New guy needs advice: Mail Server on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Let me start by saying that I don't know my elbow from a server.  However, now that WHS is out, I think it can help to resolve some family conflicts.

I have a hand full of computers on a home LAN but still have conflicts over the use of individual machines.  For example, my wife uses a particular machine to access her mail using MS Exchange.  She has too much mail to keep on the ISP server, so it ends up on one machine.  If one of the kids is using 'her' machine, then she can't look at email.

Or if one of the kids is has a school project going, they place the data on one particular machine.  I know that file sharing can solve this issue, and that is the other reason that I want WHS.  Then all user data is on the WHS box and can be accessed from any local machine.

So, I want to run a program on WHS that does the following:

1)  Looks like a POP client from my ISP's perspective.  Checks in on some type of schedule, collects mail, and then deletes from the ISP server.

2)  Looks like an IMAP server from the mail client's perspective.  Now with WHS, I can pile up ridiculous amounts of mail on the WHS server and it can be seen from any machine on the LAN.  Now my wife can see her mail on any machine in the house.

I don't have, or want, my own domain.  I use the Verizon domain (e.g. doesn't_know_his_elbow_from_a_server@verizon.net).  I just want this 'middle man' software to store and serve mail on the WHS box.

Does this type of software exist?  Is it compatible with WHS?  Can a rank amateur install and administer it?  Please say it's free.  Or maybe I should jus return the OEM version of WHS upon arrival without opening it.

Thanks for your pity,

Jeff

Sunday, January 20, 2008 5:29 AM

Answers

All replies

• If you want something free (up to 3 users) and simple try Netmail:  http://www.shamrock.de/en/server.htm

Sunday, January 20, 2008 6:00 AM
  • Not free, but I'm using this on WHS:

http://www.softalkltd.com/products/workgroupmail/

It's very easy to set up and administer and should do what you need:

http://www.softalkltd.com/products/workgroupmail/features.asp

Here's one thing to consider - if you put a mail server on your WHS machine, you better be running an anti-virus on the server also.

If not, any infected inbound mail has the potential to infect your WHS machine.  If your client computers that access the WHS to collect mail are all running AV, the infected mails will obviously be caught.

Right now Avast! is the only provider of WHS compatible anti-virus software, and it's not free.

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-windows-home-server-edition.html

Also, read this thread about e-mail on the WHS.  You will see what some of the other users are doing about e-mail.  There are some other free solutions that are out there. (Don't forget about using AV!)

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1223160&SiteID=50

Good Luck.

Also - since you are new to WHS, please read this thread. (I don't wan't to scare you off or spread fear, but before you get too much time, effort, $, or data invested into your WHS machine you should know that there are some unresolved data corruption issues.)

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2642866&SiteID=50

Sunday, January 20, 2008 4:12 PM
  • "If you want something free (up to 3 users) and simple try Netmail:  http://www.shamrock.de/en/server.htm"

Thanks for the pointer.  I'll check it out.

Jeff

Sunday, January 20, 2008 8:17 PM
  •  CPTBeaker wrote:

Not free, but I'm using this on WHS:

http://www.softalkltd.com/products/workgroupmail/

It's very easy to set up and administer and should do what you need:

http://www.softalkltd.com/products/workgroupmail/features.asp

Here's one thing to consider - if you put a mail server on your WHS machine, you better be running an anti-virus on the server also.

If not, any infected inbound mail has the potential to infect your WHS machine.  If your client computers that access the WHS to collect mail are all running AV, the infected mails will obviously be caught.

Right now Avast! is the only provider of WHS compatible anti-virus software, and it's not free.

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-windows-home-server-edition.html

Also, read this thread about e-mail on the WHS.  You will see what some of the other users are doing about e-mail.  There are some other free solutions that are out there. (Don't forget about using AV!)

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1223160&SiteID=50

Good Luck.

Also - since you are new to WHS, please read this thread. (I don't wan't to scare you off or spread fear, but before you get too much time, effort, $, or data invested into your WHS machine you should know that there are some unresolved data corruption issues.)

