies

• Svensayshi said:

Two of the machines connecting to my Home Server are running Vista Ultimate. Until recently, I was able to connect to either one through the Remote Access page of the Home Server. Now, one still works, but when I try the other it says

"Cannot connect to your home computer. Check your network connection and make sure your home computer is not blocked by a firewall. If your home computer has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes."

The firewall is definitely not the problem - I have no better luck even if I disable it completely. Also, I am able to connect to the computer via Remote Desktop, using the LAN IP address. Reinstalling the client connector software hasn't helped. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Have you recently run updates on the Vista machines? If one machine works and one doesn't, this sounds like a client problem.  You might want to check your Windows Updates on both machines and also your update history.  Also look for what might be installed on the client that doesn't work that isn't installed on the working client.

Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 2:11 AM
  • Hi,
    if you login to the server desktop directly and use the Remote Desktop client from Start menu, can you establish a connection?
    Does name resolution from server to client work (can you ping the computer by name)?
    Can you see any messages in the event log of the client (including security log) about an attempted connection?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 9:48 AM
  • Lara,
    Both machines receive all Windows updates, so they should be identical in that respect. I don't often use the Remote feature (only when I travel), so I can't pinpoint an exact time that the problem began, but I don't have anything installed that should affect remote connections. Both computers use OneCare, and no other security software. The "problem" machine recently had a game installed, and a few eBook-related software items, but that's about it.

Olaf,
    Through my Home Server I can connect via Remote Desktop, same as with my other Vista machine.

However:
    When I type "ping Nefernetka" from ther server, it says "Pinging Nefernetka [192.168.0.193]" etc, and I get timeouts.
    When I type "ping 192.168.0.193" from the server, it says "Pinging 192.168.0.193" etc, and I get timeouts.
    When I type "ping Nefernetka" from my other Vista machine, it says "Pinging Nefernetka [fe80::25e0:794b:" etc, and I get <1ms response.
    When I type "ping 192.168.0.193" from my other Vista machine, it times out just like from the server.

When I attempt to connect through the Remote Access webpage, I see nothing in the event logs about a failed login attempt.
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 4:16 PM
  • Hi Dave,
    Dave Loewen said:

Through my Home Server I can connect via Remote Desktop, same as with my other Vista machine.

However:
    When I type "ping Nefernetka" from my other Vista machine, it says "Pinging Nefernetka [fe80::25e0:794b:" etc, and I get <1ms response.

the evil effects of IPv6? Maybe. You could remove TCP/IPv6 protocol from the network interface on that client to exclude this as potential reason or at least change the priority of the protocols in Network and Sharing Center/Manage Network Connections via menu Advanced/Advanced Settings.

The IPv4 address 192.168.0.193 is still correct for that client or does ipconfig /all on the client show another address? In second case you may have the problem, that something in your network caches a wrong IP address for that name (or you added a hosts entry on the home server, which is no longer true).

Can you ping the machine from itself? Does your Vista client have more than one IPv4 addresses bound to that network interface?

Olaf
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 7:05 PM
  • That is the correct IP address, and the only one. "ipconfig /all" only shows that one, and the router only lists that.
    When I ping "Nefernetka" from itself, it shows the IPv6 and says "general failure" four times. When I ping "192.168.0.193", it it successful.

I disabled IPv6 and restarted. Now when I ping "Nefernetka" from the other machine it uses the IPv4, and times out. When I try from the client itself, pinging "Nefernetka" still shows what looks like an IPv6, and still says "general failure". Typing "ipconfig /all" now no longer lists IPv6 however.

In case this matters at all:
    The client used to connect wirelessly to the router (what I will call Router A). A little while ago I changed my setup to the following:
    Router A (wireless enabled, DHCP enabled) with my Home Server and one Vista machine connected to it with ethernet.
    Router B (wireless disabled, DHCP disabled) connected to Router A, with the problem machine as well as an XP machine connected to it.
    Router B is connected to router A with a 50-foot ethernet cable, and is basically just being used as an access point.

