INSTALLING WINDOWS HOME SERVER RRS feed

• Question

•  

HI EVERYONE:

THIS IS MY CASE, I BOUGTH 3 WEEKS AGO AN ORIGINAL OEM WINDOWS HOME SERVER SOFTWARE WITH THE INTENTION TO BE INSTALLED IN MY HOME PC WITH THE NEXT CHARACTERISTICS:

DELL DIMENSION 9100

PROCESSOR: PENTIUM 4 AT 3GHz WITH 1GB RAM

HARD DRIVE : INTEL 80GB  SATA 3.0Gb, SERIAL ATA

I HAVE TRYED TO INSTALL THE WHS AND WHEN WHS SETUP REBOOT MY PC IT'S DISPLAYED A BLUE SCREEN WITH THE ERROR 0x0000007B(0xF789EA94,0x0000034,0x00000000,........), AND ALSO SUGGEST THE NEXT:

CHECK ERRORS IN HARD DRIVE: DISCARD(ALREADY DONE NO ERRORS)

UNINSTALL NEW HARDWARE: DISCARD (ALREADY DONE) 

CHECK ANTIVIRUS: DISCARD (ALREADY DONE)

THEN I REBOOT MANUALLY THE SYSTEM AND PRESS F6, AND I CAN SEE THAT THE HAR DIRVE IS NOT RECOGNIZED THEN I LOAD THE ASKED FILE "TXTSETUP.OEM" AND THEN ASK FOR THE iaStor, iaahci FILES, I LOAD THEM AND FINALLY  RECOGNIZES MY HARD DRIVE CONFIGURATION AND THE SYSTEM IS AUTOMATICALLY REBOOTED BUT THE RESULT IS THE SAME BLUE SCREEN WITH THE SAME ERROR DISPLAYED. I HAVE DONE THIS OVER AND OVER AGAIN AND I HAVE FAILED EVERY TIME WITH THE SAME ERROR.

THE WHS SOFTWARE IS ON ENGLISH AND MY OS IS IN SPANISH, ¿DOYOU THINK THAT THIS IS THE CAUSE BECAUSE I CAN'T INSTALL IT?, I THINK THAT THE PROBABLY IS LOW BECAUSE DURING THE WHS SETUP THE HARD DRIVE IS TOTALLY CLEANED (FORMATED).

OR ¿DO YOU THINK THAT IS A HARDWARE INCOPATIBILITY?

THIS SITUATION IS DRIVING ME CRAZY ALL THIS WEEK. I HOPE SOME ONE COULD HELP ME.

GREETINGS.

Saturday, February 2, 2008 5:51 PM

Answers

• Hi, Welcome to the forum.

First, using an 80Gb hard drive is the absolute minimum that WHS will install on, if you check through the forums, you really need a LOT larger hard drive. Microsoft recommend using your largest available drive at the time of building.

As you need to install drivers for your SATA drive, you need to install them twice. Once at the beginning, while the server 2003 portion is being installed, and then again when WHS is being installed. This second time, is via the F6 key which you will have to be 'quick' to catch - you may need to keep pressing it.

Finally, you need to keep the DVD in the drive, right through until the end and WHS has started, don't remove it at any point.

Colin

Saturday, February 2, 2008 6:16 PM
  • Colin, the two driver installation points are:
    1. During the initial graphical setup phase, while setup is gathering information about the system and how it's to be (re)installed. This is the first phase after initially booting with the DVD in place.
    2. After the first reboot (post-1. above), in Windows Server 2003 text mode setup. This second driver load is the "Press F6" prompt.
    That said, The OP should make sure that he's using the correct drivers for his hardware (Windows Server 2003 if available, otherwise try XP), and that he leaves the DVD in place during all of setup, right through to the Windows Home Server Welcome screen at the end. If he removes the DVD (for example to load drivers off of CD) he should replace it before proceeding.

That's if he's determined to use AHCI drivers. Better would be to simply set his BIOS to use IDE mode for his SATA ports. In that configuration, he will sacrifice a tiny bit of performance (that he wouldn't see in the real world anyway) and would not ned to load any drivers. This is the recommended solution for most people.
    Sunday, February 3, 2008 3:33 PM

All replies

• Hi, Welcome to the forum.

First, using an 80Gb hard drive is the absolute minimum that WHS will install on, if you check through the forums, you really need a LOT larger hard drive. Microsoft recommend using your largest available drive at the time of building.

As you need to install drivers for your SATA drive, you need to install them twice. Once at the beginning, while the server 2003 portion is being installed, and then again when WHS is being installed. This second time, is via the F6 key which you will have to be 'quick' to catch - you may need to keep pressing it.

Finally, you need to keep the DVD in the drive, right through until the end and WHS has started, don't remove it at any point.

