Cannot retrieve calendar information - Cannot synchronize address book RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have set up OCS 2007 Eval on a Windows 2003 server, DB is on a back-end server. Then I installed Communicator 2007 (2.0.6362.0). I can send and receive IM, but there are 2 error messages: Outlook integration error --> Cannot retrieve your calendar information, and Cannot synchronize with the corporate address book. Outlook 2007 is working fine. So I suppose there is a configuration problem somewhere, but I cannot find where.

Any hint would be appreciated, thank you

Pierrot

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 6:20 AM

Answers

•  

I found these lines in the Communicator 2007 Product Guide:

Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 and Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 are required for Outlook integration options.

This is at least clear and explains why I get the error "Outlook integration error".

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 5:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Two frequently occuring causes:

1. Do you use multiple Outlook profiles? If so make sure the profile you want to use is the default profile.

2. Also, make sure the account you use for OCS is the same account you use for Outlook.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 11:02 AM
  • I have only one outlook profile, and I use the same user for Communicator and Outlook.

Now I checked the Event Viewer and I see this event, which I believe is related to my problem:

-----------------------------------

Event Code: 3008

[...  date, time info ...]

Application information:

Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/1/Root/Abs/Int/Handler-1-128351144371174254

Trust level: WSS_Minimal

Application Virtual Path: /Abs/Int/Handler

Application Path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007\Web Components\Address Book Files\Int\Handler\

Machine name: <here the server name>

Process information:

Process name: w3wp.exe

Account name: <domain>\RTCComponentService

Exception information:

Exception type: ConfigurationErrorsException

Exception message: Could not load file or assembly 'ABServerHttpHandler, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. Failed to grant minimum permission requests. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131417) (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007\Web Components\Address Book Files\Int\Handler\web.config line 8)

Request information:

Request URL: https://<poolname>/Abs/Int/Handler/F-099a.lsabs

Request path: /Abs/Int/Handler/F-099a.lsabs

-----------------------------------

This tells me that the file F-099a.lsabs cannot be found, which is normal because it does not exist.

How do I let OCS create this file ?

Pierrot

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 12:05 PM
  • Hi Pierrot,

I had a similar problem: Outlook integration error --> Cannot retrieve your calendar information and Outlook integration error --> Cannot retrieve Ouf Of Office information. The problem was that the Exchange 2007 Server was running with its default certificate which is self signed and not trusted by the clients. Once I added this certificate to the "Trusted Root Certification Authorities" in the computer store on the client computer, the Communicator clients started retrieving info from the Exchange server without issues.

In my situation this is a lab environment. But generally it is not recommended to run the Exchange 2007 with its default self signed certificate since by default it is not trusted by anyone. For a production - set up the Exchange with certificate from your internal CA or other certificate that your clients trust.

Hope that helps,

Lubo.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 10:22 AM
  • I suddenly notice that we have Exchange 2003. Is the version 2007 mandatory ?

Monday, October 8, 2007 8:58 AM
  • Well, I'm not sure if Exchange 2007 is required.  Based on your first post: "Cannot retrieve your calendar information, and Cannot synchronize with the corporate address book". The Calendar Information in Exchange 2007 is retrieved through a Web Service or using Public Folders (for compatibility with Ex2003). The URLs for the web service are provided by the Autodiscover service. These features are new to Ex2007 and do not exist in Ex2003.

So if OC 2007 by desgn is trying to contact the Autodiscover service and then use the information it provides (URLs to web service) to contact the Exchange web services to retrive the calendar infrormation them maybe Ex2007 is requirement.

But I'm not sure. May some from the OCS 2007 product team could give more light on the issue.

And one suggestion that may sound stupid at first, but I've seen it helps: Try to enable the "Cached Exchange Mode" for the Outlook Profile.

Lubo.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 12:58 PM
  •  

Exchange 2007 is almost a nessecity for OCS 2007 integration with Unified Messaging concept.

Without Exchange 2007 you cannot achieve Calander sync and OOF on OCS.

As Lubo mentioned Ex2k7 works on AutoDiscovery concept so need to DNS record in your zone pointing to your Exchange 2007 Servers IP Address.

autodiscover == ip

So if you want 99 % features with Unified messaging, you need Exchange 2007...

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 3:15 PM
  •  

Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 and Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 are required for Outlook integration options.

This is at least clear and explains why I get the error "Outlook integration error".

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 5:32 AM
  •  Pierrot Heritier wrote:

I have the cannot synchronize address book error.. but cant figure out how to fix it.. i have outlook 2007 and ocs 2007..

Anyone found a fix for this..

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 7:59 PM
  •  

Actually.. now i'm being prompted for corp. address book credentials.. but the usual creds dont work.. it just comes back up asking for them for some reason (though i would think it shouldnt ask for any)...

