Automatic Updates downloading process shows 22.80 MB of 6.80 MB... RRS feed

Answers

All replies

• It may be just a bug, did it still update
    HMG
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 11:36 AM
  • I've seen this (downloading x MB of y MB, where x and y aren't even close) before. I believe Windows Updates has a field which tells it internally how large an update is (6.8 MB). The actual download may be the same size, or it may be larger or smaller. If it's fairly close, you'll never notice, since after all there's not much difference between 22.8 MB and 23.1 MB. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 1:52 PM
  • Funny counting of progress bar... I have a screenshot... don't know how to show the image here but here is the link: http://www.4shared.com/file/193018026/ceb8730d/dowload_progress_bar.html

Does anyone know why this count is wrong?
    I had the same thing for Power Pack 3 (probably because it's multiple updates combined into one package).  Don't worry about it as long as PP3 installs successfully.
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 5:13 PM
  • Ken,
    Thanks for your response.

I wonder why can't these developers write a code to report and show the actual stuff that is taking place - these kind of small errors don't pose any hurdles on immediate functionality but builds distrust. Now, I may want to question everything that is being reported and shown by Microsoft programs... though for techies non-developers like me, there aren't other ways to cross check.

I am not expecting this issue to be resolved or fixed - but just want to bring up a thought in other angle. WHS is a great and conceptual product by far.
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 5:37 PM
  • Kariya,
    Thanks for your response. Yes - the power pack installation went through smoothly.
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 5:38 PM
  • Yes - the update was smooth.
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 5:39 PM
  • Ken,
    Thanks for your response.

I wonder why can't these developers write a code to report and show the actual stuff that is taking place - these kind of small errors don't pose any hurdles on immediate functionality but builds distrust. Now, I may want to question everything that is being reported and shown by Microsoft programs... though for techies non-developers like me, there aren't other ways to cross check.

I am not expecting this issue to be resolved or fixed - but just want to bring up a thought in other angle. WHS is a great and conceptual product by far.
    My guess is the fact that PP3 pulls in Windows Search 4.0 as well (which is a competely separate update that is not controlled by the WHS team).  The first number is probably the combined total of the 2, while the second number is probably the size of one or the other by itself.  In any event, I'd be willing to bet it's the same as why there are no SATA drivers in the WHS image:  it's sealed and there would have to be a complete rewrite and quality check just to combine into one (which would be a complete waste of time and resources).
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 5:51 PM