recovering a file deleted from mesh RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm sorry if this has been answered but I can't find it. 

A while back my hard drive crashed and while I recovered a lot of data 1 specific file was gone (XML).  I just recently logged into mesh again after missing this file for some time.  I was surprised to see the file there.  Wow, awesome after all this time there it was, but I was having problems downloading it.

Then as I was trying to figure it out, the file was deleted and my "news" for mesh shows that I've deleted/renamed many folders and files when I did no such thing.

I'm very confused about what's going on, but mostly I'd like to know if there's anyway to recover that file that was on Mesh.

Thanks for any feedback on this issue.  I'm sure the file is once again lost, but I thought I'd ask.

Friday, June 4, 2010 8:35 PM

Answers

• If you logged into www.mesh.com and *also* reinstalled Live Mesh on the PC where the files were originally missing from and reconnected your PC to the Mesh, Mesh deleted the Live Desktop copy when synchronzing the local PC to the Live Desktop. There would be no recovery from this as you had no local copies of the file(s). Please keep in mind that any folders and files in your Mesh should be non-critical and/or backed up to a location outside of the Mesh as this is a beta and unexpected results can cause dcata loss, unfortunately.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, June 7, 2010 12:36 PM

All replies

• If you logged into www.mesh.com and *also* reinstalled Live Mesh on the PC where the files were originally missing from and reconnected your PC to the Mesh, Mesh deleted the Live Desktop copy when synchronzing the local PC to the Live Desktop. There would be no recovery from this as you had no local copies of the file(s). Please keep in mind that any folders and files in your Mesh should be non-critical and/or backed up to a location outside of the Mesh as this is a beta and unexpected results can cause dcata loss, unfortunately.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, June 7, 2010 12:36 PM
  • Thanks that is an excellent answer and I think that you've described essentially what happened.

I don't know if the syncing behavior of Mesh should change somehow because of issues like this or not.  But it does seem like some consideration should be given in this area to see if, say for example a sync contains significantly different files then a prompt, or a temporary undelete type system might be in place.

Thank you again.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 10:40 PM