Is it possible to run an Hpc Cluster in Azure? RRS feed

• Question

• We are looking to move our compute infrastructure into Azure to allow for an elastic sized compute cluster.  

1. Has anyone tried to run Hpc in Azure?
    2. How were compute nodes managed?
    3. How were compute node images dealt with.  For example, your major work is done, a node is brought offline, did you keep the VM around for later reuse or always go with a newly created node when every the cluster needed more CPUs?
    Any other information on this would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
    -Scott

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 11:42 PM

Answers

• HPC on Azure will be supported in SP1. The main goal is to support SOA type jobs.

So far, all nodes on Azure will be kept after job finished, until cluster admin remove them. And of course, admin will need to add/provision them before job started. It's not a automatic grow/shrink model. However, we do support time-based scheduling of adding and removing Azure nodes.

The document related to HPC on Azure will be available soon after HPC 2008 R2 SP1 is available.

• Marked as answer by Don Pattee Saturday, February 5, 2011 12:36 AM
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 3:32 AM
  • You are correct that the HPC Pack 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 update which enables Azure nodes also requires at least one machine 'on premise' to act as the head node.

There have been no announcements about removing that requirement, but HPC team continually looks at ways to improve our software and the user experience around it.

Saturday, February 5, 2011 12:36 AM

All replies

• HPC on Azure will be supported in SP1. The main goal is to support SOA type jobs.

So far, all nodes on Azure will be kept after job finished, until cluster admin remove them. And of course, admin will need to add/provision them before job started. It's not a automatic grow/shrink model. However, we do support time-based scheduling of adding and removing Azure nodes.

The document related to HPC on Azure will be available soon after HPC 2008 R2 SP1 is available.

Thursday, December 9, 2010 3:32 AM
  • I've seen the announcements on "bursting" capability planned for SP1.  Is there a purely Azure model that is/will be supported in SP1?  We want the head node and compute nodes to live in Azure.  I thought the VM Role would support this, but I've heard mixed opinions on this.
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 4:31 PM
  • Since the initial post I've seen that compute nodes can be added into the Azure Cloud but unfortunately that hybrid model does not work well for our situation.

1. Is there a plan to allow for the entire Hpc infrastructure  (head, broker & compute nodes) to be put into the Azure Cloud?

2. If there is a plan for #1 is there a rough estimate for when that would be available?

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:46 PM
  • You are correct that the HPC Pack 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 update which enables Azure nodes also requires at least one machine 'on premise' to act as the head node.

There have been no announcements about removing that requirement, but HPC team continually looks at ways to improve our software and the user experience around it.

Saturday, February 5, 2011 12:36 AM
  • i agree with you.

We are providing microsoft products frontpage 2003
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 6:41 AM