Retail WinXP Pro vs. getting legit RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks-

My apologies if this has been answered before.

Can someone point out the advantages (other than price) on getting my current install blessed versus purchasing a brand new Retail copy of XP Pro?

Sunday, December 31, 2006 9:11 PM

Answers

• Sorry, but I'm not a mind reader and did not know what you had read and did not read since you failed to express yourself clearly in your original posting.  If your objective is to purchase a convention retail version of Windows XP Professional and subsequently change the existing non-genuine Product Key to a genuine Product key, you'll need to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP Professional and then use the Windows Product key Update Tool as follows:

Windows Product Key Update Tool Instructions: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/PkuInstructions.aspx?displayLang=en

P.S.  If you were to take advantage of the WGA offer from Microsoft, you would be purchasing a "Full Retail Version" of Windows XP Professional for around $149 U.S.  If you were to purchase a "Full Retail Version" of Windows XP Professional from a store that sells computer software (boxed version), the price is gernerally $299 U.S.  Doing the math, $299 - $149 = $150 savings.

Sunday, December 31, 2006 11:58 PM

All replies

• Sunday, December 31, 2006 9:29 PM
  • Already been through the canned answers--twice. Did that before I posted.

What I want to know--are there any advantages of one way over the other?

I only found one (other than the aforementioned price)--- since the stock answer is "do a clean install"--if I buy a retail copy; I can do that now instead of waiting a few week until my approved cd is shipped.

Anybody?  Do I get a magic decoder ring and X-ray specs with a retail copy?  Will the Authorized CD cure the brown spots in my lawn? Surely some actual users can give me a few points one way or the other.

Sunday, December 31, 2006 11:39 PM
  • Sorry, but I'm not a mind reader and did not know what you had read and did not read since you failed to express yourself clearly in your original posting.  If your objective is to purchase a convention retail version of Windows XP Professional and subsequently change the existing non-genuine Product Key to a genuine Product key, you'll need to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP Professional and then use the Windows Product key Update Tool as follows:

Windows Product Key Update Tool Instructions: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/PkuInstructions.aspx?displayLang=en

P.S.  If you were to take advantage of the WGA offer from Microsoft, you would be purchasing a "Full Retail Version" of Windows XP Professional for around $149 U.S.  If you were to purchase a "Full Retail Version" of Windows XP Professional from a store that sells computer software (boxed version), the price is gernerally $299 U.S.  Doing the math, $299 - $149 = $150 savings.

Sunday, December 31, 2006 11:58 PM
  • Aikrob,

Other than price, it's pretty much a wash, since the WGA kit is a full retail license as is of course the boxed store-bought version.  Support is the same.  I think there might be resale rights restrictions in the WGA Kit EULA, but that's more esoteric than anything.

If you went to a store and bought the retail box, you could still save the clean installation by using the key updater utility and entering the PK from your retail package.  If the pirated installed XP is a cracked download from the internet, then it is advisable to do a clean installation, since the online cracked copies have been shown by MS to be very likely to have rootkits, viruses, malware, and who-knows-what-else embedded into the CD and the subsequent XP installation.

As Carey posted, the USA price for the Pro WGA Kit is $149 vs. the usual price of $299 at retail, cheaper if there's a sale or a rebate.

Monday, January 1, 2007 4:38 PM