none
Combine two saved backup files RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using Microsoft money plus sunset for my home finances. I also have a copy on our laptop with the files in it. I set up my Mothers checkbook in the laptop and now want to add it to my desktop but have already updated my desktop files. So I have a unique backup of the laptop and the desktop to combine. Can I do it?

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 8:39 PM

Answers

• Make an extra backup in case you want to undo something.

Only one account that you want to bring into your own Money file? Open your mother's file on the laptop computer. File->Export the file in question as loose QIF. The  bank account will be a regular account. Name the file Mom.qif and put it on a USB flash drive.

Open your Money file. Create the new Checking account in your file. Plug in the USB flash drive to your computer File->Import->RecoverAccounts. Select Mom.qif from the USB flash drive. Specify when asked that the QIF info goes into that the account to into your mother's checking account that you created.

If the balance is off, you can add a single transaction in the checking account register dated older than all other transactions, to account for the difference. The alternative is to change the OpeningBalance. I prefer the single transaction where you can see it in the register, but others will prefer the OpeningBalance method.

While thinking of it, review your backup policies. Set your closing backup and scheduled backup to have 4 or more vintages. Make the scheduled backup backups go to a different place, such as to a USB flash drive or to the OneDrive folder which replicates to the cloud.

• Marked as answer by afish49 Thursday, June 19, 2014 11:28 PM
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 2:05 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure that I exactly understand what you want to do, but if you want to add your mother's accounts to your home file you can do that with a QIF export of your mother's accounts from the file with her transactions and and an import into your home file.  The first response (by Cal learner) to this post:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1c0b8388-6963-409d-8bab-fee8a7be2aa3/error-when-importing-qif-files-from-money-2000-standard-international-versions-to-money-plus-sunset?forum=money

may be helpful.

Bill Becker

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 1:24 AM
  • Make an extra backup in case you want to undo something.

Only one account that you want to bring into your own Money file? Open your mother's file on the laptop computer. File->Export the file in question as loose QIF. The  bank account will be a regular account. Name the file Mom.qif and put it on a USB flash drive.

Open your Money file. Create the new Checking account in your file. Plug in the USB flash drive to your computer File->Import->RecoverAccounts. Select Mom.qif from the USB flash drive. Specify when asked that the QIF info goes into that the account to into your mother's checking account that you created.

If the balance is off, you can add a single transaction in the checking account register dated older than all other transactions, to account for the difference. The alternative is to change the OpeningBalance. I prefer the single transaction where you can see it in the register, but others will prefer the OpeningBalance method.

While thinking of it, review your backup policies. Set your closing backup and scheduled backup to have 4 or more vintages. Make the scheduled backup backups go to a different place, such as to a USB flash drive or to the OneDrive folder which replicates to the cloud.

• Marked as answer by afish49 Thursday, June 19, 2014 11:28 PM
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 2:05 PM
  • Do you really want to add her account to your Money file?  Or do you just want to move her Money file from your laptop to you your Desktop.  If that is what you want to do simply copy the mom.mny file (or whatever you called it) from the MyDocuments folder in the laptop to the MyDocuments folder in the desktop.  Just make sure it has a different name than your *.mny file on the Desktop.
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:06 PM
  • Do you really want to add her account to your Money file?  Or do you just want to move her Money file from your laptop to you your Desktop.  If that is what you want to do simply copy the mom.mny file (or whatever you called it) from the MyDocuments folder in the laptop to the MyDocuments folder in the desktop.  Just make sure it has a different name than your *.mny file on the Desktop.

Good point. If that is the choice, and I expect it is the better choice, then the user can switch back and forth using the most-recently-used list at the bottom of the File menu once you have used File->Open to open mom.mny on the desktop computer at least once.

Besides having different filenames for the *.mny files, it is important to have different names in the  Tools->Settings->BackupSettings SaveIn fields also.

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 10:29 PM