I don't know if the Remote Access webpage has ever worked with this setup, so I thought that might be the problem. So, I have now disabled the ethernet port on the problem machine, and re-enabled the wireless, so the setup should now be the same as it was before. I revoked the ethernet IP adress on the router and I have restarted several times, so as I mentioned, the computer and router both only show the one (wireless) IP address now. I won't re-attempt the ethernet connection until I get it working with wireless like it used to.

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 8:36 PM
  • Hi Dave,
    from your setup I would say, that router B is not well performing as replacement for a normal switch.
    So the problem is less the client, but more your setup.
    If you can attach a switch or even a dumb hub in place of router B, I would assume your original configuration works (also if you attach the trouble PC to the same router as the WHS).
    If your router B supports to play a role as access point and how router A and B must be configured in this case, can only show the manuals of these.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 10:08 PM
  • The problem is that right now I've switched back to the original configuration, not using Router B, and It's still not working. So, if I can get it working and then I change back to the 2-router config and it doesn't work, then I'll agree with you. But like I said, I can't get it working at all right now.

To clarify: right now the "trouble PC" is currently connecting wirelessly to the same router that the WHS is attached to. Previously, it did work with this configuration. I don't know what has changed.
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 10:27 PM
  • To summarize:
    -When I Remote Desktop to Nefernetka it connects just fine.
    -When I Remote Desktop to 192.168.0.193 it connects just fine.
    -When I ping 192.168.0.193 it doesn't respond.
    -When I use the WHS Remote Access webpage to connect to the computer "Nefernetka" it says that it can't connect.

*confused*

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 11:05 PM
  • Hi Dave,
    starts to be hard to diagnose remotely.
    Maybe the cause of not being able to connect via Remote Access is located in the fact, that the system cannot be pinged (maybe if the system doesn't respond to pint, no attempt to connect via Remote Desktop is made?). So you still have to find the reason, why the ping fails in the first instance.
    Which security suite are you using on client side?
    If it's a 3rd party software, maybe you should uninstall it (and not only disabling the firewall), since sometimes even a disabled firewall is not off at all. (Or at least disable all services and startup entries related to this application via msconfig.)
    Would it help to uninstall all network adapters on the client and reinstall them?
    Is the network configuration done via DHCP or manually? If the last, is there a typo in the configuration (i.e. wrong subnet mask or gateway)? (Output of ipconfig /all could help us to analyze further.)
    Does the router really bridge WLAN and normal LAN?
    Can the client ping the server?
    On the client, open a command line prompt and type
    route print
    Olaf

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 7:37 AM
  • Olaf, thank you for your continued efforts.
    -I am using Windows Live OneCare on both of my Vista machines. It is unlikely that it is the problem.
    -I use DHCP.
    -The Vista machine that does work is a laptop, so I enabled wireless and disconnected the ethernet cable. from the other machine I cannot ping it but I can still Remote Access to it. So for some reason I can't ping wireless machines on my network, but that doesn't stop Remote Access connections.
    -The problem client can ping the server

I have uploaded two screenshots: "ipconfig /all" and "route print". They're here in a zip file:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YBZCBHJ7
    If you prefer another method, just let me know. In the "ipconfig" screenshot, the second LAN adapter is a VPN connection. Both of the LAN adapters are disabled here.

I have just tried removing all three adapters, and reinstalling two of them (not the VPN). Still no luck.
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 2:31 PM
  • Hi Dave,
    sorry, that page for downloads annoys me a lot - wasted already more than a minute and got nothing.
    You can paste such information as text here as well.
    Olaf
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:49 PM
  • I couldn't figure out how to copy the text, so I just typed it out :P
    Also, I tried restarting with all of the OneCare "services" and "startup" entries disabled in msconfig. No luck.

