C: Format RRS feed

• Question

• My friend got a virus on her XP home SP2 comp, and asked me to reformat her c:

I was able to open the system recovery in the command script after entering the administartor password, and I formated her D: (second hard drive) but the same thing wouldn't work for her c:

It went thru the command chain

C:/windows> format c:
    not renewable warning thingy that it'll erase all the files.
    (y/n?)>y

C:/windows>

it asked me the question, I'm sure that I did it right, but it didn't format the drive... any help her would be nice

thanks

P.S.  and I have an XP boot disk (from my comp), but I left it at home.. I'll try that as well, but If this method didn't I doubt that will either
    Friday, June 12, 2009 9:58 PM

Answers

• FYI:  this forum is for Windows Home Server, not for XP.
    The Windows XP newsgroups (more appropriate for questions such as this) can be found here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US

Short answer for you:
    You can't format the Windows drive from within Windows.  And, yes, the Recovery Console is "within Windows", as it is run from C:\WINDOWS\.
    You can, however, format the drive by booting from a Windows CD, and reinstalling the OS.  Delete the C:\partition, recreate it (leave the size defaults in place), and format that new partition as NTFS (do not pick the 'quick' option.)

Good luck!

-Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 1:47 PM
  • My friend got a virus on her XP home SP2 comp, and asked me to reformat her c:

I was able to open the system recovery in the command script after entering the administartor password, and I formated her D: (second hard drive) but the same thing wouldn't work for her c:

(y/n?)>y

it asked me the question, I'm sure that I did it right, but it didn't format the drive... any help her would be nice

thanks

P.S.  and I have an XP boot disk (from my comp), but I left it at home.. I'll try that as well, but If this method didn't I doubt that will either

...or you can try the XP forums.
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 3:24 PM

All replies

• FYI:  this forum is for Windows Home Server, not for XP.
    The Windows XP newsgroups (more appropriate for questions such as this) can be found here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US

Short answer for you:
    You can't format the Windows drive from within Windows.  And, yes, the Recovery Console is "within Windows", as it is run from C:\WINDOWS\.
    You can, however, format the drive by booting from a Windows CD, and reinstalling the OS.  Delete the C:\partition, recreate it (leave the size defaults in place), and format that new partition as NTFS (do not pick the 'quick' option.)

Good luck!

-Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 1:47 PM

(y/n?)>y

thanks

...or you can try the XP forums.
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 3:24 PM