gigabit router? RRS feed

• Question

• With WHS install, I guess it's only natural for me to start thinking about moving over to gigabit routers, especially for the fact that all my devices are wireless, causing considerable pain with backups and transfer of large files.  I am currently looking at Netgear WNR854T and Linksys WRT350N, both draft 2 802.11n routers.  Anyone using either one of these?  Any recommendations or issues?  One of my immediate plan is to convert home DVD movies to wmv format and place them onto the WHS server for streaming to laptops.  Ultimately, I am thinking of hooking up a media receiver between the router and tv.
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 10:33 AM

Answers

• Thanks for input.  I considered just adding a gigabit switch, but I didn't think it would be an advantage since all my devices are wireless except for the server.  In addition to the two 802.11n gigabit routers I initially considered, I took a look at dlink DIR-655 wireless "n" router with 4 gigabit ports.  Based on numerous user reviews, Dlink seemed to be least troublesome and most reliable, so I picked this one up last night.  All I can say is wow!  Big difference in speed from my previous linksys 54g router, wired and wireless, I'm impressed.  One thing though,  my short wired file copy test between my laptop and server topped out at little over 25MB/sec or 200mbps, 1/5 of the max gigabit speed.  I'm wondering if this is about the expected speed from gigabit routers and what others are getting.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 5:35 PM
  •  inlvnv wrote:
    With WHS install, I guess it's only natural for me to start thinking about moving over to gigabit routers, especially for the fact that all my devices are wireless, causing considerable pain with backups and transfer of large files.  I am currently looking at Netgear WNR854T and Linksys WRT350N, both draft 2 802.11n routers.  Anyone using either one of these?  Any recommendations or issues?  One of my immediate plan is to convert home DVD movies to wmv format and place them onto the WHS server for streaming to laptops.  Ultimately, I am thinking of hooking up a media receiver between the router and tv.

Hey, two quick (slightly off topic tips). You might want to use DVDFab for ripping your DVD content, it is really fabulous and works really great. As for the extension to play the files, I believe you should stick to MPG and not WMV, and after you've ripped the DVD's you can use this other little tool here VOBtoMPG to do its tricks. On this line of thought, the web site www.thegreenbutton.com is a must, and of course the www.thegreenbutton.com is a must, and of course the www.avsforum.com . Just keep in mind the copyright rules and you'll be golden.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 9:35 PM

All replies

• I have a 10/100 router connected to my cable modem and an 8-port gigabit switch hooked up to it downstream that all my devices are plugged in to.  It's cheaper to go with the gigabit switch than the router.  Plus it can get you more ports.  Make sure whatever you get supports jumbo frames.  It just future proofs you a bit ...

- Jim

Saturday, March 3, 2007 1:56 PM
  • I have a wireless router chained off my cable modem and a 8-port desktop Dlink gigabit switch (w/jumbo frame support!) chained off the wireless router.  All my wireless devices (laptops, Xbox 360) work great and all the wired devices are gigabit and talk to each other and the WHS at gigabit speeds.  If you plan on doing large backups, ala Vista machines, I think gigabit is really a must have.  Just make sure you network cable is up to the task, using CAT-6 is highly suggested but some people say CAT-5e might do the trick, it's hit or miss with CAT-5e.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 1:13 AM
  • yea they are right, I have a d-link pre-n 300mbps router and a 5 port switch off of it. My WHS (whis doesnt work right now) and my pc and my dads are all hooked up to it, my xbox is also attached, my VoIP is connected to my router, so i get crystal clear calls, and I am able to backup files across my network with ease. Im hoping I can get this WHS to work correctly so I can do just that AND more. Good luck I hope our feedback helped.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 1:50 AM
  • I just installed a D-Link Gamerlounge (DGL4300) wireless 108G Gaming router that has 4 gigabit ethernet ports . I also have a D-link gigabit switch. It really makes a big difference in lan speed. When I was building my server box, I disabled the built-in 10/100 networking and added a gigabit NIC. I am very impressed with the D-Link (and LOVING the speed!) and would recommend that you consider it.

