none
Windows 7 clients not sleeping after backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I recently built a WHS machine -- backups are occurring over night as they should and in general, things are working great.  All my windows 7 clients (2 of them) wont go back to sleep after wake up for backup.  I am using the balance power settings on both - with sleep set to never when on AC power.  One client is a laptop, one is a desktop.  Both generate a event id 1 when waking up for backup:

The system has resumed from sleep.

Sleep Time: ‎2010‎-‎12‎-‎29T01:49:10.716683700Z
    Wake Time: ‎2010‎-‎12‎-‎29T07:36:26.728070200Z

Wake Source: Unknown

My thought is that since the wake source is unknown the system doesn't resume its previous state after backup completes.  I have tested sleep in general - I can sleep both machines manually or they can be set to sleep after being idle X amount of time.  If I set the clients to sleep after being idle X amount of time they will return to sleep after backups once the idle value has hit.  I have updated the bios / drivers on each.  I've been doing research for days and I'm stuck.  Thoughts?

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 8:45 PM

All replies

• Antivirus software waking the systems? Is it possible that if your WHS backups occur when your antivirus is setup for updates or scans, would WHS delay the process until the backups are done?

Thursday, December 30, 2010 1:18 AM
  • ...] I am using the balance power settings on both - with sleep set to never when on AC power.[...

This is why the client does not go into sleep. Windows Home Server will only wake your client need to back it up.

...]  If I set the clients to sleep after being idle X amount of time they will return to sleep after backups once the idle value has hit.[...

The solution...
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 8:25 PM
  • OK so I brought another windows 7 client onto my network with the same power settings -- balanced.  It has no trouble waking up, backing up and going back to sleep 2 minutes after backup finishes.  That client does not have 'wake source unknown' -- its being woken by the whs connector.

I believe the system should still return to sleep when woken from an unattended wakeup even if the settings are not set to always on BUT to test things I set the laptop to sleep after x hours.  I found that it only went back to sleep after X hours after the backup.  My new working client also is set to sleep after X hours but it goes back to sleep 2 minutes after the backup finishes.

Any other ideas?  AV clients on the working/not working are the same.

Friday, December 31, 2010 2:51 AM
  • Never to old to learn...
    Just double checked: my Windows 7 Desktop seems to go into sleep mode at different intervals (ranging from about 2 minutes upto 120 minutes) after finishing backups ("The system is entering sleep. Sleep Reason: System Idle").
    Power configuration however is set to initiate sleep mode after 120 minutes.

Btw: did you check "powercfg" with the options waketimers, energy, trace etc..? 
    - Theo.

Friday, December 31, 2010 10:11 AM
  • I can't say I completely understand all that the powercfg commands can do but I have been researching it.  Most of my research has been focused on why the wake up is from source unknown.  I am looking into this beacause my working windows 7 client has a wake source of whs connector while the working one does not.  Am I off track in looking in this direction?  If not, what options on powercfg do you think would be beneficial?  Mostly I've seen commands to see what could wake the pc or did wake the PC.  Problem, as I see it, is that I know exactly what is waking up the PC - its def the whs connector as the backup starts immediately after wakeup.  Because of this I am not sure what to try w/ powercfg?

I have a feeling something else is wrong w/ power in general as I've found waking up from hibernate also results in a wake source of 'unknown'.  Waking from sleep looks OK - wake from power button is noted as the wake source.  I think i need to concentrate the troubleshooting on understanding if I have an odd power/wake issue or not.

Friday, December 31, 2010 10:51 PM
  • I am not an expert on this subject so this post will probably not be of much help to you.
    As far as I can see the WHS backup wake event will be reset at the end of the backup. It is then to Windows 7 to decide wether it will send the system into sleep or not. If is does not, apparently it decided there is more "work to do" (another event is comming up, system service is running or some device/driver signals it is still active?). In that case it will or can not go into sleep mode.

Personally I am quite happy if the system wakes when appropriate and then is send back into sleep mode gracefully within the time frame set (through its power configuration). If this does not happen, most of the time this can be traced back to device, driver of BIOS incompatibility with (or lack of) the required power modes. The powercfg utility can sometimes help out here...
    In you case? I don't know. You would need to find out in what "state" the system is right after the backup finishes. And if its not going into sleep mode is a problem or just "appropriate".

Concerning the "unknown wake source". I would say this could be an indication that there is a problem as you suspect.
    Could be the BIOS or some device/driver that confuses the system. I would start out with "powercfg -ENERGY" and study the reports generated for hints. Try the -TRACE option? Eventlist activity in the timeframe following the backup also might give you more insight.

- Theo.

Saturday, January 1, 2011 10:49 PM