none
HP Home Server Price RRS feed

• General discussion

• This is my first time posting in this forum I have only had WHS for a couple weeks now but I am generally impressed with it. I am running it on a Amd 64 3200+ (2.0ghz) with 1 gb RAM and about 700 GB storage. But what I wanted to say is don't you think HP's WHS kit overpriced? I mean for $500 you get Amd Live Semperon 1.8 ghz 512 RAM and 500 gb serial ata hdd. I could build a $500 WHS for the same price with a dual core processor and more RAM. What do you think? Am I missing something haha?
    • Moved by T. HeadrickMicrosoft employee Friday, October 31, 2008 4:40 PM hardware thread (Moved from Windows Home Server Software to Windows Home Server Hardware)
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 5:20 AM

All replies

• When you buy a mediasmart, you get removable bays, a nice design, and support.  Hp will support your server for a year or more.  You also get the TZO domain and did I mention support/warranty?

There are people who can't build their own pc's, let alone find good prices for components.  Mediasmarts are just plug in and they work.  They look nice also.

athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 9 drives totaling about 3.5 tbs.
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 6:12 AM
  • I'm capable of building my own WHS box, but from a cost-benefit ratio, it doesn't work for me!! Far cheaper to buy the HP MSS, get the support, the works out of the box experience, the warranty and use the product for the 2 business I run, than try to squeeze out a few dollars on the front end, only to end up pay 100's of dollars on the back end when things don't work out. Just a business/practical decision that is best for ME. Do what works best for you, but understand that each person's needs/requirements cost-benefit ratios are different!!
    Friday, October 31, 2008 3:01 AM
  • I also looked into building my own.  Probably would have saved ~$100.  However, I am glad I got the "out of box" setup.  I had big problems to begin with that ended up being a router issue.  HP supported my all the way.  I even got a call at home from their project manager to help me out.  Imagine that, a live person calling me to make sure my issue was resolved, really did care, and added the diagnostic info into HP's database so the next guy has an answer.  I was able to tell him it was fixed (guys on this forum helped me greatly, and it was over a weekend)

So, for that $100 - it was worth it.  I didn't think anybody had that level of support anymore!

Now I also called Microsoft during this timeframe and they tried- but lets say their support was "typical"

Raff
    Friday, October 31, 2008 3:14 AM
  • xx66stangxx said:

This is my first time posting in this forum I have only had WHS for a couple weeks now but I am generally impressed with it. I am running it on a Amd 64 3200+ (2.0ghz) with 1 gb RAM and about 700 GB storage. But what I wanted to say is don't you think HP's WHS kit overpriced? I mean for $500 you get Amd Live Semperon 1.8 ghz 512 RAM and 500 gb serial ata hdd. I could build a $500 WHS for the same price with a dual core processor and more RAM. What do you think? Am I missing something haha?

Ahhh, I love these opinion posts. :)

You will obviously get differing points of view on this.  IMO, the HP MSS was way too overpriced when it first came out ($650 for the EX470).  That, coupled with the bare minimum 512 MB RAM in the system (and not upgradable without voiding the warranty) are the reasons why I built my own.  (I have been my own support for a long time so I wasn't too worried about that either.)

Now that the MSS has come down in price (and HP now allows you to upgrade the RAM without voiding the warranty), I can see how some people would consider it an option (although I still wouldn't buy a pre-built machine).  I prefer the DIY route when it comes to computers.

Friday, October 31, 2008 3:32 AM
  • xx66stangxx said:

This is my first time posting in this forum I have only had WHS for a couple weeks now but I am generally impressed with it. I am running it on a Amd 64 3200+ (2.0ghz) with 1 gb RAM and about 700 GB storage. But what I wanted to say is don't you think HP's WHS kit overpriced? I mean for $500 you get Amd Live Semperon 1.8 ghz 512 RAM and 500 gb serial ata hdd. I could build a $500 WHS for the same price with a dual core processor and more RAM. What do you think? Am I missing something haha?

my 2 cents:

Building yourself is in general cheaper, always a bit of risk, especially if you get the latest hardware. If you get mainstream hardware that's been on the market for a year or so you can search the web for performance / compatibilty / driver and other issues before deciding on what to buy. If you don't there's a fair chance you'll run into all kinds problems (and then blame WHS).

I also  build my machines myself, mostly from stuff others no longer want. 

I've built energy efficient WHS with all new hardware for less then  $250 (hardware only, add WHS OEM license price) which has two 500 GB hdd 1 GB RAM and runs smoother and faster then HPMediasmart out of the box.

However I also have HP mediasmart and I must admit design is really awesome. It combines beautiful looks with a very efficient design. After upgrading RAM to 1 GB it also runs perfectly. Personally I think the HP units are definitely NOT overpriced.

Friday, October 31, 2008 4:08 AM
  • Thanks for all the replies. It does make sense for the business aspect, Shangwe, because you can't afford to lose data for a business. However for me this is just a experiment I can afford to have my WHS to have issues because I have all my music, hw and ext. backed up to two more hdd's on my desktop anyways. I still prefer to have a home built server over HP's but just my opinion.
    Friday, October 31, 2008 4:09 AM
  • xx66stangxx said:

Hello Bud

Here is my setup and how much i did spend...

Tyan Transport GT20 Dual Xeon Based 1U Barebones Server B5350G20S2H-LC Tyan Transport GT20 Dual Xeon Based 1U Barebones Server B5350G20S2H-LC
    -Tyan Transport GT20 Dual Xeon Based 1U Server=$79.99 Paid!
    -2 XEON PROCESSORS 800 Fsb 3.2= $89,00 a piece Paid!
    -6GB 2700 DDR 333 = $221.00 Paid!
    -2TB X Seagate Barracuda 3gbs 32m. = $99.00 each Paid!
    -Ups 550 es $69,99 Paid!

Jay Cya!

Friday, October 31, 2008 5:11 AM
  • Nice setup BOPEUS. How are the Xeon's working out for you? I am thinking about upgrading my server to a core duo Intel or an Amd Athlon x2 cpu. Tiger Direct usually has good mobo+cpu combos for around $130. I would get a xeon cpu(s) but just seems like a bit much for just a home server. But if I had the money I would get Xeon cpus haha.
    Friday, October 31, 2008 6:06 AM
  • Hello xx66stangxx

Let me tell you I loved it, Xeon is "HD" 24/7 on for the past 60 days, also whs is awesome no crashes no problems no nothing.
    I'm starting to build my media center PC also based on Tyan but on GT24 dual
    AMD Opteron™ 8000 Series (Socket 1207) quad core, I will let you know how that will come out.

Best Regards

Tyan Transport GT20 Dual Xeon Based 1U Barebones Server B5350G20S2H-LC Tyan Transport GT20 Dual Xeon Based 1U Barebones Server B5350G20S2H-LC
    -Tyan Transport GT20 Dual Xeon Based 1U Server=$79.99!
    -2 XEON PROCESSORS 800 Fsb 3.2= $89,00 each!
    -6GB 2700 DDR 333 = $221.00 Paid!
    -2TB X Seagate Barracuda 3gbs 32m. = $99.00 each!
    -Ups 550 es $69.99!
    -ANYONE CAN BUILD ONE...
    -Jay Cya!

Friday, October 31, 2008 6:27 AM