HP X510 shutting down at midnight!?! RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone happen to know of a reason as to why my new WHS is shutting down at 00:00 exactly every single night?

I've set the power options within the console and enabled a daily sleep time between 12:30 AM and 07:30 AM

But it insists on powering down at midnight - very annoying, especially as I'm quite often on the computer at that time!

Many Thanks
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 9:15 PM

All replies

• At midnight Windows Home Server performs some specific tasks, so with default settings client backups are starting.
    Maybe there is something wrong with your system and it crashes.
    Can you login via Remote Desktop (using the account Administrator and the Console password) and check the Event Viewer in Control Panel/Administrative Tools for details (error messages, which could be related, disk failure etc.)?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 11:23 PM
  • Thanks Olaf,

I've opened up the event viewer and there are literally loads of errors! I can't make heads or tails of what all these errors mean.

I might reset the router and WHS and then clear the logs and closely examine what/when events occur after that.

I'll report back the next time it happens.

Cheers
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 11:57 PM
  • Ok, as expected the thing shut down in a flash at 00:00

I've just had a look at the event log and there are errors under the system section relating to termservdevices and when I double-click they appear to be to do with printers.

There are also some info and warning messages relating to various things.

Then in the Application section there are a whole bunch of information entries, the first of which is "power controller". When I look at it, it says "server going to standby according to sleep schedule".

But in the Console I've double-treble-checked that it is supposed to go to sleep at 12:30 AM!!

So it's getting late and I'm tired and confused :-(
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 12:18 AM
  • Maybe you try to uninstall power related Add-Ins in the Console under Settings/Add-Ins.
    If this fixes the problem, you can try to use the Add-In Lights Out instead.
    Olaf
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 12:57 AM
  • Olaf,

I've checked where you suggested and there are no addins at all.

My install is a virgin install with no customisation so could this be a bug, do you think?

Also, if I decided to recover my WHS, does this lose all my data, shares, users etc.?

I was thinking something may not have installed correctly.

Sorry, I'm new to all this WHS stuff.

Cheers
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 9:06 AM
  • Hi,
    there is no sleeping schedule for a normal installation of Windows Home Server in the console without any Add-Ins installed. Maybe it is an HP specific thing then?
    What happens if you change the time for sleeping or tell the system not to sleep at all?
    Olaf
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 9:56 AM
  • Yes, I reckon this is a HP added thing then (which obviously doesn't work).

I'll try setting it to NOT sleep and see what happens tonight...

I've noticed that when I remote desktop to the server  and go into power option/power schemes, the "turn off hard drives" and "sleep" options are both set to "never".

Would it be wise to set these to better values?
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 10:20 AM
  • I've noticed that when I remote desktop to the server  and go into power option/power schemes, the "turn off hard drives" and "sleep" options are both set to "never".

Would it be wise to set these to better values?

no, this setting is normal for server machines. Allowing to turn off the drives may have following negative effects:
    Drives often spinning up and down may increase the wear and tear of the disks and if the disks are not responding in an expected time they may fall out of the storage pool.

Olaf
    Monday, December 14, 2009 11:31 AM
  •  

1. At the PC, double-click the Windows Home Server icon in the system tray and log on. At the Mac, select Launch Home Server Console from the Server menu .

2. Click Settings in the upper right corner of the Console.

3. Click HP Data Vault in the left menu.

4. Click the Power tab.

5. Select options.

Enable Daily Sleep Time—The Enable Daily Sleep Time checkbox allows the Server to be put into a sleep mode and wake up based on times entered into the Sleep time and Wake time fields. The server will wake up for a scheduled backup.

Sleep Now— Clicking the Sleep Now button puts the Server into sleep mode. The server will wake up for a backup, input from the HP Home Page, or pressing the power button on the Server

Have you tried setting it to a random time during the day for 5 or 10 mins? Say from 11:30 am till 11:40 am. I have tested this feature on a DataVault it seems to work without issue.

You state that the DataVault sleeps from midnight, do you know for how long? Or are you manually overiding the system before it wakes again?

Monday, December 14, 2009 11:52 AM