none
Virus makes Windows 7 not genuine? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Last week, I fixed a virus on a client's computer (stopping all files from opening, slow performance, generally making the computer useless), but after fixing all these problems, my client's Windows 7 is still not genuine, a problem received with the virus, and can not receive updates. I'm assuming I have to reinstall Windows 7. Not a big deal now that drivers are automatic and Windows automatically backs up my old harddrive.

My question is, is there something I can advise my clients to install to specifically protect Windows 7 Genuine from viruses? My concern is getting updates from Microsoft if a worm has already got on my computer.

Thanks,

Morgan

Online Branding

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 5:36 PM

Answers

• "tallmorgan" wrote in message news:ae5f79d4-f2cb-4e97-b158-32c8585ea49f...

Hi,

Last week, I fixed a virus on a client's computer (stopping all files from opening, slow performance, generally making the computer useless), but after fixing all these problems, my client's Windows 7 is still not genuine, a problem received with the virus, and can not receive updates. I'm assuming I have to reinstall Windows 7. Not a big deal now that drivers are automatic and Windows automatically backs up my old harddrive.

My question is, is there something I can advise my clients to install to specifically protect Windows 7 Genuine from viruses? My concern is getting updates from Microsoft if a worm has already got on my computer.

Thanks,

Morgan

Online Branding

No - there is nothing better than user-education to prevent snarlups of any kind, including virus infection and WGA problems...

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Edited by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:08 PM removed "In Your Own Thread"
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:08 PM
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 6:18 PM
  • A lot of malware these days uses human engineering to trick users into allowing malware onto a computer.  There is nothing to prevent users from exercising poor judgment.  As long as a computer is connected to the internet and under the control of a user there is no way to guarantee that it will not get a virus sometime.  As Noel says, education is vital.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 7:41 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• "tallmorgan" wrote in message news:ae5f79d4-f2cb-4e97-b158-32c8585ea49f...

Hi,

Thanks,

Morgan

Online Branding

No - there is nothing better than user-education to prevent snarlups of any kind, including virus infection and WGA problems...

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

--

• Edited by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:08 PM removed "In Your Own Thread"
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:08 PM
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 6:18 PM
  • A lot of malware these days uses human engineering to trick users into allowing malware onto a computer.  There is nothing to prevent users from exercising poor judgment.  As long as a computer is connected to the internet and under the control of a user there is no way to guarantee that it will not get a virus sometime.  As Noel says, education is vital.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 7:41 PM
    Answerer
  • "Vegan Fanatic" wrote in message news:5380496e-3c90-477d-b1f3-5b7c6d209806...

I have found some malware that tries to steal every cd-key on a machine not just the windows one.

My old Vista license was ripped off like that.

Of late there has been so many different malware programs I have been hired to clean up that I am now getting rather busy. Many do no know that they are infected.

There is no such thing as a 'cd-key' - please get your terminology right.
    If you mean installed licenses, that's nothing new - and if you'd had decent anti-malware installed and running properly, then you wouldn't have been infected.

The only reason you are busy is because people know no better.

--

Friday, June 24, 2011 1:41 PM