Duplacation button not responding RRS feed

• Question

• <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

I have WHS running two 1-T hard drives; I set the second one up for duplication. I have also moved some media files to my shared folders and have tried to turn on duplication for them in the folder property’s box. My problem is that the radio button will not work (no check mark).   I can’t seem to find this problem on the forum anywhere.

Also my second drive says it is 100% Free, under Server storage.

So my questions are:

1. How to get the "enable folder duplication button" to function.
    2. Do I truly have any data on drive #2
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 3:23 PM

Answers

• <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

I have WHS running two 1-T hard drives; I set the second one up for duplication. I have also moved some media files to my shared folders and have tried to turn on duplication for them in the folder property’s box. My problem is that the radio button will not work (no check mark).   I can’t seem to find this problem on the forum anywhere.

So my questions are:

It sounds to me like you added the drive as a backup drive.  You need to go back and add it to the storage pool instead.
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 3:34 PM
  • Thanks Ken, I think I am finely getting the hang of this thing.
    • Marked as answer by Kentucky John Sunday, August 2, 2009 6:06 PM
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 4:58 PM

All replies

So my questions are:

It sounds to me like you added the drive as a backup drive.  You need to go back and add it to the storage pool instead.
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 3:34 PM
  • Thanks for the reply kariy21 that was the problem, now I can check the buttons just fine. It doubled my drive storage so I assume now if I lose a hard drive on the server that all the computers and shared folders will be protected via the second drive, is that correct?
    Sorry it took so long to respond, I am just now recovered from a fight with a nest of wasps.  John
    Monday, July 27, 2009 11:05 PM
  • Thanks for the reply kariy21 that was the problem, now I can check the buttons just fine. It doubled my drive storage so I assume now if I lose a hard drive on the server that all the computers and shared folders will be protected via the second drive, is that correct?
    Sorry it took so long to respond, I am just now recovered from a fight with a nest of wasps.  John

Folder Duplication only works for shared folders (not the backup database).
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 3:04 AM
  • If I have two hard drives, I was under the impression that if ether one went down that the other would have the same information on it for copying or restoring. This is the main reason I bought the second drive, I only have about 400GB of data on all my computers. If this is not the case, is there a way to make it happen? John
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 2:01 PM
  • There's no supported way to enable duplication of the backup database and (in general) there's no need, as the home computers that are backed up are in effect the "backup" of the backup database.

That said, if you look in the Developers forum for BDBB you'll find an add-in that will let you back up the database to an external drive for taking offsite, and which also lets you turn on duplication for the database.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:24 PM
  • Thanks Ken, I think I am finely getting the hang of this thing.
    • Marked as answer by Kentucky John Sunday, August 2, 2009 6:06 PM
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 4:58 PM