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2642866&SiteID=50

Thanks for the pointer to workgroupmail.  I'm dead set against paying, it only seemed to me that my needs were few and might be met by something small - and maybe free.  Time is valuable too, so using something that is known to be easy to set up and administer is definitely worth something.

Also, thanks for the tip on running AV on WHS- that hadn't occured to me.  Clearly, I'm in over my head - but I try not to let it slow me down.

Wrt the data corruption issue with WHS - I was aware of the issue, but thanks for pointing it out.  I expect (hope) the the WHS team will figure that out before I'm ready to deploy.  I'm home brewing a box, installing an OS, learning how to install/use/administer a server, and eventually migrating my SageTV PVR into the WHS box.  All this will take time, and I'm in no particular hurry.  I will run the WHS box on the side and not depend on it for data integrity until then.

Thanks for your time, and the good advice.

Jeff

Sunday, January 20, 2008 8:32 PM
  • Have a look at SmarterMail, they have a free edition for up to 10 users. http://www.smartertools.com/Products/SmarterMail/Free.aspx. POP3 download from multiple sources into its mailboxes. Nice webmail interface. Can integrate into Homeserver IIS and be externally accessible via a "whoever.homeserver.com/mymail" type URL. Can use as local IMAP or POP3 server for family. Also connector for Outlook and PocketPC, Appointments, Contacts etc.

Sunday, January 20, 2008 8:41 PM
  •  

If you are a Verizon DSL subscriber, then you should look at http://www.verizon.net/micro/betterway/.  Basically, what it does is allows you to use Hotmail (Windows Live) with your @verizon.net account, and after that's set up, you can use Outlook (with addin) or Windows Live Mail to deltasync between the Hotmail account and any computer.  The mailbox cap is 2GB, and if you have more mail than that, then I feel sorry for you, but that's another story.

I have Windows Live Custom Domains (or whatever it's called, they changed the name recently) for my own domain, accessible from Hotmail/Windows Live, as well as a Office Live domain, plus a hotmail generic acct, all syncing to Windows Live Mail.  It works out pretty nicely imho, since I don't have to worry about spam/viruses (most of them get filtered out), and in a pinch I can go to www.hotmail.com and look at my mail that way.

That way, you don't have to worry about setting up a mail server, the related headache associated with it (I used to run my own mail server), and don't have to worry about backing up the mail (if the server crashes, any of the above solution will take out your mail into the bitbucket in the sky).  If you don't want to install the "MSN Premium" software, try calling their tech support to see if they can convert your mailbox into a hotmail box without having to install the software.

-- Starfox

Sunday, January 20, 2008 11:39 PM
  •  amarsh wrote:

Have a look at SmarterMail, they have a free edition for up to 10 users. http://www.smartertools.com/Products/SmarterMail/Free.aspx. POP3 download from multiple sources into its mailboxes. Nice webmail interface. Can integrate into Homeserver IIS and be externally accessible via a "whoever.homeserver.com/mymail" type URL. Can use as local IMAP or POP3 server for family. Also connector for Outlook and PocketPC, Appointments, Contacts etc.

Sounds like another good prospect.  What is IIS?  I've seen several references to it but don't see anything popping out of Google about it.

Thanks

Monday, January 21, 2008 1:25 AM
  •  RealityBytes wrote:

If you are a Verizon DSL subscriber, then you should look at http://www.verizon.net/micro/betterway/.  Basically, what it does is allows you to use Hotmail (Windows Live) with your @verizon.net account, and after that's set up, you can use Outlook (with addin) or Windows Live Mail to deltasync between the Hotmail account and any computer.  The mailbox cap is 2GB, and if you have more mail than that, then I feel sorry for you, but that's another story.

I have Windows Live Custom Domains (or whatever it's called, they changed the name recently) for my own domain, accessible from Hotmail/Windows Live, as well as a Office Live domain, plus a hotmail generic acct, all syncing to Windows Live Mail.  It works out pretty nicely imho, since I don't have to worry about spam/viruses (most of them get filtered out), and in a pinch I can go to www.hotmail.com and look at my mail that way.

My wife has a lot of talents, but adapting to computer technology doesn't seem to be one of them.  I tried unsuccessfully to migrate her to gmail.  She doesn't want to have to start up a new account or anything else that involves change.  I want to make an honest attempt to make this as easy for her as possible.

