Newbie questions RRS feed

• Question

• Just installed WHS eval version onto a home server i built. (P4, 1.5GB RAM, 2T HDD)

couple of questions. 

1)  i understand that WHS duplicates files in the shared folders across mulitple drives to guard against HDD failure; but what about al the backup data from other PCs?  does this data get duplicated across mutliple drives also?  I don't see or read anywhere that it does.

2) what about backing up the primary partition with the WHS OS itself?  how and/or does this get done?  i heard that power pack 1 now does this by i don't recall being presented with an option here during the install.

thanks!
    Monday, January 19, 2009 9:38 PM

Answers

• The backup database is, by design, essentially fungible. If you lose the backup database, you simply recreate it from the PCs that are joined to your server, and you're back in business. (I.e. your home PCs are the backup for the backup database.) So no, it's not duplicated. There is an unsupported registry edit that you can make that will cause them to be duplicated; I don't use it personally but others that do have said that it seems to be harmless even in extended use.

The primary (SYS) partition is also considered sacrificial; if you suffer a disk failure on your system drive, or OS corruption, you would perform a server reinstallation. This is a special installation mode that will refresh the system partition, but leave all your data alone. In the case of a drive failure, it will also recreate the links between the files in your storage pool so that they will be accessible in your shares again. A server reinstallation therefore preserves your shares, and (normally) your backup database. It doesn't preserve users (though personal shares are preserved and reconnected upon recreation of the user), installed add-ins, and any tweaks/additional software installed using access methods such as remote desktop or physical console.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 19, 2009 9:48 PM