Import WHS 2011 Beta Backup to WHS 2011 Final RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I just upgraded my WHS 2011 Beta to the Final release and have all of my raw backup (.dat) files. I ran into a situation where I need to access this backup again but I cannot see anyway to open or import these older files into WHS. Any thoughts?

Thanks 

Sunday, July 31, 2011 4:25 PM

All replies

• I don't believe you can.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 5:13 PM
  • The backup database is versioned; the only way to restore from a beta version of the backup database is to use the matching beta version of Windows Home Server 2011.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Sunday, July 31, 2011 6:27 PM
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 6:27 PM
  • Thanks Ken, once I reinstall the Beta, how can I get it to recognize the backup database?
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 6:37 PM
  • I believe you wind up with a blank database when you install. So you will just restore the database you backed up over the blank database. After that, the client restore disk should be able to find the server and restore a backup.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 10:49 PM
  • I tried deleting the default database files in my new (WHS Final) install and put the backup files from WHS Beta in that directory, had no luck. Then I reset the server and after a longer than usual boot process a new "Archived Backups" section appeared and allowed me to restore. I'm copying 150GB of data and its only going at 300 kB per second on GB LAN but at least its working. 
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 11:17 PM