C:\Users\Neferata>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Nefernetka
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
       Note Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys Wireless-N PCI Adapter WMP300N
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-F8-33-9B-43
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.193<Preferred>
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : December-30-08 3:23:04 PM
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : January-01-09 5:57:02 AM
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
       IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e50:1c5e:4b6:3f57:ff3e<Preferred>
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::1c5e:4b6:3f57:ff3e%10<Preferred>
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.<CC426A23-4FC7-47F0-9321-B8F5093A9C4B>
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

C:\Users\Neferata>route print
    ===========================================================================
    Interface List
      9 ...00 18 f8 33 9b 43 ...... Linksys Wireless-N PCI Adapter WMP300N
      1 ........................... Software Loopback Interface 1
     10 ...02 00 54 55 4e 01 ...... Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
     20 ...00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0  isatap.<CC426A23-4FC7-47F0-9321-B8F5093A9C4B>

IPv4 Route Table
    Acitve Routes:
    Network Destination        Netmask          Gateway       Interface  Metric
              0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0      192.168.0.1    192.168.0.193     25
            127.0.0.0        255.0.0.0         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
            127.0.0.1  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
      127.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
          192.168.0.0    255.255.255.0         On-link     192.168.0.193    281
        192.168.0.193  255.255.255.255         On-link     192.168.0.193    281
        192.168.0.255  255.255.255.255         On-link     192.168.0.193    281
            224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
            224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0         On-link     192.168.0.193    281
      255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
      255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link     192.168.0.193    281
    Persistent Routes:
      None

IPv6 Route Table
    Active Routes:
     If Metric Network Destination      Gateway
     10     18 ::/0                     On-link
      1    306 ::1/128                  On-link
     10     18 2001::/32                On-link
     10    266 2001:0:4137:9e50:1c5e:4b6:3f57:ff3e/128
                                        On-link
     10    266 fe80::/64                On-link
     10    266 fe80::1c5e:4b6:3f57:ff3e/128
                                        On-link
      1    306 ff00::/8                 On-link
     10    266 ff00::/8                 On-link
    Persistent Routes:
      None

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 5:26 PM
  • More information:
    Even on ethernet, my two Vista machines can't ping each other. Same with wireless. I can ping the server from either one, but the server can't ping either of them. So bottom line: I can't ping a vista machine on my network. This doesn't bother me, and the point is that it's consistent for both of them.

But from A to B I can connect via Remote Desktop and through the WHS Remote Access Page, from B to A I can connect via Remote Desktop but not WHS Remote Access. What on earth is done differently with Remote Access that makes it not work?
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 5:55 PM
  • Hi,
    to get text from command line prompt, you can either click the system menu (left side of the title bar) and select Edit/Mark (and use the mouse to mark the text) or you redirect the output into a text file by attaching the > redirector like
    ipconfig /all > ipconfig.txt

To turn Ping On on Vista:
    Open Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security Policy
    Windows Firewall with Advanced Security/Windows Firewall with Advanced Security - Local Group Policy Object
    Under Overview, select Windows Firewall Properties
    On Private Profile tab and under State/Inbound connections change Not configured to Allow.

The metrics are a bit different, but on a first look after the new year party I cannot see any special differences.

The strange part is, that the Remote Access interface incorporates a normal Remote Desktop connection.
    The passwords match for the user account you are using on the Remote Access page and this user account exist on the Vista system and is allowed to establish a Remote Desktop connection to that Vista box?

Best greetings from Germany and a happy new year 2009
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 9:56 AM
  • The two Vista names/passwords match the WHS ones exactly.
    From either computer, with either login, I can Remote Access to the laptop, and from either account I can't get to the desktop. grr :)
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 7:51 PM
  • Hi Dave,
    soon the questions I can ask are ending.
    The system you wish to connect to is shown as online in the Remote Acces page?
    And it has nothing in the event log that a connection attempt has been made?
    Are the security settings from Remote Desktop on that client so, that they allow connections from each RDP client (on the Remote tab in System properties)?
    System time and time zone settings match on both client and server?

As an (unsupported) workaround you could change the scope for port 3389 in the WHS firewall or in the Vista client firewall to all networks and forward port 3389 in the router to your WHS or directly to the Vista client. That way you could use the RDP client on your PC to connect with your WHS desktop and from here with the Vista PC or directly connect to the Vista PC by opening RDP to the homeserver.com address.