Colin

Saturday, February 2, 2008 6:16 PM
  • Colin, the two driver installation points are:
    1. During the initial graphical setup phase, while setup is gathering information about the system and how it's to be (re)installed. This is the first phase after initially booting with the DVD in place.
    2. After the first reboot (post-1. above), in Windows Server 2003 text mode setup. This second driver load is the "Press F6" prompt.
    That said, The OP should make sure that he's using the correct drivers for his hardware (Windows Server 2003 if available, otherwise try XP), and that he leaves the DVD in place during all of setup, right through to the Windows Home Server Welcome screen at the end. If he removes the DVD (for example to load drivers off of CD) he should replace it before proceeding.

That's if he's determined to use AHCI drivers. Better would be to simply set his BIOS to use IDE mode for his SATA ports. In that configuration, he will sacrifice a tiny bit of performance (that he wouldn't see in the real world anyway) and would not ned to load any drivers. This is the recommended solution for most people.
    Sunday, February 3, 2008 3:33 PM
  • THANKS COLIN, THE TIP IS "BE QUICK TO CATCH F6 IN THE SECOND INSTALL OF DRIVERS", BECAUSE IF YOU LET THAT THE BLUE SCREEN WITH THE ERROR IS DISPLAYED THEN START UP SOME KIND OF LOCK AND EVEN WHEN YOU LOAD THE DRIVER AFTER THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE.

THANKS SO MUCH.

THAN YOU ALSO KEN.

NOW I AM GETTING SOME TROUBLES TO SHARE INTERNET WITH THE OTHER PC'S OF MY NETWORK, BECAUSE I HAVE THE SERVER TO THE DSL ROUTER AND WITH A SECOND NETWORK CARD IN THE SERVER TO A HUB WHERE THE OTHER PC'S OF THE NETWORK GET CONNETION TO THE SERVER. ALREADY NOW I CAN SHARE FILES AND EVERYTHING EXCEPT INTERNET CONECTION BECAUSE DE SECOND NETWORK CARD HAS LIMITED CONNECTION.

GREETINGS
    Wednesday, February 6, 2008 9:39 PM
  •  

I didn't find a lot of information on the forums about how to get Windows Home Server to work with RAID, although I understand it is an "unsupported" configuration.  There are a lot of good things about RAID (I'm using RAID 5), mostly in the performance area, that are not completely addressed in the Windows Home Server world of "shadowed" folders.  But my intention is not to start an argument about whether or not to use RAID (there is plenty of that already on the forums), but rather how I got it working using RAID.

First attempt (failure):

1. Loaded RAID drivers from CD supplied with my RAID card (Promise TX4310) during the first part of install.

2. During second part of install (when it reboots and tries to read the HD with the blue text screen) it could not find the RAID driver (was looking for it amongst the installation files that it copied to the HD).  Kept getting an error 14.  Typing the F6 key did not seem to work at all (maybe because it wants to load the driver before the part where it prompts you for additional drivers?).

3. I did the install about 3 times; tried for "magic timing" of hitting the F6 key.  Nothing worked.

Second attempt (success):

1. Created a floppy disk (I hate them!) with the RAID drivers on it, with the txtsetup.oem file in the root.  Made sure that the correct driver was pointed to in the [default] section of this file.

2. Inserted the floppy and the install DVD, made sure that the computer BIOS was set to boot from DVD drive first and started up the computer.

3. When it prompted me for the driver associated with a HD volume (my RAID drives are the only fixed storage in the system), I pointed it at the floppy.

4. At some point it rebooted for the second part of the install (I was away from the computer at the time) and it magically and automatically found the driver on the floppy without any input on my part and the install continued beautifully!

So the key to a successful RAID install is to place the RAID driver on a floppy with the root directory of the floppy containing the txtsetup.oem file (and the [default] section in this file being set correctly).

Here is my rant section:

During the second reboot, the 2003 server install is capable of reading some portion of the HD in order to start the install itself (verified this by noticing that the HD lights were flickering).  Why can't the install copy the *bleeping* driver to that part of the HD and automatically read it?  Hmmm.....

• Proposed as answer by ZonkTheBear Monday, September 5, 2011 7:43 PM
    Monday, April 7, 2008 6:26 PM
  • I was running into the same situation.  What worked for me was going into Bios and changing the SATA mode from AHCI mode to IDE.  Setup continued right after saving this setting and rebooting.

Sunday, March 7, 2010 9:43 PM
  • I totally agree with your final statement.....it would seem the most obvious thing to do!

Situation I am in is that my Home Server decided to crash a while ago, but during my attempt to repair the install I came across an interesting situation: I cannot press f6 to load my drivers.

Okay, maybe I am missing something blatantly obvious.

I have tried numerous keyboards incase of simple keyboard error - nothing.
    Pressing F2 works when prompted......just F6 not working when prompted.

So I have a dead home server sat there, full of data which I would much rather not lose.
    Simply because I cannot load the SATA drivers in at the beginning of the resetup because the machine just  ignores me pressing F6 (or pressing repeatedly, or holding it down, or pressing whilst cursing........etc)

I'm not looking forward to removing the drives and going through each one to recover the data on a spare Win7 box.

Anyone got any ideas?

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 1:54 PM