Any way to get remote systems to automatically cycle Live Mesh when there's an outage? RRS feed

• Question

• Just ran across the Announcment that there's a minor problem affecting some people on Live Mesh today, December 8, 2008. I must be one of them - I couldn't get to the Live Mesh services at www.mesh.com earlier, and all my devices show as Offline.  I did the suggested Exit and restart of Live Mesh on my machine here, and I'm now seeing a couple of devices show as online.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make remote devices automatically cycle their Remote Connection service in case there's an outage of some sort? I'd really like to get at one of these remote machines, but I've got no way of telling it to recycle and connect now. If it was mission critical, I'd have an alternate connection in place (or a remote reboot device connected to a phone line or something).

Is there some way to have the service automatically restart itself if it can't connect to the Live Mesh portal for some period?
    Monday, December 8, 2008 10:11 PM

Answers

• Hi GuyWithDogs,

I've added this as a suggestion to our internal feature request list.

Thanks,

Ben.
    • Marked as answer by GuyWithDogs Tuesday, December 9, 2008 11:51 PM
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 10:13 PM

All replies

• Hi GuyWithDogs,

I've added this as a suggestion to our internal feature request list.

Thanks,

Ben.
    • Marked as answer by GuyWithDogs Tuesday, December 9, 2008 11:51 PM
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 10:13 PM
  • Interestingly enough, all my machines recovered over the course of about two hours yesterday. But I still think it would be a useful feature to have some sort of remote restart capability in case things get a little out of whack.
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 11:59 PM
  • One way is to do a machine reboot, which you do via Remote Desktop the same way as if you were in front of the machine. Since the Remote Desktop service loads automatically upon reboot and before user login, you'll be able to log back on afterwards. A second way is to restart the Live Mesh program using a process manager such as Microsoft's (formerly SysInternal's) Process Explorer. Instead of just allowing you to kill a process as with Task Manager, you can tell it to stop and then restart a process. This way, Live Mesh will come back up automatically even if you get disconnected when the process initially closes down.

David
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 9:07 PM
  • I'm talking about the remote machine that's sitting there, waiting for a connection, and then the Live Mesh service goes away, or the Internet connection in my house resets (e.g. power failure that last for less time than my UPS keeps the PC alive). Those situations where the notifier shows your remote devices as "Offline", even though they may not be. So in these situations, there's no one actually there to do anything like reset the machine, and I can't actually establish a connection without having the machine reset.
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 9:52 PM