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 3:48 PM
  • Same here, I am running OCS on the same server as exchange 2007.. Any Ideas?

**edit** I am getting both the addressbook error and the exchange errors... I do use my own cert signed by a CA and it is in my trusted store.

TIA

Saturday, October 27, 2007 2:09 AM
  • I just wanted to let you know that I installed OCS on another server, and that I could download the address book. I had SharePoint Server 2007 installed on the first server, I believe that there was a problem with conflicting web.config files of SharePoint and OCS. So far so good. BUT: I get now an error "Outlook integration error" ... I will start another thread with this one !

Monday, November 12, 2007 12:27 PM
  •  

Configuring the ABS dir in IIS to allow windows athentication fixed my address book issues.

Still stuck with the exchange issues though. Could not retrieve calendar or out of office info from exchange Web services. My exchange server is on a different server and works fine in outlook just not OCS... Anyone stumble across anything yet? I tried screwing with the EWS dir iis permission but no luck.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 6:08 PM
  •  

Am in same boat... also experiencing repeated login prompts "Communicator - Services Sign in", "Type your credentials to retrieve calendar data from Outlook" It will not accept my credentials in any form and  when I finally cancel login dialog,  communicator shows an "Exchange connection error" and selecting it shows "Could not retrieve calendar or out of office info from exchange Web services"

My EWS directory on exchange supports following auth mechanisms;

InternalAuthenticationMethods : {Basic, Ntlm, WindowsIntegrated}
    ExternalAuthenticationMethods : {Basic, Ntlm, WindowsIntegrated}
    BasicAuthentication           : True
    DigestAuthentication          : False
    WindowsAuthentication         : True

Any hints are appreciated.
    Tuesday, March 18, 2008 3:42 AM
  •  

do you have sharepoint on this server?
    Tuesday, March 18, 2008 2:19 PM
  • Brett, no I did not have sharepoint on either OCPool machine or any of the Exchange CA machines.

I was however able to solve the issue after stumbling on following ;

http://communicationsserverteam.com/archive/2007/12/17/52.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/871179/

In my case I had to delete a SPN: Setspn -d http/fqdn_exchange_CA_server RTCComponentService

This was a left over relic from either the days where I had LCS2005 pool co-located on exchange CA servers, or from an attempt where I tried to co-locate OC2007 on Exchange front end servers (gave up on that because there where to many issues)

So take a hard look at all SPN's registered for your Exchange as well as OC servers and the domain account under which your application pool in IIS is running. (wouldn't be surprised if some left-over relic from Sharepoint is throwing you a similar curve-ball).

G'luck, Andre

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 4:20 PM
  • Here some advises from my side:

This is a know issue with this release and will be addressed in the RTM version.

There are some things that can be checked to possibly resolve some issues.

• Start Outlook, wait a few minutes and then start Communicator.
    • Check that Outlook is using the default profile.
    • Verify you are using Office Communicator 2007 build 2.6090.0.

I'm running this version of MOC

Download newest version: Download

• Verify your Internet Explorer proxy settings are correct for your environment.
    • Try to connect to your Adress Book Server URL's manually. If they are not accessible, then troubleshoot your web services:
      • For example:
        • Try to connect to the URLs from the server.
        • Check for any DNS issues.
        • Check any routing issues.
        • Try resetting IIS.
        • Try restarting the web pages.

• Verify you are using the same credentials in Outlook as you are in Communicator.
    • Verify your are not using an untrusted certificate in Exchange Server 2007.
    • Delete galcontacts.db located in %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Communicator On the OCS server open a command prompt. Navigate to <install path>\Server\Core\ and then run ABServer.exe -syncNow
    • In Office Communicator, under Tools>Options,on the bottom part of the Personal tab is the Personal information manager. Verify that the 'Automatically retrieve Out of Office settings from Outlook' and 'Update my status based on calendar data' options have been selected.

More information can be found on http://unified-communications.blogspot.com (RSS)

-Joachim Farla

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 6:44 PM
  • The Issue is related to your Exchange Certificate, The problem was that the Exchange 2007 Server was running with its default certificate which is self signed and not trusted by the clients. Once I added this certificate to the "Trusted Root Certification Authorities" in the computer store on the client computer, the Communicator clients started retrieving info from the Exchange server without issues.

Alternatively you can save the self signed certificate to each workstation, navigate to htts://mail.companyname.com click Certificate error then click view Certificate.

If you are a local admin rights you can install the certificate, Click Install Certificate.   Click Next to complete the install wizard then close Communicator and sing back inn.  

Communicator was then able to retrieve Calendar information from Exchange

Gary Trembath MCSA

MCP MCDST
    • Proposed as answer by Gary Trembath Thursday, October 1, 2009 10:49 AM
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 10:49 AM