Shares Always Showing Bug RRS feed

• Question

• When creating a user with only share access to a specific share (say music) I check all fields to none accept that share.  When I browse to the remote access page I still see the Software and Converted Videos shares.  I click on the links and it does not go anywhere because the user does not have access.  These shares should not be showing up if they do not have access.
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 4:10 PM

Answers

• Bug reports should be submitted on Connect. That way Microsoft will have the issue in their internal database, and will (if required) be able to ask you for additional information.

That said, probably the remote access web site is subject to the same limitations that Windows itself is, regarding permission to view shares. In Windows, all shares on a computer are visible assuming one has any access to that computer at all. You may want to try installing Access Based Enumeration on your server. ABE is designed to limit the files and folders that users can see to only those they have permission to access. It may not remove the shares your users don't have access to from the Remote Access web site, however, and it isn't supported on Windows Home Server (though I don't believe it will cause any problems).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 4:22 PM

All replies

• Bug reports should be submitted on Connect. That way Microsoft will have the issue in their internal database, and will (if required) be able to ask you for additional information.

That said, probably the remote access web site is subject to the same limitations that Windows itself is, regarding permission to view shares. In Windows, all shares on a computer are visible assuming one has any access to that computer at all. You may want to try installing Access Based Enumeration on your server. ABE is designed to limit the files and folders that users can see to only those they have permission to access. It may not remove the shares your users don't have access to from the Remote Access web site, however, and it isn't supported on Windows Home Server (though I don't believe it will cause any problems).

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 4:22 PM

That said, probably the remote access web site is subject to the same limitations that Windows itself is, regarding permission to view shares. In Windows, all shares on a computer are visible assuming one has any access to that computer at all.

Actually, Ken, that's not true on Remote Access.  It should only show the shares that a user has at least read-only access to.  My guess is that the underlying permissions (the ones only seen from the server desktop) are not as they should be so it's "showing" from the website when it shouldn't be.

You may want to try installing Access Based Enumeration on your server. ABE is designed to limit the files and folders that users can see to only those they have permission to access. It may not remove the shares your users don't have access to from the Remote Access web site, however, and it isn't supported on Windows Home Server (though I don't believe it will cause any problems).

Thursday, January 14, 2010 2:14 AM