OneCare Print Sharing and a Linksys Print Server Device RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hey I was finally getting around to the Idea of Moving my printer to a Linksys Print server so I don't have to have a both computers up when I want to print something but How Would it Work with the Print sharing in Onecare Has me puzzled or would I just turn that off
    Sunday, October 5, 2008 8:01 PM

Answers

• OneCare's printer sharing functionality will only work with locally attached printers to PCs in your Circle. When you move the printer out to a Print Server, you'll need to configure it using Windows Printer Sharing or the Linksys instructions for the network printer.

-steve

Monday, October 6, 2008 7:27 PM

All replies

• OneCare's printer sharing functionality will only work with locally attached printers to PCs in your Circle. When you move the printer out to a Print Server, you'll need to configure it using Windows Printer Sharing or the Linksys instructions for the network printer.

-steve

Monday, October 6, 2008 7:27 PM
  • That's What I was thinking

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 11:45 PM
  • I am having trouble with my linksys print server.  It worked well before I installed onecare...it worked after I installed onecare for a day or two.  I uninstalled the print server and reinstalled it...I tried to set up with both an automatic IP address and using the manual IP address...both times it goes through the whole installation until I disconnect it from the router.  At that point when the computer is attempting to connect to the print server I get an error message that says connect failed with no explanation.  What is going on here? I've done everything I am supposed to do, I'm sharing my printer in onecare, I've set up the print server to recognize the my encrypted onecare router, what's left? Please help.

Saturday, November 15, 2008 3:10 PM
  • Deedee1170, a printer connected to a print server cannot be shared using OneCare's printer sharing feature. What you are doing is connecting to a network printer. Try turning off the OneCare firewall and configuring the printer per the instructions from Linksys. You may need to configure the OneCare firewall to allow the printer driver software to access the Print Server. You'll find some threads in the Firewall topic folder regarding various Print Servers and the settings required.

-steve

Monday, November 17, 2008 6:00 PM