OneCare does not work with Windows 7.. and I just paided for a subscription! RRS feed

• Question

• What the ____.. I just paided for a subscription a month back and I find out that windows 7 is not supported.... AFTER I UPGRADE?
    I just got screwed out of $50 for basically 1 month of subscription.  I am Microsoft supporter but this is lame.

I understand going away from a product line and am looking forward to the Morro release, but don't you think this should have been communicated a little clearer.. like before I purchased the damn subscription?   Microsoft just screwed me over and took my $50 bucks.. you guys better be prepared when Windows 7 is released since I am sure I am by no means the only one who got screwed by this. 

You all should think about giving a rebate to windows 7 owners who already supported OneCare... 
    LAME

Sunday, September 6, 2009 6:09 PM

Answers

• If you recently purchased a One Care subscription you can contact support to inquire about a refund. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

In the One Care Homepage system requirements page supported operating systems are clearly defined:
    Microsoft Windows XP (Home Edition, Professional, Media Center Edition, or Tablet PC Edition) with Service Pack 2 (SP2) or later, or Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit (Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate) operating system (OneCare does not support the Windows XP Professional 64-bit operating system).

Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 7:17 PM

All replies

• If you recently purchased a One Care subscription you can contact support to inquire about a refund. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

In the One Care Homepage system requirements page supported operating systems are clearly defined:
    Microsoft Windows XP (Home Edition, Professional, Media Center Edition, or Tablet PC Edition) with Service Pack 2 (SP2) or later, or Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit (Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate) operating system (OneCare does not support the Windows XP Professional 64-bit operating system).

Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 7:17 PM
  • The "supported operating systems are clearly defined" argument is BS and, as already mentioned, very lame since OneCare was introduced prior to Windows 7 release.  OneCare developers should have known prior to the release of Windows 7 that Live OneCare was not going to be compatible with Windows 7.  In which case, it should have been made clear to potential buyers of OneCare (like myself) who also intended to upgrade to Windows 7 that OneCare would not be compatible.  With such info, I would not have wasted my money purchasing OneCare knowing I would get only a couple of months use out of it.  Spending $50 and getting only partial use of a full one year subscription is unacceptable and a waste of money.
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 2:43 AM
  • The "supported operating systems are clearly defined" argument is BS and, as already mentioned, very lame since OneCare was introduced prior to Windows 7 release.  OneCare developers should have known prior to the release of Windows 7 that Live OneCare was not going to be compatible with Windows 7.  In which case, it should have been made clear to potential buyers of OneCare (like myself) who also intended to upgrade to Windows 7 that OneCare would not be compatible.  With such info, I would not have wasted my money purchasing OneCare knowing I would get only a couple of months use out of it.  Spending $50 and getting only partial use of a full one year subscription is unacceptable and a waste of money.

They were and the announcement of end of life for OneCare was made in November of 2008. The information about OneCare end of life has been posted on the main OneCare page for many months prior to Windows 7 release as were the system requirement.
    See the link that Jim provided regarding pro-rated refunds.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 1:31 PM