none
Username errors RRS feed

• Question

• A while ago, I was on these forums before as programmer-in-training.  I don't know it this has affected it, but I deleted and recreated my Live ID.  Anyway, recently I came back on and was required to enter a forums username again.  I tried to enter my former username (programmer-in-training) but it was taken, I presume by my earlier account.

Is there any way to regain it?

Thanks,
    programmer-in-training
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 8:03 PM

Answers

All replies

• You should be able to do that, if you change your username by logging in from your old LiveID and changing your display name (Click on My Profile, Change Profile, Edit Profile, and enter a display name different from "programmer-in-training" and hit Save)

Once the old LiveID is no longer associated with the username "programmer-in-training", you can use this to associate it with your new LiveID (i.e. Signout, Sign with new LiveID, and follow the above steps to update your display name)

Let me know if this helps.

Husain Shambhoora (@husains) | Program Manager, Profile & Bookmarks, Microsoft Corporation
    • Proposed as answer by Whosane002 Tuesday, April 7, 2009 5:03 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by testee2 Tuesday, April 7, 2009 5:28 PM
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 5:03 PM
  • I deleted the old account, though, and the new account has the same ID.

Probably my own fault, but is there a way to restore it?
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 5:28 PM
  • Unfortunately, I am not aware of any way to restore a closed Windows Live ID.

Based on the details at the below link, it seems that there isn't a way to restore that account.
    https://help.live.com/Help.aspx?market=en-US&project=LiveIDv1&querytype=topic&query=Accountv1_PROC_CloseAccount.htm

Recommend using your new LiveID and updating your username to another available name.

Husain Shambhoora (@husains) | Program Manager, Profile & Bookmarks, Microsoft Corporation
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 7:55 PM
  • Is it necessary to restore it, or can someone simply free up the username, since there is no account linked to it?
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 9:48 PM
  • We can swap the Live IDs on two accounts. Click Site Feedback at the bottom of this page to make that request.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Thursday, May 24, 2012 5:13 AM
    Owner