WHS install does not make it to the WHS Welcome and Password pages RRS feed

• Question

• I am installing WHS evaluation copy on a Pentium 4 machine that I have.  Everything seems to load up fine, but it stops before I get to the WHS Welcome Page where, as I understand it, I am supposed to be asked for a password.

Instead, all I get is a mostly blank Grey screen with "Windows Server build number xxxx", or such, written in the bottom right corner of the screen.  No menus or consoles are displayed.

Hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL brings up the task manager, but, again, there are no other menus.

My computer uses an Asus P4P-800 mother board with an on-board Network Card.

Any ideas?

-Mike-
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 6:05 PM

Answers

• Resolved/Answered

It was the dual CD/DVD drives that caused the problem.  I think that upon automatically rebooting, WHS switched to the CD ROM drive to look for the rest of the installation instructions.

I installed with just the DVD ROM drive pluged in and everything worked fine.

-Mike-
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 8:06 PM

All replies

• When you install Windows Home Server, you need to leave the DVD in the drive until installation has completed, i.e. until you've reached the welcome screen. Did you do this?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 6:17 PM
  • Thanks Ken.  Yes, I left the DVD in the drive like I would during a normal Windows install.  Also, I did try start over and everything that I described in my orginal post happened again.

I wonder if, because this computer has a CD-ROM drive and a DVD-ROM drive, it is getting confused upon reboot during the install process.  Right now, I am reinstalling WHS with the CD_ROM drive uninstalled.

-Mike-
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 6:46 PM
  • Resolved/Answered

It was the dual CD/DVD drives that caused the problem.  I think that upon automatically rebooting, WHS switched to the CD ROM drive to look for the rest of the installation instructions.

I installed with just the DVD ROM drive pluged in and everything worked fine.

-Mike-
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 8:06 PM