crm 2011 external client authentication RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

I am asking about how we can set external client in CRM. I know we have to install ADFS 2.0, configure claim based authentication, and IFD. But my question is

For external users (our customers) when we want to add them to CRM user Do we need to add accounts for them in our active directory or not (assuming we have purchased external connector)?

Thanks

Marwa

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:33 PM

Answers

• Your reference to the External Connector license is what is causing some confusion.  Just so you know, the External Connector license is used for allowing users to interact with CRM through some developed tool like an external facing web site or portal.  The External Connector license is not used for people that have Active Directory accounts. 

With regard to multiple domains, you can setup a trust with the Domain that has the external users in it and then add the users to CRM.  You probably don't want to setup a trust so your other option is to add the users to your Active Directory if you want them to have direct login to the CRM application.  Please note, that this will require you to purchase a license for each user.  You will not be able to use the External Connector license for this scenario.

Regards, Donna

• Marked as answer by Marwa saleh Thursday, March 17, 2011 7:21 PM
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 4:04 PM

All replies

• You should not add them to Active Directory.  Most people add an Account record for the company represented by the exteranal company and then a Contact record for each individual associated with the Account.

Your particular configuration requirements will depend primarily on what you are trying to achieve with your external connections and the solution you choose to deploy for the external access.  I suggest having a look at the Portal solution for CRM 2011. 

http://dynamics.pinpoint.microsoft.com/en-US/applications/Adxstudio-Portals-for-Microsoft-Dynamics-CRM-2011-4295030566

http://dynamics.pinpoint.microsoft.com/en-US/applications/Customer-Portal-for-Microsoft-Dynamics-CRM-2011-12884910826

Regards, Donna

• Proposed as answer by Jim Glass Jr Wednesday, March 16, 2011 4:56 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Marwa saleh Wednesday, March 16, 2011 6:10 PM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 3:46 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your replay. but  I think i was not clear in my question.

What if I have non domain users who are not employee with our company and they are going to enter data in our CRM 2011

do we need to create user for them in our AD to access CRM using Claim based authentication or we can integrate CRM with other domains using ADFS and Claim based authentication?

Thanks

Marwa

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 4:43 PM
  • Your reference to the External Connector license is what is causing some confusion.  Just so you know, the External Connector license is used for allowing users to interact with CRM through some developed tool like an external facing web site or portal.  The External Connector license is not used for people that have Active Directory accounts. 

With regard to multiple domains, you can setup a trust with the Domain that has the external users in it and then add the users to CRM.  You probably don't want to setup a trust so your other option is to add the users to your Active Directory if you want them to have direct login to the CRM application.  Please note, that this will require you to purchase a license for each user.  You will not be able to use the External Connector license for this scenario.

Regards, Donna

• Marked as answer by Marwa saleh Thursday, March 17, 2011 7:21 PM
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 4:04 PM
  • Thanks Donna and sorry for confusion.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 7:22 PM
  • No problem, happy to assist.

Regards, Donna

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 12:10 PM
  • Hi Donna,

From the MSFT description of External Connector license, it seems that an external user can be the Owner of certain records:

"Data privileges to create Standard and Custom entity records"

From your response I understand that the external user is not in the Users entity (i.e. not a CRM User). Then how can it be the Owner of any record? 

In order to be added to Users in CRM, the person needs to be in Active Directory.

So the question still remains: How can an external user create and be the owner of a CRM record?

Regards

Massoud

Monday, January 2, 2012 3:59 PM
  • There is often a lot of confusion around licensing and I am no expert.  Licensing is very complex and there can be varying interpretations.  I always encourage people to go directly to Microsoft licensing representative for clarity on any issues. 

Having said the above, I can understand how the statement can be confusing.  By default, the user who creates a record in CRM is the owner of that record.  When using the External Connector, you will either create a user to associate with the Connector or use one of the existing Admin type user's for logging in. 

Here's an example for reference.  A person logs into the External Web site and enters some data into a form then hits the submit button.  The External Connector User login is then used to interact with CRM to take the action associated with the submit button.  If the action involves creating a record, then ownership of the record defaults to the External Connector license user. 

I hope this helps.

Regards, Donna

Monday, January 2, 2012 4:04 PM