I can't use my Verizon (FIOS, not DSL) acct any more because of all the spam.  Gmail does such a good job, for me, filtering out the noise.  I've long since given up on my Verizon acct.  Two of the kids have moved to free web mail, for various reasons.  Though I do like gmail, I am fully aware of Google's policy of scanning, and owning data hosted on their servers - and this I do not like.

RealityBytes wrote:

That way, you don't have to worry about setting up a mail server, the related headache associated with it (I used to run my own mail server), and don't have to worry about backing up the mail (if the server crashes, any of the above solution will take out your mail into the bitbucket in the sky).  If you don't want to install the "MSN Premium" software, try calling their tech support to see if they can convert your mailbox into a hotmail box without having to install the software.

-- Starfox

I think this mail server could be the death of me.  I'm getting the feeling that it's more trouble than I'm willing to tolerate.  I'm having fun learning a little about networking, servers, and such; but I don't know that I want to be a slave to it.  I'll probably try out one of the solutions mentioned in this thread and try it out using one of the spare IPS accounts.

Thanks for your time.

Jeff

Monday, January 21, 2008 1:43 AM
  •  Spitzer wrote:
    What is IIS?  I've seen several references to it but don't see anything popping out of Google about it.

It's MS Internet Information Services, so basically a webserver. A bit what Apache is to Linux. If I Google IIS I get:

Internet Information Services

A powerful Web server, Internet Information Services (IIS) 6.0 is available in all versions of Windows Server 2003 and provides a highly reliable, ...
    www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/iis/default.mspx - 20k - In cache - Gelijkwaardige pagina's

Internet Information Services - Wikipedia

IIS (Microsoft Internet Information Services of Server) is een verzameling server-diensten voor het Internet bedoeld voor Windows-machines. ...
    nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Information_Services - 21k - In cache - Gelijkwaardige pagina's
    Monday, January 21, 2008 1:44 AM
  •  Spitzer wrote:
    My wife has a lot of talents, but adapting to computer technology doesn't seem to be one of them.  I tried unsuccessfully to migrate her to gmail.  She doesn't want to have to start up a new account or anything else that involves change.  I want to make an honest attempt to make this as easy for her as possible.

I can't use my Verizon (FIOS, not DSL) acct any more because of all the spam.  Gmail does such a good job, for me, filtering out the noise.  I've long since given up on my Verizon acct.  Two of the kids have moved to free web mail, for various reasons.  Though I do like gmail, I am fully aware of Google's policy of scanning, and owning data hosted on their servers - and this I do not like.

I think this mail server could be the death of me.  I'm getting the feeling that it's more trouble than I'm willing to tolerate.  I'm having fun learning a little about networking, servers, and such; but I don't know that I want to be a slave to it.  I'll probably try out one of the solutions mentioned in this thread and try it out using one of the spare IPS accounts.

Regardless of the method you choose, there is going to be change.  You said you were using Exchange - you don't mean Exchange the client, right?  That thing hasn't been supported in...  It came out with Win95?  And Outlook basically replaced it.  Outlook _is_ the new version of Exchange, and Windows Live Mail the new version of Outlook Express.

If you move her acct to hotmail, she still will be using Outlook/WLM.  She'll still have the same e-mail address, and I think the Verizon-MSN thing does filter spam at the source, although I'm not sure (you'll have to talk to Verizon tech support on how integrated it is with Windows Live).  My box used to get a good 20+ spam a day until I moved my domain e-mail stuff to Windows Live - now, I see 2-3 spam a week that gets put into a spam folder, and I've seen maybe 2 or 3 in the past year that slipped past their filters.  Hotmail used to have a bad rep for being a spam haven, but MS cleaned up their act very decently.

WLM is, I'm afraid to admit, real good at what it does.  I have no problem monitoring 4 e-mail acct that I know any other e-mail software would basically croak at or I would get frustrated in dealing with.  Their integration with Windows Live aka Hotmail is very well done, and deltasync (the new method of syncing with Hotmail) is capable of having multiple computers access the same mail acct, and not throw a hissy fit about it.  I could have WLM, Hotmail in a browser, and my mobile phone all syncing to the same acct, and when a mail arrives I get notification on all of it, and when I read the message on one, within a few minutes all the clients know that I've read the mail.

