Error code: 0x80070043. The network name cannot be found RRS feed

• Question

• Getting the above error when I try to open (explore) the Whs server or one of its shares as a network share - for instance in Windows explorer in order to copy a file to the WHS server.

At the same time I can connect to the WHS server using the "network name" through remote desktop, and through the WHS Console.

So I don't get it: How can "the network name not be found", yet the WHS server shows up in my "network sharing center" as a shared resource, and the above mentioned applications connect to it and work as expected?

Sometimes if I reboot my PC the problem goes away and I can connect without the error; however it always seems to return again at a later point.

Thanks
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 7:58 AM

All replies

• I'm getting the same error when trying to access a local DVD drive- the folder opens and I can navigate it, but when I run the install file, even if I select 'run as administrator' i get asked for a password. I've never experienced this before- any guidance? I recently did an upgrade to Vista and I did have some permission issues on the data partition of my drive that are all now fixed- but I don't know why I'd have issues accessing a DVD drive?

Any help much appreicated- I hope I've done the right think adding reply to this rather than starting a new question- I certainly don't want to hijact the question from firedog55 and am adding as it may be part of the same issue...
    Friday, July 3, 2009 2:43 PM
  • I'm getting the same error when trying to access a local DVD drive- the folder opens and I can navigate it, but when I run the install file, even if I select 'run as administrator' i get asked for a password. I've never experienced this before- any guidance? I recently did an upgrade to Vista and I did have some permission issues on the data partition of my drive that are all now fixed- but I don't know why I'd have issues accessing a DVD drive?

Any help much appreicated- I hope I've done the right think adding reply to this rather than starting a new question- I certainly don't want to hijact the question from firedog55 and am adding as it may be part of the same issue...

First, this forum is for Windows Home Server.  You should post your question in the Vista forums.  Also, it's usually better to start your own thread instead of adding to someone else's (primary because although the symptoms may be the same as someone else's, it doesn't always mean the solution is the same).
    Friday, July 3, 2009 3:09 PM
  • It seems that the DNS table has not properly flushed in your system.
    if you have xp the fix may work easy. if u have vista u can't do it so easy.

go into command prompt and ping your dns and dhcp servers.

if the ping results don't parse an ip address it confirms that your dns table is awry.(messed up)

Quick fix:
    use ip addresses instead of pc names.

if you can flush your dns and repopulate it then do that and repeat the pinging diagnostics.

chitosan

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 6:17 PM