How do I upgrade from Vail beta to RTM? RRS feed

• Question

• I have the RC, or beta (dont remember which version actually) from the beta programme from Microsoft.

Now, I've decided to buy the final version of the 2011, and was wondering how to best update this, without loosing any information on the server?

I found an article showing the WHS V1, where the author just installed with the new DVD (RTM version) and selected Server Reinstallation.

Will this also work with the 2011 version?

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 12:32 PM

Answers

• It will run for a while yet, but you should avoid committing more data to your server. 

As for the version you have, it doesn't really matter. You should wipe the system as a best practice (leave no trace of the beta). Since you have a backup, you should be able to recover everything by restoring it from that. Is the backup via the server backup functionality, or some third party solution you've chosen?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 1:14 AM
  • You should start by backing up all your data. It sounds like you committed significant amounts of data to your server; I would never assume that an upgrade from beta to RTM will be completely seamless so you should take steps to preserve your data.

Once you have your data backed up, the best thing to do is wipe your server completely, and reinstall. Then you can restore your data to the shares (moving them to other drives as appropriate). Anything else will involve a lot of disk and data shuffling, as you copy data from one location to another, empty drives, add them to server storage, and copy more data.

You should, in any case, not expect to keep the client computer backups you have now.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 12:57 PM

All replies

• You should start by backing up all your data. It sounds like you committed significant amounts of data to your server; I would never assume that an upgrade from beta to RTM will be completely seamless so you should take steps to preserve your data.

Once you have your data backed up, the best thing to do is wipe your server completely, and reinstall. Then you can restore your data to the shares (moving them to other drives as appropriate). Anything else will involve a lot of disk and data shuffling, as you copy data from one location to another, empty drives, add them to server storage, and copy more data.

You should, in any case, not expect to keep the client computer backups you have now.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 12:57 PM
  • Also depends on which version of Vail you were using (not sure whether they have all expired yet). Don't forget that Drive Extender has gone, so you will need to manage your data store manually.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 1:15 PM
  • Ken: Thanks for for your suggestions. I have one USB disk backing up the system disk and the storage disk, so I think my data is somewhat "secure". I'll probably connect a second disk to have a third copy of my "crucial" data though :)

The text at the WHS server desktop says:

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard

Build 7601

The version I got from the microsoft download page is now expired and I get "you have to activate" every time I log on to the server.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 2:18 PM
  • It will run for a while yet, but you should avoid committing more data to your server. 

As for the version you have, it doesn't really matter. You should wipe the system as a best practice (leave no trace of the beta). Since you have a backup, you should be able to recover everything by restoring it from that. Is the backup via the server backup functionality, or some third party solution you've chosen?

Thursday, July 21, 2011 1:14 AM
  • OK Ken, So I'll:

1. unplug the internal 1,5TB storage disk
    2. unplug the external 1,5TB backup disk
    3. format the 500GB system disk
    4. install the new WHS 2011 on the system disk as it was a completely new install (BUT: with or without the internal storage disk plugged in?)
    5. connect the internal storage disk (I'm now assuming this will be empty in some way?)
    6. Set up the server again (users, remote access, utorrent etc)
    7. connect the USB backup disk to the server
    8. ? (how to restore the data) 
    9. ?
    10. I know - I have to have it with a teaspoon (or smaller...) Basicly, why I'm trying to sum it up this way, is that I'm not been able to find this in the forum and I hope this could be for future reference for someone else also :)

The backup is via the server backup solution, not anything 3rd party.

Regarding 5: I'm not sure if I should install the new WHS 2011 with both internal HDDs connected?

Thursday, July 21, 2011 10:04 AM
  • I would wipe both internal disks, then leave them connected during installation. Not doing so will leave data on the disk not connected; this disk will appear as "D:" after you complete installation, but this data will not be in your shares. Possibly elements of the client computer backups will also be left behind (if you had moved the backup database to the second disk); you should start fresh with a new database so these won't be useful. Having the data on the second disk sounds useful (less to restore), but in practice has proven to be a pain in the butt. :)

What I have done to restore files to my server when upgrading from one version to another using server backup is to use the GUI interface that you can access from the server's desktop. This will let you select the disk you've backed up to, what exactly you want to restore (you will want to restore each share separately, as you have two data disks some data will eventually go to each) and where you want to restore it to. If your server is full now, you will want to take note of where each share is today, and move shares post-installation (but prior to restoring data) to the same disks.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 10:19 AM
  • Hey ken,

So basically i have the same situation, its the home server RC, its done today. So if i purchase WHS 2011 .... i could format the System disk... reinstall WHS 2011 and the two addtional disks i have all the shares on can be re-added. 

All the files should be there to be seen, i can then add the shares to each disk and move all the data from G:\ServerFolders to the NEW G:\ServerFolders right :) 

I just want to confirm this will work so i do not have to start moving data all over the place.

Regards and thanks for your great input

James

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 2:47 AM
  • This may help - it's how I did it:

In Vail, moved all shared folders to my main 2TB data drive
        Shut down Vail and removed connections to 2TB drive and did a fresh WHS2011 install on the 500GB boot disk on which Server Folders were created.
        Shut down server and reconnect 2TB drive. Booted and renamed all Server Folders on 2TB drive as NameOld (e.g. MusicOld)
        Ran the Move Folder wizard from the Dashboard to move Shared folders from D: to E: (2TB drive).
        Logged in locally and moved files from MusicOld to Music (both on same 2TB disk) and deleted the NameOld folders.

This worked for all my data and took no time at all as there was no copying from disk to disk.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 12:09 PM
  • Ok thats what i thought !! thanks Phil, sometimes confirmation just puts my mind at ease :)

This is one of the plus sides of not having drive extender used!

THnak you for the reply.

Cheers,

James

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 1:49 PM