none
Router + Router + WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I had to upgrade to Comcast Business for some work I am doing at home since retirement.  The Comcast folks said they would have to replace the Motorola Surfboard modem with another one which they did.  Unfortunately, this is a modem/router combination.  My Netgear WNR3500 Wirless router is plugged into one of the router ports on the Comcast modem/router and my MediaSmart WHS is plugged into the WNR3500 wireless router.

I haven't tried it yet, but can I still access my HP MediaSmart server via the internet?  I know I now have more than one set of IP addresses to get through.  How can this be done, if at all?  Comcast IP\\SMC modem/router IP\\Netgear IP\\MediaSmart IP?

What would happen if I plugged the MediaSmart into the Comcast modem/router?  Would I still be able to access it from one of the other computers via the wireless radio?

I'm sure I'll have other questions later.  Like, was it really necessary for Comcast to replace the Motorola router with this SMC box?  Are cable modems like telephone wire modems in they are built for a specific "speed"?  I sure would like to go back to the Motorola Surfboard and WNR3500 combination!

Regards,

Turner

Saturday, June 28, 2008 4:34 PM

Answers

• Turner,

Hi,

Well, initially, you can run through two routers, but you are making it complex!

What you want, is for your router closest to the internet to provide your internal IP's by DHCP and your downstream router to be just acting as a switch. Also, for simplest operation, you would be best plugging your server into the new router and as long as your clients are on the same subnet, which they should be with only one router providing DHCP to the whole network, you should have no problems with the WHS operations.

I'm not sure of Comcast's modem/routers, but I would think they will have them modified for their own network so Comcast won't recognise third-party modems, which means you won't be able to exchange their supplied one, for your own.

Colin

Saturday, June 28, 2008 7:09 PM

All replies

• Turner,

Hi,

Well, initially, you can run through two routers, but you are making it complex!

What you want, is for your router closest to the internet to provide your internal IP's by DHCP and your downstream router to be just acting as a switch. Also, for simplest operation, you would be best plugging your server into the new router and as long as your clients are on the same subnet, which they should be with only one router providing DHCP to the whole network, you should have no problems with the WHS operations.

I'm not sure of Comcast's modem/routers, but I would think they will have them modified for their own network so Comcast won't recognise third-party modems, which means you won't be able to exchange their supplied one, for your own.

Colin

Saturday, June 28, 2008 7:09 PM
  • Thanks for the information.  Looks like I'll still have to do a little experimenting but that's what makes computers fun (and so exasperating at times!).

Turner

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 7:34 PM