I have bought WHS, but need to download the install file? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a server that doesn't have a cd rom drive and have purchased WHS after using the evaluation verison.  Can anyone tell me where I can download the installation file so I can dump it on a USB and reinstall* it.

Thanks.

* I've been using the Evaluation Copy and am stunned that MS hasn't allowed users to simply enter the product key to register once they buy.  All my data and configs need to be reset - MS, you really know how to help people love Apple.

Friday, September 2, 2011 4:46 AM

All replies

• See this article by Sean Daniel.  Not all will apply, but it will show you how to get it on a USB.

http://sbs.seandaniel.com/2009/10/how-to-make-usb-thumb-drive-bootable.html

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

I have a server that doesn't have a cd rom drive and have purchased WHS after using the evaluation verison. Can anyone tell me where I can download the installation file so I can dump it on a USB and reinstall* it.

Thanks.

* I've been using the Evaluation Copy and am stunned that MS hasn't allowed users to simply enter the product key to register once they buy. All my data and configs need to be reset - MS, you really know how to help people love Apple.

BullDawg
    Friday, September 2, 2011 7:22 AM
  • Thanks BullDawg.  The bootable USB info is helpful, but the link it directs to is for another evaluation copy of WHS.  I need a fully functional version, which will allow me to enter the Product Key. 

Does anyone know where I can find it?

Cheers.

Friday, September 2, 2011 10:09 AM
  • Where did you get your evaluation copy of WHS2011?  AFAIK, MS has not made any WHS2011 evaluation copies available.  There are WHS2011 iso's on TechNet and MSDN that will accept the OEM system builder key from the DVD you have purchased.  No key is required for install, one has 30 days to enter the key and activate.  The key can be entered from a remote desktop connection to WHS 2011.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Thanks BullDawg. The bootable USB info is helpful, but the link it directs to is for another evaluation copy of WHS. I need a fully functional version, which will allow me to enter the Product Key.

Does anyone know where I can find it?

Cheers.

BullDawg
    Friday, September 2, 2011 10:55 AM
  • There is no downloadable fully licensed Windows Home Server software (MSDN and Technet versions aren't licensed for production use). There never has been, and probably never will be.

You will need to purchase a "system builder" package (intended for low volume integrators, VARs, etc. but available to the public) from e.g. NewEgg or Amazon. Then you'll have to rip it and put it on a USB flash drive per Sean's article. If your server will boot from a USB flash drive (most computers will) you can install from that.

Or you can connect an optical drive temporarily (or permanently).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 2, 2011 11:05 AM
  • Where did you get your evaluation copy of WHS2011?

It was awhile back, but as WHS looked promising, I tried it out before you could buy OEM versions.  I think I downloaded it from the official WHS site.  In the lower right corner of the desktop, (confusingly) there's text stating: "Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, Evaluation Copy. Build 7601" (in case that's a useful bit of info).
    Friday, September 2, 2011 11:54 AM
  • Re:  there's text stating: "Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, Evaluation Copy. Build 7601"

What you have is not WHS2011.  You have an 180 day evaluation copy of Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard which is not WHS2011.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Where did you get your evaluation copy of WHS2011?

It was awhile back, but as WHS looked promising, I tried it out before you could buy OEM versions. I think I downloaded it from the official WHS site. In the lower right corner of the desktop, (confusingly) there's text stating: "Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, Evaluation Copy. Build 7601" (in case that's a useful bit of info).

BullDawg
    Friday, September 2, 2011 2:04 PM
  • Re:  there's text stating: "Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, Evaluation Copy. Build 7601"

What you have is not WHS2011.  You have an 180 day evaluation copy of Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard which is not WHS2011.

An evaluation copy of Windows Home Server 2011 would say the same thing, if there were such a thing. As it is, there's the online experience, which (for Microsoft) has some advantages over eval software.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 2, 2011 2:58 PM
  • I remember the WHS trial was offered before the official OEM launch, to encourage people to trial it.  The trial mechanic was much the same as Office...although with Office you can simply enter a product key when you buy it...something that makes even more sense for OS software, for obvious reasons.  Anyway, I'll spend  a few hours reinstalling this (rather than taking the seconds it would have taken to just enter the product key...grrr!)
    Friday, September 2, 2011 10:24 PM