none
VB6 Support RRS feed

All replies

• How about creating a sticky post/forum announcement that directs users seeking support for VB6 code to http://www.vbforums.com/forumdisplay.php?1-Visual-Basic-6-and-Earlier?  It seems to be a common issue that would benefit from an announcement to which users can be referred.

There are all kind of stickies in the C# forum, and they ignore every last one of them. :)
    Monday, June 11, 2018 7:56 PM
  • How about creating a sticky post/forum announcement that directs users seeking support for VB6 code to http://www.vbforums.com/forumdisplay.php?1-Visual-Basic-6-and-Earlier?  It seems to be a common issue that would benefit from an announcement to which users can be referred.

There are all kind of stickies in the C# forum, and they ignore every last one of them. :)

Yeah, but at least referring someone to a sticky that mentions the forum policy would obviate the need to keep repeating the same guidance.
    Monday, June 11, 2018 8:10 PM
  • Actually there was but it didn't stop people from posting. It has since been removed and Visual Basic 6.0 hasn't been supported for over ten years now.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Monday, June 11, 2018 8:11 PM
  •  Yes,  as was mentioned,  there was a sticky at the top of the forum up until about 6 months to a year ago but,  it did not help.  There is also a note saying that this forum is not for VB6 at the top of the page when you ask a new question.  It says...

"Discuss and ask questions about the Visual Basic programming language, IDE, libraries, samples, and tools. (Not for VB6 questions)."

However,  that seems to get overlooked too.  We must need an audio announcement with a BIG red flashing banner in the middle of the page to announce it.  before they can type a question.  8)

If you say it can`t be done then i`ll try it

Monday, June 11, 2018 8:58 PM
  • I'm not suggesting that an announcement would prevent folks from posting about VB6 here, just that it would save the community responders from repeating the same song over and over again when those situations arise.

I'm sure that even changing the name of the forum from Visual Basic to VB.Net would not suffice to dissuade the VB6 posters.

Monday, June 11, 2018 9:03 PM
  • This too would get ignored 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Monday, June 11, 2018 9:14 PM
  • This may have a chance

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Monday, June 11, 2018 9:17 PM
  • The obvious answer is to create a forum here for VB6 programming.

A simple solution, though possibly embarrassing to do so.

After all, VB6 is still supported by Microsoft.

Support Statement for Visual Basic 6.0 on Windows

The support policy below has been updated with Windows 10 version 1709 support information.

Microsoft VB6 support statement

Microsoft support VB6 programming (VB6 Support Statement, VB6 Programming IDE Installer)

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 5:33 AM
  • Otherwise, this is the MSDN Visual Basic forum.

Where else would you post questions about Visual Basic?

If the MSDN magazine can have articles on VB6 programming, Don't Get Me Started, why can't there be a VB6 forum here?

Microsoft support VB6 programming (VB6 Support Statement, VB6 Programming IDE Installer)

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 6:03 AM

If the MSDN magazine can have articles on VB6 programming, Don't Get Me Started, why can't there be a VB6 forum here?

When I look at the top of the page forum it says:

Visual Studio Languages  .NET Framework   >  Visual Basic

Does vb6 run on .NET?

What is it you dont get about that?

You seem to be the only one here wanting to program in vb6?

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 11:32 AM

When I look at the top of the page forum it says:

Visual Studio Languages  .NET Framework   >  Visual Basic

Does vb6 run on .NET?

What is it you dont get about that?

You seem to be the only one here wanting to program in vb6?

Visual Studio Languages? Yes I can read that.
    Visual Basic?  Yes I can read that too. And it's the only Visual Basic forum on this site, so no chance of making a mistake.  Obviously the place to post VB6 programming questions.

You seem to be the only one here wanting to program in vb6?

If that's the case, what's the purpose of this thread?
    Are you trying to find a way to prevent non-existent VB6 programmers posting here? Seriously?

If you look elsewhere, of course, you will find lots of VB6 programming going on.
    Looking at www.vbforums.com at this moment there are:-

536 viewing the VB.Net forum, and 441 viewing the VB6 forum
    170,000 threads for VB.Net, 262,000 threads for VB6
    1 million posts for VB.Net, 1.5 million posts for VB6

Time for a VB6 forum here.

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 12:02 PM
  • Microsoft has discontinued proactive product support in its forums for Windows 8.1 and Windows 7, both of which are still in their extended support periods.  See Product support forum changes on Microsoft Community

Notwithstanding Microsoft's stated support policy for the VB6 runtime files, the VB6 IDE ls not supported.

So considering its position on Win7 and win 8.1 do you really think that Microsoft has any interest in providing forum technical support for programmers using a product introduced 20 years ago and whose support expired 10 years ago?

• Edited by RLWA32 Tuesday, June 12, 2018 12:07 PM
    Tuesday, June 12, 2018 12:05 PM
  • If that's the case, what's the purpose of this thread?

LOL.

You are dim aren't you?