If you tell her that you need to upgrade the client software to either Outlook with the "Office Outlook Connector" (need to download it from MS) or WLM because of security issues (because MS no longer supports Exchange the client, which is true), then you could even do the switchover to Verizon-Hotmail a few weeks down the road once she's comfortable with the client (although it might require a bit of fiddling to change inbox and stuff).  I think the biggest obstacle that you had with "going to gmail" was that the client software changed from an application to a mailclient-in-a-webbrowser.  Even I really don't like using Hotmail, it gets laggy at times and the interface, even with AJAX and all the jazz, is still not as good as what I could get in a client.  If an acct is capable of being accessed from www.hotmail.com, then both Outlook/WLM can access it via offline without ads or anything.  My reading of Verizon-with-MSN basically tells me they just tell Hotmail to host the mail instead of Verizon's server (talk to Verizon about the specifics), and if that's the case, then you can use either client to do what you want, which is accessing the same e-mail acct from different computer.  The only downside, if any, is that Hotmail does not support POP3, but I don't think that's a loss persay.

I actually did install SmarterMail on my server after reading about it for a altogether different reason, and trust me, it requires information and configuration settings that even I found confusing.  They do need to work on their documentation more, and there's a few bugs like not creating directories in the specified drive(s) which I found to be annoying.  In my personal opinion, the easiest thing for you and your wife would be to do what I wrote.  It's less headache for you in the long run, she gets an up-to-date client with spam protection via Hotmail, and you can access it on any computer that has Outlook+Connector/WLM installed or via a webbrowser.

-- Starfox

Monday, January 21, 2008 3:27 AM
  •  brubber wrote:
     Spitzer wrote:
    What is IIS?  I've seen several references to it but don't see anything popping out of Google about it.

It's MS Internet Information Services, so basically a webserver. A bit what Apache is to Linux. If I Google IIS I get:

Internet Information Services

A powerful Web server, Internet Information Services (IIS) 6.0 is available in all versions of Windows Server 2003 and provides a highly reliable, ...
    www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/iis/default.mspx - 20k - In cache - Gelijkwaardige pagina's

Internet Information Services - Wikipedia

IIS (Microsoft Internet Information Services of Server) is een verzameling server-diensten voor het Internet bedoeld voor Windows-machines. ...
    nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Information_Services - 21k - In cache - Gelijkwaardige pagina's

Obviously, I didn't put much effort in.  I should have seen that.

Thanks

Monday, January 21, 2008 6:45 AM
  •  RealityBytes wrote:

Spitzer wrote:

Regardless of the method you choose, there is going to be change.  You said you were using Exchange - you don't mean Exchange the client, right?  That thing hasn't been supported in...  It came out with Win95?  And Outlook basically replaced it.  Outlook _is_ the new version of Exchange, and Windows Live Mail the new version of Outlook Express.

My mistake.  Meant to say Outlook, not Exchange.  My hope was for for this to be completely transparent for her - no UI change at all.

RealityBytes wrote:

If you move her acct to hotmail, she still will be using Outlook/WLM.  She'll still have the same e-mail address, and I think the Verizon-MSN thing does filter spam at the source, although I'm not sure (you'll have to talk to Verizon tech support on how integrated it is with Windows Live).  My box used to get a good 20+ spam a day until I moved my domain e-mail stuff to Windows Live - now, I see 2-3 spam a week that gets put into a spam folder, and I've seen maybe 2 or 3 in the past year that slipped past their filters.  Hotmail used to have a bad rep for being a spam haven, but MS cleaned up their act very decently.

That's a big plus.  Sounds comparable to gmail wrt the filtering quality.

