Server Backup to USB 3.0 Disk - anyone have it working? RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone have this consistently working (to a 2TB or smaller disk) or is this statement from Microsoft 100% accurate?

"Backup target drive

You can back up your data to any external storage drive that supports USB 2.0, IEEE 1394, or eSATA."

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 7:38 PM

All replies

• You'll need to try it and see if it works for you. I've seen reports of problems with some USB 3.0 drives, connected to some USB 3.0 adapters, having trouble with backup, but I've also seen reports that say everything worked just fine. It's quite possibly a driver issue: some drivers work well, and others work poorly. But I don't know for sure.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 9:57 PM
  • Ken

Thanks for the reply - no it does not work for me which is why I asked the question. I get intermittent failues - or I am told the backup has failed but the backups seem good and I can restore files from them. See this thread for more nformation on what seems to be causing it:

Access Denied

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 10:06 PM
  • Intermittent failures of the Windows 7/Windows Server 2008 R2 backup engine are consistent with what I've heard reports of. My opinion is that it's caused by problematic drivers (possibly combined with something non-standard that the backup engine might be doing to improve performance) but I have no proof. Overall, I'm not impressed enough with USB 3.0 reliability to switch to it, especially since I have a small mountain of eSATA drives. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thursday, February 9, 2012 1:44 AM
  • $99 for 2TB LaCie drives in very nice brushed aluminium external enclosures was too good to miss, particulary with the current price of hard disks. They work fine on W7 Backup & Restore, just not WHS 2011. As I said, the backups seem to be complete (as far as I have tested them) it's just WHS reports the backup as having failed.

Thursday, February 9, 2012 1:55 AM
  • $99 for 2TB LaCie drives in very nice brushed aluminium external enclosures was too good to miss

Link please?! I'd buy one (or two) just to help you out! ;-)

• Edited by maxblack Friday, February 10, 2012 3:21 PM
    Friday, February 10, 2012 3:21 PM
  • Indeed - they were from BestBuy (LaCie Minimus 2TB USB 3.0) and I bought two! They sold out fairly quickly at that price - they are currently $189.99!! Bought them late last year when disk prices were at their peak.

Friday, February 10, 2012 3:34 PM
  • Indeed - they were from BestBuy (LaCie Minimus 2TB USB 3.0) and I bought two! They sold out fairly quickly at that price - they are currently $189.99!! Bought them late last year when disk prices were at their peak.
    Oh, geez I thought this was recent. Yeah I got a 2TB USB3.0 Seagate last year from geeks for maybe $70 bucks refurbished and it was perfect. Those were the days. But I've been using it w/other PCs so I can't apply to WHS. Now running a $109 Seagate Green 2TB (newegg) with a Rosewill eSATA dock. So far so good.
    Friday, February 10, 2012 10:35 PM