Windows Product Key Invalid.. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I have a genuine product key which came with my laptop.. Now the other week i had a few viruses which were eating away all my bin32 files etc, and that caused my pc to just restart everytime i would switch it on... so i couldnt even have a chance to get to my desktop. ive reinstalled windows 3 times.. Now i dont know why it has, Not sure why but its been the same virus , now finally my 4th try reinstalling windows its gone! and ive got everything up and running.. except for one problem which is the windows activation , 
    Now ive read on the internet that this is from the limit that the code gives, is there anyway that i can get my product key cleared up so i can use it again on my laptop;
    cause i bought this product key to use with my laptop and i dont want to have to buy a new one 3 weeks later.
    P.S: Everytime i call up the Customer Service to tell them of my problem they hang up on me.. Now im very mad about this cause im trying to get this done for my kids as they need the computer for school and university.
    thank you,
    Microchris
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 12:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Microchris,

OK, that is the key (TYWVT-T8MX7-FW763) you want to use. But, the reason you can't enter it is because the key is an OEM key and the XP Pro software you have installed is Retail. OEM Keys won't work with Retail software.

I recommend contacting the maker of your computer (Fujitsu, I believe) and see if they can send you a replacment copy of the OEM software.

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS
    Monday, August 10, 2009 5:28 PM

All replies

• Heres the information from the MGA diagnostic tool which i just ran

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated
    Validation Code: 1

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-MTCVH-G2MFK-C47C8
    Windows Product Key Hash: 06m8j+M8Cy/Fjz0t4zal/+FuZUo=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-012-8370476-22985
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: {287FB03D-CEF6-456C-9BB8-5F0285F80881}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 1
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-543-80070002_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Documents and Settings\Christian\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{287FB03D-CEF6-456C-9BB8-5F0285F80881}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-C47C8</PKey><PID>76487-012-8370476-22985</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-839522115-1935655697-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>0315    </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20060712000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>4A003BA70184E066</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>W. Central Africa Standard Time(GMT+01:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>  

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 14210:ASUSTeK Computer Inc|10322:GENUINE C&C INC
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Sunday, August 9, 2009 12:31 PM
  • Hello microchris,

You should be able to activate your XP installation via a Telephonic Activation:

(Extraced from http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/307890)

How to activate Windows XP by phone

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.
    2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.
    3. Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.
    4. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.
    5. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.
      You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, August 10, 2009 1:01 AM
  • ty dan, 
    the product key also that came up in my diagnostic report is leaked one, i tried it out once to see cause im desperate to get my thing activated, 
    when i put in my genuine code it doesnt work anymore... for the telephonic activation you need to put the code in to get that number which you give to the operator but i cant get the numbers because it just says that my product key is invalid. i tried calling microsoft again... and they hanged up on me.. Could it be that they have blocked my product key because i have had to reinstall windows 3 times on my computer in the past month?
    thanks
    microchris
    Monday, August 10, 2009 3:25 PM
  • Hello microchris,

The installation of XP Pro that generated the report above is a retail license for XP Pro.  If you enter the partial product key MTCVH-G2MFK-C47C8 into a search engine, you get many many pages of hits, indicating that this is a widely pirated product key.

From you posts, I am not sure which installation of XP came on the computer in the first place.  Did the current installation of XP come one the computer when you bought it?  Or was there a different one?

You stated, "cause i bought this product key to use with my laptop and i dont want to have to buy a new one 3 weeks later"  How did you acquire the product key?

To assist you we need to know this information:

Look on the computer itself, in the documentation/packaging you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA).  If you have one, tell us about the CoA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the full Product Key that may be printed on the CoA.

5.  Retail copies of XP come in pretty retail boxes with a slick shiny plastic coating and an equally slick and shiny inner folder, on which is a sponge rubber disk for holding the genuine CD and on the back of the inner folder you will find an orange/yellow label with the Product Key on it.  Retail copies of XP have a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA), but the retail CoA is on the exterior boxtop of the product box, and it does not have the PK printed on it.  Do you have this?

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, August 10, 2009 3:54 PM
  • Hello again dan,

Im sorry what i should have said was that i bought the product key with my laptop. IT is printed at the bottem of my laptop on a card.. Here are the last 15 digits of my product key which you can even google and you wont find online: TYWVT-T8MX7-FW763.
    AT Tthe top it says Windows XP Professional 1-2CPU FujitsuSiemensComputers.. And then just the bar code, microsoft logo. website to tell if its a fake or so ..

Thanks,
    Microchris

Monday, August 10, 2009 4:31 PM
  • Hi Microchris,

OK, that is the key (TYWVT-T8MX7-FW763) you want to use. But, the reason you can't enter it is because the key is an OEM key and the XP Pro software you have installed is Retail. OEM Keys won't work with Retail software.

I recommend contacting the maker of your computer (Fujitsu, I believe) and see if they can send you a replacment copy of the OEM software.

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS
    Monday, August 10, 2009 5:28 PM