(Or you use the session with the functioning PC to connect via RDP to that bugger.)

Olaf
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 8:49 PM
  • The computer is shown as "available for connection" on the Remote Access Page. When I click on it, first it pops up a "Connection Options" page. Then when I hit OK, it is supposed to immediately pop up a yellow security warning saying that a website wants to make a RD connection. Instead, it pauses for a minute and then gives me the "cannot connect" message.

All of my machines have the correct time, and syncronize daily. My router is terrible at keeping the right time, it seems to run on a 28-hour clock, but that can't be the problem in this case.

After making the connection attempt, I check the "Event Viewer" on the client machine, and I check every log there. There are no new entries.

So, it seems that the client computer isn't getting the signal at all. One possible explanation is that the WHS is for some reason sending the RD signal to the wrong place. Is there a log somewhere that I can find out what IP the RD request is being sent to?

That is a very creative workaround, and I will use it in an emergency. But I would much rather get this working properly :)
    Friday, January 2, 2009 4:57 PM
  • Hi Dave,
    if you logon to your server, click Start/Run, type %qlogs% and click OK.
    This opens a folder. Sort the files by date and check for names similar to w3wp.090101.1232435625.3160.log
    Maybe these logfiles, although somewhat cryptic to read, contain more details about the issue behind.
    Olaf
    Friday, January 2, 2009 5:35 PM
  • I think we're getting somewhere here. The logfile says that it attempted to establish a connection to 192.168.1.104. A few months ago I was using a Linksys router and I had the IP addresses assigned manually. This was the IP address of the problem computer. So why would it still be trying this IP address from months ago? I've reinstalled the client software, everything else works just fine...

EDIT actually it may have only been a few weeks, I tend to lose track of time. But I definitely haven't used it in the last three weeks.
    Friday, January 2, 2009 5:42 PM
  • Hi Dave,
    I had my router resolve DNS queries for my home server to the wrong (historical) IP address for a long time, until they fixed that with a firmware upgrade, so that a DNS query does not return an IP address for my WHS any more.
    So you could try to assign the same IP address manually to that client again.
    You could also take a look into the registry of the WHS, if in the subkey of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Transport\Clients belonging to that client still the wrong IP address is listed.
    Olaf
    Friday, January 2, 2009 6:57 PM
  • Okay here's what's going on. Back in July I reformatted the problem PC. I kept the same computer name/username/password in the new format. On the server, I have always saved one single backup of the old installation. So on the "Computers & Backup" page of the WHS console I see the old NEFERNETKA (which is always greyed out, but still has the one saved backup) and the new NEFERNETKA (which is marked as on, and backs up daily). Similarly, on the Remote Access page, there is the old greyed out NEFERNETKA and the new "available for connection" NEFERNETKA. It won't let me click on the greyed-out one.

So, in the registry section you indicated, both of the NEFERNETKAs are there. One has the current IP address, and the other has the old IP address. The WHS does everything else fine, but it mixes the two up on the Remote Access page. I would have no problem deleting the old account, except I want to keep that one backup. What's the easiest way to fix this? Can I somehow migrate the old backup to the new account? I'm sure I could change the IP in the registry to be the right one, but since I use DHCP now that IP address might change. I have to use DHCP because I have a wireless media server that is very finicky and requires specific router settings.
    Friday, January 2, 2009 7:31 PM
  • Hi Dave,
    in this case I would recommend to rename the newer PC.
    Be also aware, that trying to use WHS Backups as a long time archive is not the best idea.
    Olaf
    Friday, January 2, 2009 7:37 PM
  • I consulted with my girlfriend (the problem PC is hers) and she told me she doesn't care about the old backup anymore. I deleted the old account, and Remote Access is once again working. Thank you very much for your help Olaf!
    • Marked as answer by Dave Loewen Friday, January 2, 2009 7:43 PM
    Friday, January 2, 2009 7:42 PM