Kathy

Sunday, March 4, 2007 3:21 AM
  • Thanks for input.  I considered just adding a gigabit switch, but I didn't think it would be an advantage since all my devices are wireless except for the server.  In addition to the two 802.11n gigabit routers I initially considered, I took a look at dlink DIR-655 wireless "n" router with 4 gigabit ports.  Based on numerous user reviews, Dlink seemed to be least troublesome and most reliable, so I picked this one up last night.  All I can say is wow!  Big difference in speed from my previous linksys 54g router, wired and wireless, I'm impressed.  One thing though,  my short wired file copy test between my laptop and server topped out at little over 25MB/sec or 200mbps, 1/5 of the max gigabit speed.  I'm wondering if this is about the expected speed from gigabit routers and what others are getting.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 5:35 PM
  • I have used D-Link for years and have always had a good experience. I recently wired my house and have almost eliminated wireless connections (since I am loving the speed of the gigabit wired connection). However, a D-Link wireless NIC (they have some cool USB ones) can really get a fast connection if you set up all the powerboost funtions on the router. There are a lot of possibilities (and large speed increases) in the router setup if you have a D-Link NIC. I'm glad you're pleased!

Kathy

Sunday, March 4, 2007 10:38 PM
  • I have the Linksys WRT350N, everything works great. I can do everything however I have been having RDP issues, I an not sure if its the router because I had three PC's with RDP working with each other, and after I installed the WHS I seem to not be able to my PC's. I had an earlier post that suggested and someone replied that WHS should have nothing to do with this, so.........right now I am running out of resources. Oh BTW I can connect into the WHS remotely but can't get to access my pc's remotely so......Again I am really thinking its has some small relationship to the WHS......I really do like the Linksys router. I know the router works with RDP and without WHS because I had it configured on Friday and have had it like that for months so as soon as I got WHS something changed somewhere.

Sunday, March 4, 2007 11:05 PM
  • I am not familiar with your particular router, but I would say if you could connect remotely to your desktops before WHS, and now you cannot, that there is probably a relationship. Have you forwarded the ports (80, 443, and 4125) on your router to the network address of your server? I know I wasn't able to access the individual desktops remotely until I did that (as well as set a password on each of the computers)

Kathy

Monday, March 5, 2007 4:42 AM
  • Kathy, I'm just beginning to test out the remote access.  When you forward these ports, do you list them on tcp or udp, or on both?  I'm new at remote access.

As far as my dlink router settings, I'm slowly going through it all.  This router looks like a winner.

Monday, March 5, 2007 7:01 AM
  • I have forwarded the ports like you have suggested, whats interesting is that shouldn't I be able to RDP inside of WHS ?

Thanks

Monday, March 5, 2007 11:30 AM
  • Hey all.

There are several posts out there right now on both RDP and port forwarding.  This thread was actually a gigabit router thread.  You may want to check out the other RDP and port forwarding threads, and if those don't answer your questions, post a new starting thread under the Windows Home Server forum (we're in hardware here).

Hope that helps...

Monday, March 5, 2007 12:22 PM
  • I'm sorry...

Kathy

Monday, March 5, 2007 4:34 PM
  • No apologies necessary. 

I just wanted to let folks know that there's a lot of guidance on this already living on the forums...

Monday, March 5, 2007 4:41 PM
  • I am also an avid fan of D-Link! I have the wired version of this router (DGL-4100) and recently purchased a 24-port Gigabit switch for installation into my structured media box in the closet. Although I don't have the need for that many ports at this time I can see that the home network will be an integral part of the wired home in the future. I'm also rewiring with Cat 6 cable, which should provide the future-proofing I need for years to come. Plus, I'm getting too old to be crawling around in the attic!

I would encourage everyone to think long term when planning your home network. Products like WHS prove that the digital home is not a fantasy anymore!

Britown53 

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 5:15 PM
  •  inlvnv wrote:
    With WHS install, I guess it's only natural for me to start thinking about moving over to gigabit routers, especially for the fact that all my devices are wireless, causing considerable pain with backups and transfer of large files.  I am currently looking at Netgear WNR854T and Linksys WRT350N, both draft 2 802.11n routers.  Anyone using either one of these?  Any recommendations or issues?  One of my immediate plan is to convert home DVD movies to wmv format and place them onto the WHS server for streaming to laptops.  Ultimately, I am thinking of hooking up a media receiver between the router and tv.

Hey, two quick (slightly off topic tips). You might want to use DVDFab for ripping your DVD content, it is really fabulous and works really great. As for the extension to play the files, I believe you should stick to MPG and not WMV, and after you've ripped the DVD's you can use this other little tool here VOBtoMPG to do its tricks. On this line of thought, the web site www.thegreenbutton.com is a must, and of course the www.thegreenbutton.com is a must, and of course the www.avsforum.com . Just keep in mind the copyright rules and you'll be golden.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 9:35 PM
  • I have a netgear router plugged into an 8 port netgear gigabit switch going out to PCs and server.  Works great at transferring large amounts of data.
    Monday, March 26, 2007 1:49 AM
  • I have recently upgraded too gigabit swithces on my network running off a 10/100 router. So far I have got double real time transfer rates when copying data acrosss network from Vista (P4 3.06ghz) to a (P3 1.0ghz). compared to same setup on my 10/100.