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 12:14 PM
  • Microsoft has discontinued proactive product support in its forums for Windows 8.1 and Windows 7, both of which are still in their extended support periods.  See Product support forum changes on Microsoft Community

Notwithstanding Microsoft's stated support policy for the VB6 runtime files, the VB6 IDE ls not supported.

So considering its position on Win7 and win 8.1 do you really think that Microsoft has any interest in providing forum technical support for programmers using a product introduced 20 years ago and whose support expired 10 years ago?

And yet Microsoft post a VB6 support statement, and keep it up-to-date.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/visualstudio/visual-basic-6/visual-basic-6-support-policy

supporting VB6 on the following OSs

• Windows 10   (updated for v1709)
    • Windows 8.1
    • Windows 7
    • Windows Server 2016
    • Windows Server 2012 including R2
    • Windows Server 2008 including R2

The core Visual Basic 6.0 runtime will be supported for the full lifetime of supported Windows versions, which is five years of mainstream support followed by five years of extended support.

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 12:22 PM

And yet Microsoft post a VB6 support statement, and keep it up-to-date.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/visualstudio/visual-basic-6/visual-basic-6-support-policy

supporting VB6 on the following OSs

• Windows 10   (updated for v1709)
    • Windows 8.1
    • Windows 7
    • Windows Server 2016
    • Windows Server 2012 including R2
    • Windows Server 2008 including R2

The core Visual Basic 6.0 runtime will be supported for the full lifetime of supported Windows versions, which is five years of mainstream support followed by five years of extended support.

Yes, they will support THE VB6 RUNTIME FILES.

Your extrapolation of this policy to forum technical support for programming issues is nothing more than wishful thinking.  Good luck with that.

• Edited by RLWA32 Tuesday, June 12, 2018 12:41 PM
    Tuesday, June 12, 2018 12:40 PM
  • Already reported as abusive

In what way is posting a link to a Microsoft VB6 Support statement and quoting short extracts from that Microsoft statement, in a thread entitled "VB6 Support" possibly considered "abusive".

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 12:43 PM
  • Already reported as abusive

In what way is posting a link to a Microsoft VB6 Support statement and quoting short extracts from that Microsoft statement, in a thread entitled "VB6 Support" possibly considered "abusive".

I reported it as Off Topic and Spam.

Nothing personal. Just my opinion.

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 12:59 PM
  • PS It is ok to continue the discussion in the off topic area.

Where it says don't post here it means don't create a new thread.

But it is ok to post replies and discuss here on this thread.

:)

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 1:06 PM

• I reported it as Off Topic and Spam.

And instantly agreed with by Reed, despite Karen, Paul and others posting here without raising any concerns.

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 1:33 PM

And instantly agreed with by Reed, despite Karen, Paul and others posting here without raising any concerns.

I hope that the back and forth exchanges over policies that none of us control will end.

My browser doesn't show any of your posts as having been marked as abusive.  In any event, although I disagree with your views, I don't find your comments to be abusive. :)

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 1:43 PM

Vb6,

Have you ever or do you use Visual Basic in .Net? ie What vb version is it now 15? (If I already asked you this I have forgotten exactly).

I mean I loved vb 1 to 6 after qb, pds etc. I was the one that refused to use a mouse for a while when they came out. Dan Appleman was my hero.

But, then, I finally rewrote my No 1 App in vb .net  since the vb6 version no longer installed/ran properly on some systems and etc.

What a difference! So much easier to use and more powerful. Graphics much improved. Printing no comparison. MSI installer far superior. And for the most part it all works. Does everything vb6 did. Win 7 comes out works. Win 10, works. More or less.

Since then I have never done another total rewrite of my app and each version of windows whalaa it keeps working, each verison of visual studio, working... all I do now is create new code. Gone are the days of keeping my old code running. Having my app break in the middle of the night because HP decides to hack #$%^&  threed.vbx for everyone with a printer (talk about getting me started)...

I know there are special needs and I have nothing against vb6 other than not wanting to hear about it.

As far as the forum rules go I think we have discussions and sometimes get heated. Sometimes the thread gets locked sometimes it goes off topic. Thats SOP it seems long as I have been here.

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 6:01 PM
  • Yes, I still occasionally use VB.Net.

Mainly VB2010 (the last version I purchased was VB2012 which was appalling). 

I do have newer community versions, but rarely use them.

Mainly I use VB.Net to support legacy software.

The main Windows desktop software products I sell (and developed) are in VB6.  They have continued to work on each new release of Windows, up to and including Windows 10 v1803.  As does the VB6 IDE.

I've never needed to re-write them in a different language, but they have continuously been upgraded with new features and an updated 'look and feel' - all very simple.  I adopted msi installers years ago, printing is great (with on screen report previews offering a choice of output to printers, pdf, Word, Excel, .csv, and others).

Probably just a different philosophy, I'd rather spend a few minutes updating my software if  needed rather than a few months re-writing in another language.

I find most of my development time is split between new Windows desktop apps (in VB6 of course) and Web and hybrid mobile apps in JavaScript.

