Inconsistent/Poor Network or Disk Throughput? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I know Vail is beta, but is anyone else seeing poor network throughput? When transferring files from my Windows 7 desktop (from an Intel X25-M SSD) to my Vail WHS, my transfers start at close to 1Gbps (~900Mbps or so) and then after a few GB, the WHS drives start crunching like crazy and network throughput drops to nothing, then recovers and hovers around 200Mbps-250Mbps (30MB/sec) for the remainder of the transfer.

I know my WHS box is capable of higher throughput, as I routinely pegged 1Gbps with WHS v1. The WHS box is a Core 2 Duo E8400 (3.0GHz), Intel DP35DP system board (onboard Intel GigE NIC), 6GB RAM, 1 x 1.5TB Seagate SATA, 2 x 500GB Seagate SATA, connected to an ICH9R in AHCI mode. I've swapped system boards with a server-class Supermicro board, but the behavior remained. Before I start a disk trace or start looking at disk queue lengths with the performance monitor, I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this?

Sunday, May 2, 2010 1:09 AM

Answers

• Could you submit a bug report on Connect , with logs from server and a client that you're using for this testing? I don't see the sort of performance you describe on my server, so I'm suspicious of your hardware and drivers (network in particular). But I don't know for sure.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 7:05 PM

All replies

• I have noticed that the first backups made on each machine are excruciatingly slow, much more so that v1.  But like you haven't had time to really find out how slow and whether subsequent backups are any faster.  Guess it's time to get busy!!

RevBC

Sunday, May 2, 2010 2:07 AM
  • I've noticed the issue only seems to be when writing data to the WHS server. When copying the same file back from the server, it comes at full speed.
    • Edited by mevans336 Sunday, May 2, 2010 2:48 AM misspelling
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 2:48 AM
  • I've experienced the same slowness that you mention.  I find the Dashboard is also slow to respond.  Yet, to use remote access from the web, it appears to be much faster.  I'm hoping future iterations will reconcile this issue.
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 6:59 PM
  • Could you submit a bug report on Connect , with logs from server and a client that you're using for this testing? I don't see the sort of performance you describe on my server, so I'm suspicious of your hardware and drivers (network in particular). But I don't know for sure.
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 7:05 PM
  • I know Vail is beta, but is anyone else seeing poor network throughput?

Actually, ...

Reading from the shares on my servers (both VAIL and WHSv1) I get speeds at about 400 MBits/sec or higher.
    When writing to a WHSv1 share I get about the same (300-400+ MBits/sec depending on the file(s) I copy.
    Not bad concidering VAIL runs on a single core 1.8GHz AMD processor (HP MediaSmart EX47x) and my wiring is cat5e.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Monday, May 3, 2010 8:45 PM
  • Did you configure server backup by any chance? There is another thread here about the performance settings we set for server backup that may cause lower disk throughput.
    Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 2:16 AM
    I'm planning on tackling this over the weekend. Had a rather busy week.
    Friday, May 7, 2010 11:00 PM
  • I am seeing very slow backups. I was running WHS on my network and backups were pretty fast.  The initial ones took a long time as expected but the follow ons are incredibly slow. probably 2x longer that with WHS.
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 4:11 PM