RealityBytes wrote:

WLM is, I'm afraid to admit, real good at what it does.  I have no problem monitoring 4 e-mail acct that I know any other e-mail software would basically croak at or I would get frustrated in dealing with.  Their integration with Windows Live aka Hotmail is very well done, and deltasync (the new method of syncing with Hotmail) is capable of having multiple computers access the same mail acct, and not throw a hissy fit about it.  I could have WLM, Hotmail in a browser, and my mobile phone all syncing to the same acct, and when a mail arrives I get notification on all of it, and when I read the message on one, within a few minutes all the clients know that I've read the mail.

If you tell her that you need to upgrade the client software to either Outlook with the "Office Outlook Connector" (need to download it from MS) or WLM because of security issues (because MS no longer supports Exchange the client, which is true), then you could even do the switchover to Verizon-Hotmail a few weeks down the road once she's comfortable with the client (although it might require a bit of fiddling to change inbox and stuff).  I think the biggest obstacle that you had with "going to gmail" was that the client software changed from an application to a mailclient-in-a-webbrowser.  Even I really don't like using Hotmail, it gets laggy at times and the interface, even with AJAX and all the jazz, is still not as good as what I could get in a client.  If an acct is capable of being accessed from www.hotmail.com, then both Outlook/WLM can access it via offline without ads or anything.  My reading of Verizon-with-MSN basically tells me they just tell Hotmail to host the mail instead of Verizon's server (talk to Verizon about the specifics), and if that's the case, then you can use either client to do what you want, which is accessing the same e-mail acct from different computer.  The only downside, if any, is that Hotmail does not support POP3, but I don't think that's a loss persay.

I much prefer the IMAP client experience vs. the web interface.  I have it at work and often forget that the data is not on the local machine.  I'll have to check in with Verizon though, to get their take.  Even though I use gmail, I don't like someone to host my mail for free.  I always worry about what they get in return.  I'm not talking about security, because my mail is in the clear and stored clear.  I suppose this is the way of the world though.  My grocer knows everything that I buy, and google puts up adds related to my conversations.  A tough choice between convienence and not being scanned.

RealityBytes wrote:

I actually did install SmarterMail on my server after reading about it for a altogether different reason, and trust me, it requires information and configuration settings that even I found confusing.  They do need to work on their documentation more, and there's a few bugs like not creating directories in the specified drive(s) which I found to be annoying.  In my personal opinion, the easiest thing for you and your wife would be to do what I wrote.  It's less headache for you in the long run, she gets an up-to-date client with spam protection via Hotmail, and you can access it on any computer that has Outlook+Connector/WLM installed or via a webbrowser.

-- Starfox

I'm becoming more convinced that I don't have the stomach for running a mail server.  I'll mull it over as I build up the WHS box.  Fortunately, I'm not bound by a schedule.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Monday, January 21, 2008 7:09 AM
  • Just a thought from a Microsoft sm biz specialist.

Hosting your own email server on a WHS server is not for the faint hearted, or recommended for a various reasons. Even using the apps & tools listed above that are cool to be sure, is easily confusing to a newcomer if you don't understand MX records, forwarding, ports, ISP blockings, POP, IMAP, SMTP, servers, dynamic DNS fail-overs, routings,  etc. etc. etc. 

The new Windows Live Mail client ( http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview ) is one idea to consolidate your email accounts. It will work with all your existing POP, IMAP servers & accounts. Just have each person in the house logon to the PC with thier own account (& password to protect mom's stuff), then each will have their own mail access.  Let the WHS store each persons files in their own folder, which can have its' access controlled from the console. Just be sure to sync the PC username & password with your WHS server, or else it will get sticky & confusing.

Outlook is a great tool, but can get a little difficult to manage if everything is not kept on 1 PC or an Exchange Server with roaming profiles (DON'T EVEN THINK about administrating an Exchange Server!  ).

Google apps is another idea you may want to explore ( http://www.google.com/a/?utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-google&utm_medium=ha&utm_term=google%20apps ). It is a free suite of stuff ment for personal/ family's & small business. You can even get your own domain name for the family to develop stuff on.

Hope this helps.

Monday, January 21, 2008 8:38 AM
  •  Spitzer wrote:

My mistake.  Meant to say Outlook, not Exchange.  My hope was for for this to be completely transparent for her - no UI change at all.

