How to figure out why WHS is not waking up PC for backups? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a lenovo R61 thinkpad w\ windows 7 x64 ultimate (alll updates applied). Previously it was backing up perfectly. I recently purchased a new SSD drive for the machine. So i basically just swapped out the SSD for my old hard drive. I restored the ssd from my last backup for this machine. The only thing i changed in the power management was for the machine to no longer hibernate because of concerns about wear/tear on the ssd. So i have the machine just sleep now and not hibernate. I always get an error saying it was not able to start the backup. In the morning when i wake the machine it will always try to backup almost immediatly but i always cancel it because i'm about to head out the door. What do i need to diagnose why its having trouble backing up?

thanks...

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 5:00 AM

All replies

• I noticed two things:

1. Allow wake timers was false. I heard that whs requires this. So i just changed it to true and i will see if the backup is sucessful tonight.

2. Under the power management on my wireless adapter i noticed that "allow this device to wake up the computer" was not checked. I don't know if this setting matters but i checked it just to make sure. 

Also FYI. When the machine sleeps at night its always plugged in. I understand it backups will not work if your not plugged in.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 5:38 AM
  • Backups (and waking for them) are initiated from the client. Windows Home Server doesn't use Wake On LAN or any other server-based mechanism to wake the client.

In general, if a computer won't wake for backup, it's an issue on the client. It could be a misconfiguration, a hardware issue, etc.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 1:21 PM