Moving image files to a remote "backup" disk RRS feed

• Question

• I use SyncToy 1.4 to backup image files from my computer's hard disk to two external disks - using ECHO mode, this works fine.

I now want to stop using image files from last year on my computer hard disk as they are not used that much, I need to reclaim the storage, and I have them backup up twice on the external disks.

If I delete last year's image files from my computer hard disk, SyncToy's "Left Folder" would of course not show the 2007 images but would the next ECHO backup of my computer hard disk also delete the files on my external disks?

Thanks,
       dan
    Monday, March 31, 2008 8:47 PM

All replies

• Hi -

The "Echo" option reflects all changes on the left side of the folder pair to the right - including deletes. So if you want these images preserved on the right side you should not use "Echo". A true backup option would be "Contribute" - where all changes on the left side are reflected on the right EXCEPT for delete. You should be able to change your FolderPair sync option from "Echo" to "Contribute"

Thanks

Deepa

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 10:11 PM
  • Hi -

The "Echo" option reflects all changes on the left side of the folder pair to the right - including deletes. So if you want these images preserved on the right side you should not use "Echo". A true backup option would be "Contribute" - where all changes on the left side are reflected on the right EXCEPT for deletes. You should be able to change your FolderPair sync option from "Echo" to "Contribute"

Thanks

Deepa

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 10:11 PM
  •  Deepa Choundappan wrote:

Hi -

The "Echo" option reflects all changes on the left side of the folder pair to the right - including deletes. So if you want these images preserved on the right side you should not use "Echo". A true backup option would be "Contribute" - where all changes on the left side are reflected on the right EXCEPT for deletes. You should be able to change your FolderPair sync option from "Echo" to "Contribute"

Thanks

Deepa

Ok I see that but wouldn't changing my mode from Echo to Contribute mean that any file that I purposely delete from my computer would not be deleted from my backup disk. Thus, any temp file that is later deleted would always remain on the backup disk. I was hoping I could just uncheck the parent folder for the 2007 files and SyncToy would totally ignore the folder.
         dan
    Wednesday, April 2, 2008 12:13 AM