Non-pooled network drive on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I want to dedicate a non-pooled drive on WHS to use for real time mirrors of security camera files. I want to be able to map this as a network drive on the security system computer so I cam mirror files to it. For non time critical data I will let WHS take care of that. I have not found a way to do this by right clicking the drive letter and then enabling drive sharing.

There is really no reason to have a server if I can't put my security camera files on it and it would be silly to have two servers one with XP pro and one with WHS.

Perry
    Monday, November 23, 2009 12:19 AM

All replies

• What you want to do isn't supported by Windows Home Server; it will only allow you to share and manipulate drives that are in the storage pool. You can, of course, do so by logging into the server directly, instead of through the console, and sharing the drive manually. But why not just set your security system up to map and mirror directly to a share in the pool?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 23, 2009 12:40 AM
  • Well how do I configure a shared folder as a drive? How do you get a shared folder so you can write to it like its a drive? If I can't find a way to do this then I might as well just install XP pro on my server machine and just use it as a big network drive. WHS has some nice features but those are secondary to having a network drive that is writeable.

Perry
    Monday, November 23, 2009 3:27 AM
  • Well how do I configure a shared folder as a drive?

You just map a network share as a drive on your security system computer.  It's no different than any other mapping.  See KB308582 for details.

How do you get a shared folder so you can write to it like its a drive?

By setting the appropriate permissions.  But as Ken said, just map to a WHS share (there is no need for a seperate non-pooled drive).

If I can't find a way to do this then I might as well just install XP pro on my server machine and just use it as a big network drive. WHS has some nice features but those are secondary to having a network drive that is writeable.

Perry

Monday, November 23, 2009 5:42 AM
  • Ok I figured out how to do this. Now can anyone recommend a real time drive sync program that lets me mirror a drive on one computer to the network drive on the server? I have been using Allwaysync. It works ok I guess but though MS might have something better. Synctoys is not what I want because it only syncs files on demand. I want something that maintains exact copies on the network drive as changes are made. Allsync works but it is kinda crude. I have it set to sync once a minute and it scans the whole folder everytime is does this. It would seem that keeping track of just changes to the folder would be more efficient than scanning every file in the folder once a minute.

Perry
    Monday, November 23, 2009 8:34 PM
  • I would use robocopy. It's a Microsoft tool, part of desktop operating systems since Vista, and available for download from Microsoft. It's capable of monitoring the contents of a folder and syncing after a configurable number of changes have been detected. You'll find more information about robocopy on Technet.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 23, 2009 9:03 PM
  • Thanks for the tip Ken but I think robocopy is a little over my head. I don't do IT for a living and don't have the time to hack at it. I wear too many hats.

Perry
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:23 AM
  • Live Sync is super easy to use and will track changes as they occur
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 11:58 PM