none
Improperly marked answers RRS feed

• Question

• While I really appreciate the forum moderators and Microsoft Support marking my replies as answers, some of it confuses me.  Sometimes, my replies are merely questions requesting additional information and not answers at all.  Yet, I'm finding many of these questioning replies marked as answers by people with the "Microsoft Support" role.  I can't understand why they'd do that because clearly the replies are NOT answers.  What are the criteria for marking posts as answers?
    Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 4:48 PM

All replies

• The management criterion for success of the forums is the percentage of questions that are answered, and there are people whose job it is to make sure that this percentage is as high as possible.
    David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 9:18 PM
  • While I really appreciate the forum moderators and Microsoft Support marking my replies as answers, some of it confuses me.  Sometimes, my replies are merely questions requesting additional information and not answers at all.  Yet, I'm finding many of these questioning replies marked as answers by people with the "Microsoft Support" role.  I can't understand why they'd do that because clearly the replies are NOT answers.  What are the criteria for marking posts as answers?
    Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

hi ,

i cant agree more , posting for example that there is no help or not forum to post your Q in , while there is in fact and then a few days later marking it as the answer seems to be a strange way of collecting medals for the load of new indian mods , ....

try to ask why they post like that ( sometimes its borderline abusive ) will get no reply from them , ....

but what is really bad is the fact they mark their own answer even when its wrong , there are certain threads where i wonder if they have even checked with the support site , ...

i fail to understand why they sometimes even have * mvp * next to their name or moderator for that matter , ....

have a nice day
    Scan with OneCare + 50 Windows 7even Tips + Plagued by the Privacy Center? REMOVE IT + Threat Research & Response Blog + Sysinternals Live tools + TRANSLATOR+ Photosynth + Microsoft Security + Microsoft SUPPORT + PIVOT from Live Labs + Microsoft Live Labs + Office 2010 beta + Get Windows LIVE!
  • If you want a worse example, here's one.

A MS Moderator in the "What is the Forum for?" forum - where you would think there was a need for accuracy - was sending people who wanted to know where to post Project Server 2007 posts to to a forum for Project 2007 *Client*. (Actually a forum for several Office client apps)

Needless to say the moment he had posted this completely incorrect information, he then proposed it as an answer. 

Note: These weren't cases where it was unclear whether the poster was asking about Project 2007 or Project Server 2007 - one of them had the Title "Where is the forum for Project Server 2007" !

That said, it would be very unfair to say that all Microsoft support people do so. It seems to depend on the guidelines they are receiving from their section boss. *He* (She) is the one in that case who is trying to game the system. I am very appreciate of "my" MS support section boss (for the forums I "work" on) who clearly hasn't issued such instructions (and who incidentally is receptive to occasional comments from me on the posts of his guys)

FAQ sites: (SP 2010) http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com; (v3) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com and (WSS 2.0) http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com
    Complete Book Lists (incl. foreign language) on each site.
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 8:27 AM
  • If you want a worse example, here's one.

A MS Moderator in the "What is the Forum for?" forum - where you would think there was a need for accuracy - was sending people who wanted to know where to post Project Server 2007 posts to to a forum for Project 2007 *Client*. (Actually a forum for several Office client apps)

Needless to say the moment he had posted this completely incorrect information, he then proposed it as an answer. 

Note: These weren't cases where it was unclear whether the poster was asking about Project 2007 or Project Server 2007 - one of them had the Title "Where is the forum for Project Server 2007" !

That said, it would be very unfair to say that all Microsoft support people do so. It seems to depend on the guidelines they are receiving from their section boss. *He* (She) is the one in that case who is trying to game the system. I am very appreciate of "my" MS support section boss (for the forums I "work" on) who clearly hasn't issued such instructions (and who incidentally is receptive to occasional comments from me on the posts of his guys)

FAQ sites: (SP 2010) http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com; (v3) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com and (WSS 2.0) http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com
    Complete Book Lists (incl. foreign language) on each site.

hi ,

that certain rise of indian mods who post there is no sub forum for this or that or who write that people cant be helped and then to make matter worse they mark that as he answer is really bothering me , .... i have found in 20 plus threads they are wrong , in the time they can post the wrong answer they can search for the right ( sub ) forum , ..

they never respond even after i post why they do it , ... agreed why would they care what i ask but when it comes to helping people they fail , in many cases i have been able to get the correct answer .

when an other mod posts in those threads the indian mods have the guts to unflag the mark of the other mods and keep their own as the answer even if its wrong

complain to much and the thread goes up in thin air and is deleted , ....

i really have a problem with it since they give everyone a bad reputation , and the fact they have ' MVP or Microsoft ' next to the users name makes it even worse !

being rude to people and writing that they post a stupid Q is a shock , i will not accept it , and i am sure neither will the other serious mods or mvp's for that mattter

hey you know me i write what i think is right, others dont dare to go against those indian mods becaus ethey delete messages and give people warnings , i just think its time to speak up before it gets out of hand

on the live support there are a few now also with the same tactics

have a nice day

i know you need some asperin now , sorry for dropping it in your lap
    Scan with OneCare + 50 Windows 7even Tips + Plagued by the Privacy Center? REMOVE IT + Threat Research & Response Blog + Sysinternals Live tools + TRANSLATOR+ Photosynth + Microsoft Security + Microsoft SUPPORT + PIVOT from Live Labs + Microsoft Live Labs + Office 2010 beta + Get Windows LIVE!
  • hi ,

one other problem , if certain mods dont like how you undermine them they go as far as stealing your post doing a cut copy paste and deleting your post , ...

it happend to me in the windows update problems where i posted the solution and the links to Microsoft , today all my posts are gone from the thread , ... only one small post with the 4th link to redmond mag is still there

its behaviour that is mod unbecoming and should be more taken serious !

further more i believe that a group o helpers could easy mods work , noam for example would be a great mod in the section where noam hangs out a lot , even if its just moving threads or sticky , organizing , etc , ... putting two threads of the same problem in one , etc , ...

just looking at the forums from a different angle , i know some people leave the site and Microsoft staff who are mods dont post anymore , instead they use their own blogs to help people but less people know about them , or they set up froums of their own , the feedback from is sharp but ignored , and its sad

have a nice day