I much prefer the IMAP client experience vs. the web interface.  I have it at work and often forget that the data is not on the local machine.  I'll have to check in with Verizon though, to get their take.  Even though I use gmail, I don't like someone to host my mail for free.  I always worry about what they get in return.  I'm not talking about security, because my mail is in the clear and stored clear.  I suppose this is the way of the world though.  My grocer knows everything that I buy, and google puts up adds related to my conversations.  A tough choice between convienence and not being scanned.

As long as she's using Outlook 2003 or 2007, there will be no UI change (or shouldn't...).  Deltasync *is* IMAP, on steroids.  Unfortunately there's only two products that can use it atm, and both happens to come from Microsoft.  WLM (desktop) doesn't have ads, and I don't think the Outlook connector has ads either.  For me, Hotmail (Web) doesn't have ads either, but I filter stuff out locally, so...^^

-- Starfox

Monday, January 21, 2008 8:52 AM
  • Hi,

I'm using hMailServer in combination with WHS to do exactly what you want. It collects mail from my pop accounts (including gmail) at per account configurable intervals, deletes the mail from the ISP's server (also configurable) and acts as an IMAP server to the local (in my case Outlook) clients.

I have no experience with mailservers what so ever but had the hMailServer up and running in 15 minutes.

I used the following as a starting point:

HOWTO: Use hMailServer to share email across a home network

HOWTO: Adding SSL support to hMailServer

Bauke

Monday, January 21, 2008 3:18 PM
  •  Gary Scott wrote:

Just a thought from a Microsoft sm biz specialist.

Hosting your own email server on a WHS server is not for the faint hearted, or recommended for a various reasons. Even using the apps & tools listed above that are cool to be sure, is easily confusing to a newcomer if you don't understand MX records, forwarding, ports, ISP blockings, POP, IMAP, SMTP, servers, dynamic DNS fail-overs, routings,  etc. etc. etc. 

The new Windows Live Mail client ( http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview ) is one idea to consolidate your email accounts. It will work with all your existing POP, IMAP servers & accounts. Just have each person in the house logon to the PC with thier own account (& password to protect mom's stuff), then each will have their own mail access.  Let the WHS store each persons files in their own folder, which can have its' access controlled from the console. Just be sure to sync the PC username & password with your WHS server, or else it will get sticky & confusing.

Outlook is a great tool, but can get a little difficult to manage if everything is not kept on 1 PC or an Exchange Server with roaming profiles (DON'T EVEN THINK about administrating an Exchange Server!  ).

Google apps is another idea you may want to explore ( http://www.google.com/a/?utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-google&utm_medium=ha&utm_term=google%20apps ). It is a free suite of stuff ment for personal/ family's & small business. You can even get your own domain name for the family to develop stuff on.

Hope this helps.

Ok, I surrender ;-)  I'll have to try one of the alternatives mentioned above.  Sounds like too much for me so I'll just concentrate on getting the OS installed.  I have assembled the box from parts and it seems to work.  The OS came today and I'm just installing it.  Wait, it just hung after the second reboot.  Time for a new thread...

Appriciate your thoughts,

Jeff
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 2:22 AM
  •  Bauke wrote:

Hi,

I'm using hMailServer in combination with WHS to do exactly what you want. It collects mail from my pop accounts (including gmail) at per account configurable intervals, deletes the mail from the ISP's server (also configurable) and acts as an IMAP server to the local (in my case Outlook) clients.

I have no experience with mailservers what so ever but had the hMailServer up and running in 15 minutes.

Bauke

...maybe there's hope for me.  First I've got to figure out why the OS didn't come back after the second reboot during installation.

I was just about to give up on this mail server concept, but will have to reconsider.

Thanks,

Jeff
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 2:28 AM
  •  Bauke wrote:

Bauke

I've assembled the hardware, installed the OS, and now have a WHS to play with.  I attemped to install hMailServer but could not get it going.  I'm going to start a new thread specific to hMailServer on WHS and leave this one for alternative mail server suggestions and thoughts.

Sunday, January 27, 2008 2:53 PM
  • Has there been any new developments on a mail server that works well with WHS?

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 1:18 AM
  • http://computingondemand.com/?p=932
    Sunday, September 14, 2008 8:46 PM