I just never found VB.Net productive enough, it offered advanced features (compared to VB6) though these were often done better by C#, but lost the advantages of RAD development which offers better productivity for most business (desktop) application development.

Microsoft's big mistake was to lose backwards compatibility with VB6 (I understand why, with VB.Net just being C# without braces and semi-colons there was little chance of allowing a simple upgrade from VB6 to VB.Net). 

But that lack of backwards compatibility is the reason Microsoft still have to support VB6 to this day, and for years to come.

As far as the forum rules go, for this thread I did not find it was getting heated, It wasn't off-topic (the topic was "VB6 Support") and plenty of others had posted without having an issue with the topic.

My point was that inevitably users of Microsoft VB6 are going to choose Microsoft MSDN if they have issues or questions. MSDN has only one "Visual Basic" forum, so that's where they will post. 
    A VB6 forum would get around this, but I appreciate it may be too embarrassing to add this.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 8:53 AM
  • vb6,

You see, when you keep saying things that the users of the forum know are un-true, like how good vb6 is at printing or installing etc, then the forum members will turn on you. Been there done that. I know better. If your app runs its only because you continue to hack it so it runs.

"As far as the forum rules go, for this thread I did not find it was getting heated, It wasn't off-topic (the topic was "VB6 Support") and plenty of others had posted without having an issue with the topic."

No. Wrong wrong wrong. The topic of the forum is Visual Basic .Net.

All I can figure is you have a mental problem? and just like you cant understand that this is not the vb6 forum you cant understand why the path of least frustration is to upgrade to vb.net.

If you want a forum of your own fine with me.  But continue to come and whine in the vb.net forum and you will find no peace.

Adios.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 11:01 AM
  • As far as the forum rules go, for this thread I did not find it was getting heated, It wasn't off-topic (the topic was "VB6 Support") and plenty of others had posted without having an issue with the topic.

If you take the time to go back and read the content of the initial post you will see that it asked about including a sticky/announcement that directed those who have VB6 questions to post at www.vbforums.com in accordance with the policies of the .Net Framework > Visual Basic forum. 

The intent of the initial post was NOT to lobby for VB6 support.  It was NOT intended to serve as a forum for debate about VB6 vs. VB.Net.

A suggestion that I hoped might be a time saver is now a time-waster.

This post has been co-opted and diverted from its initial intent, and so as the original poster I request that a Moderator lock this post at their earliest convenience

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 11:53 AM
  • If you take the time to go back and read the content of the initial post you will see that it asked about including a sticky/announcement that directed those who have VB6 questions to post at www.vbforums.com in accordance with the policies of the .Net Framework > Visual Basic forum. 

I understood that from the start.  My point, as others had also said, was that stickies/announcements don't work.  A better way would be to have a seperate forum. Then posters would tend to use the correct forum, and if not a post could easily be moved to the correct forum (as easily as moving to 'off-topic posts').
    What is contentious about that, it seems to me a simple, sensible suggestion?  No one has (imo) suggested anything better.

Perhaps the answer is to rename 'off-topic posts' to 'VB6 posts'

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 3:10 PM
  • I already have stated that I did not start this thread to give voice to lobbyists for a VB6 support.

Your incessant proselytizing is extremely rude and, at best, tiresome.  Do us all a favor and stop posting to this thread.

• Edited by RLWA32 Wednesday, June 13, 2018 3:24 PM
    Wednesday, June 13, 2018 3:23 PM
  • You see, when you keep saying things that the users of the forum know are un-true, like how good vb6 is at printing or installing etc, then the forum members will turn on you. Been there done that. I know better. If your app runs its only because you continue to hack it so it runs.

You probably don't know better.  Why should you find it "un-true" that you can do (in VB6)  print preview and output from that preview to a choice of printers, pdf, Office files, etc.?  I was doing that back in 2000. (Actually the pdf output was added later, I don't remember when).  It is actually very easy.

And installing using msi?.  I use Caphyon's Advanced Installer (which has a VB6 option). More commonly VB6 developers use InnoSetup.

You can even do multi-threading with VB6 (I have done so to drive high-speed document scanners).

It is all fairly standard stuff.  

Most of my applications that ran on Windows 2000 or XP will still run unchanged on Windows 10 v1803. Though  in practice I have updated them to look more modern (again easy to change old VB6-style recessed '3D' text boxes etc to modern Aero/Windows 10 style just by adding a manifest) and adding new features.

That's why VB.Net doesn't really seem to offer a lot from my point of view.  Though now I certainly have more understanding of why forum members seem to dislike VB6 so much if they don't realize what it is capable of.
    Seriously, for Windows desktop work I don't find VB.Net gives me anything I don't get with VB6. (though I admit my VB.Net usage was mainly VB2005, VB2008 and VB2010).  I could never justify re-writing working apps.

Though I still support some VB.Net apps (again I couldn't justify rewriting them) I don't really use it now.

I did find VB.Net very good for Mobile apps (Windows Mobile 6.x) but this market is almost gone now.

Again what I have stated above isn't intended to be contentious, I was just replying to you.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 3:41 PM