none
My Threads not ordered correctly RRS feed

• General discussion

• I always view my Threads using the default "Most Recent Post" sorting. According to this, if I respond to a thread and go immediately to My Threads, the corresponding thread should be at the top of the list.

Yet, today this is not happening for me. The post is there, listed as "A few seconds ago" but it is below a number of posts whose most recent posts were minutes or hours ago.

I don't think I saw this before.

The thread in question is

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcgeneral/thread/76ecc9b7-8e83-4955-bb07-a7ed2a93969f

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 2:35 PM

All replies

• Actually, this new question in Bug Reporting did not appear in My Threads, at the top or otherwise [AFAICT].

The other thread I mentioned was one I had responded to before. So the new posting was known to My Threads, but was not used in the sorting.

There still seems something wrong with My Threads. At least My My Threads.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 2:50 PM
  • Info for my threads is now only propogated every 5 minutes, so you may see a slight delay...
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 3:47 PM
  • Matt:

The thing that seemed odd to me was that the time of my post was correctly recorded in My Threads, but this was not reflected in the sorting. I see now that someone else has replied to this thread, and that it has moved to the top of my list.

And this current thread is still not appearing in My Threads after over two hours.  I thought this issue was fixed.

[Is the Bug Reporting forum treated differently from others?]

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 5:06 PM
  • From what I see, the recent work on My Threads just involved getting the aggregation job going again.  None of the original My Threads problems appear to have been addressed.  The out-of-order problem is an old one and hasn't been solved.  For example, right now I have a 1 hour old response in between 20 hour old responses. 

A new problem got introduced a few patches ago where the Unread filter started filtering threads that I've never read.  My Threads with Unread turned on has been empty for the past two weeks.  Reading it with Unread turned off doesn't work for me due to the volume.

Relying on email alerts is the only workaround I found so far.  It is not exactly a substitute, I don't get an alert for every new response.  I'm curious what everybody else is doing about it.

Hans Passant.
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 5:55 PM
  • 1. My Threads is "sorted out of order": this is an indicator that the aggregated db's thread table is lagging/not up to date. The most recent(Monday) update tries to address the issue by having better failure/retry handling. We attempt to update on 5 min intervals. One shard was giving us problems last night but has cleared up about an hour ago.

Nobugz/DaveWilk, I just viewed both of your MyThreads and they appear to be in the correct order. Can you let me know if this is not the case.

2. Unread/My Threads issue: I'm going to get a backup from last night and try a few queries.

Nobugz, Given that as of right now the agg db's should be up to date could you check your Unread/MyThreads and let me know if it's currently showing unexpected results? Also, if it happens to be showing unexpected for a particular thread, could you also try going directly to that forum and applying Unread filter there and let me know if it is correct or not?

Thanks
    Rob J

Rob J, Forums Dev
    http://twitter.com/robjoh
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 7:28 PM
  • The sort order changed during the past two hours, it is now sequential.  Can't comment yet on Unread problems, I haven't been using My Threads.
    Hans Passant.
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 8:13 PM
  • Rob:

Yes, my My Threads is ordered correctly now. Thanks!

I don't use the Unread feature.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 8:59 PM
  • Dave's post is a good example.  Shows up in the forum page with Unread turned on.  Does not show in My Threads with Unread turn on.
    Hans Passant.
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 9:44 PM
  • Thanks! That seems like more or less the same issue as the Sort Order. The UserThread associative record that tracks read/unread has not updated on. I'll talk with Ram, I think one choice we made in the aggregate db, while better for query perf, is what is compounding the unread issue when it was getting way out of synch. I think we can do something about that where it'll appear unread, but if updates lag it could continue to appear unread for longer.

As I mentioned earlier, the 3/9 update helps error/retry when a job does fail so overall things should tend to be closer to <5mins or so. The case last night was one shard got in to a state it couldn't recover from. We're working on that.  But the good news is the other 5 shards continued updating, that's why it appeared that only some forums were having an issue. Prior to 3/9 the recovery was a little more linear so it tended to have more widespread bad side effects.

Rob J, Forums Dev
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 10:18 PM
  • Rob:

FYI, I have a post out of order again today (OP had replied in a thread I had contributed to).

Thursday, March 12, 2009 1:05 PM
  • I think I found the reason for that one.  I was forced to work from My Threads because I couldn't access my email account to review alerts.  Unread turned off, necessarily (ugh).  I noticed that the time stamps on the "last reply" kept updating, even though automatic update was turned off.  The time stamp updates, but the list doesn't resort => threads out of order.

Updating "last reply" when automatic update is turned off doesn't make sense.

Hans Passant.
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 10:31 PM
  • Hans:

While I agree with your last statement, I don't think this can be the whole answer. I'm pretty sure that when this happened to me, refreshing the page manually did not help.

I will check if I see threads out of order again.

Thursday, March 19, 2009 1:36 AM
  • We've had the last patch in production for a week or so now and things seem to be going well with the aggregator job. Failures have been recovering on retry so I think you should see My Threads stay within a 5 minute or so range of real time. Any thread ordering that would happen would be something within that 5 minute window (and would resolve itself on the next pass).

Keep us posted about any irregularities you see, but I think in general things should be pretty good for My Threads.

Rob J, Forums Dev
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 2:23 AM
  • Hans/Rob:

It is certainly still possible for threads to be out of order and not to be fixed by manual page refresh. It is not just a matter of the time stamps updating, but the page not reloading.

Thursday, March 19, 2009 3:04 PM