I have some more testing to do bit i think i will get even better results between some of my faster machines.

Don't go out and buy a new router when 5 port gigbit switch are down to $55(AUS) with jumbo frame support.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 4:08 AM
  •  inlvnv wrote:
    Thanks for input.  I considered just adding a gigabit switch, but I didn't think it would be an advantage since all my devices are wireless except for the server.  In addition to the two 802.11n gigabit routers I initially considered, I took a look at dlink DIR-655 wireless "n" router with 4 gigabit ports.  Based on numerous user reviews, Dlink seemed to be least troublesome and most reliable, so I picked this one up last night.  All I can say is wow!  Big difference in speed from my previous linksys 54g router, wired and wireless, I'm impressed.  One thing though,  my short wired file copy test between my laptop and server topped out at little over 25MB/sec or 200mbps, 1/5 of the max gigabit speed.  I'm wondering if this is about the expected speed from gigabit routers and what others are getting.

Well, just for comparison sake, I'm getting around 21MB/sec (jumbo frames *not* enabled) drive to drive copy.  I'm using the exact same router.  I was getting 8-12MB/sec with 100base-T connections.

I'm simply using the speed quoted by the Vista file copy dialog. (not very analytical)

You'd have to search around for the bottlenecks.  Check drive read/write speeds (~40MB/sec) versus network speeds.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 5:55 PM
  •  Lliam wrote:

inlvnv wrote:
    Thanks for input.  I considered just adding a gigabit switch, but I didn't think it would be an advantage since all my devices are wireless except for the server.  In addition to the two 802.11n gigabit routers I initially considered, I took a look at dlink DIR-655 wireless "n" router with 4 gigabit ports.  Based on numerous user reviews, Dlink seemed to be least troublesome and most reliable, so I picked this one up last night.  All I can say is wow!  Big difference in speed from my previous linksys 54g router, wired and wireless, I'm impressed.  One thing though,  my short wired file copy test between my laptop and server topped out at little over 25MB/sec or 200mbps, 1/5 of the max gigabit speed.  I'm wondering if this is about the expected speed from gigabit routers and what others are getting.

Well, just for comparison sake, I'm getting around 21MB/sec (jumbo frames *not* enabled) drive to drive copy.  I'm using the exact same router.  I was getting 8-12MB/sec with 100base-T connections.

I'm simply using the speed quoted by the Vista file copy dialog. (not very analytical)

You'd have to search around for the bottlenecks.  Check drive read/write speeds (~40MB/sec) versus network speeds.

I use a Dell 24 port gigabit router, and I consistently get about 35-37MBps between my WHS array and the clients. Most clients are using the motherboard gigabit NIC.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 3:22 PM
  •  

Just an update, from a different drive on the same client; I was able to get 38-45MB/sec transfers.  My bottleneck appeared to be the hard drive on my client machine.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 8:40 PM
  • kbgorman, I have the same router... I heard it was good but didn't know for a fact. Is there anything special I need to do to maximize its utilization/performance, like firmware updates or special settings on the console interface. I currently do not have any N network cards, both my PC, and WHS machine have onboard ethernet, and that is pretty much what I am using... tips are very welcome. Just note that I have just finished building these machines and currently have a huge, giGANtic dent on my wallet and also that the N is still very new, aka expensive at the moment...
    Thursday, March 29, 2007 9:27 PM
  •  inlvnv wrote:

I'm using a NetGear GS608 8-port gigabit switch downstream from my router.  This provides connectivity for several computers in my home office, and for two other gigabit switches elsewhere in the house (which provide for other PCs and WiFi access points).  Even though ALL my cabling is Cat 5, Sandra Pro reports 48MB/s, so I'm pretty pleased.

Friday, March 30, 2007 7:33 AM
  • Thanks, I'll give your info a try.  Clicked answered.
    Saturday, April 21, 2007 1:04 AM
  • Ok, I would like to go gigabit with my WHS system, what are your thoughts and what has worked for you?  I am open to just wired but also would like to upgrade my wireless to something newer too.
    Sunday, August 12, 2007 2:57 AM