none
Measure-up Exam and 70-511 RRS feed

• Question

• I have been studying for exam 70-511 for the past couple months.  I have been working with WPF for well over a year now and have gone through the training kit book.  I have done every exercise and done well on all the quizzes at the end of each lesson.  I took all the review questions on the disk as an exam and only scored a 78%, so I went through the training kit book again, making sure to focus on the areas in which I had problems (almost every incorrect answer was on Windows Forms).  I took an exam from the MeasureUp disk in the training kit and only scored a 73%.  From what I could tell, it seems that I did a good job learning Windows Forms, but almost 10% of the questions were on security features not covered in the training kit book and several questions were downright confusing as to what they were asking.  I went through all the links on any questions I had incorrect or marked as unsure.  I also went through notes I had taken on the training kit and all the summaries.  Last night, I decided to try another practice exam and had a horrible experience.  First of all, the exam crashed right after I finished it and started rechecking the questions I marked.  When I reopened the application, it had deleted everything I did, so I have no idea how I did on that exam.  Several of the questions did not appear to have a correct option--unless they wanted you to pick something that would be just awful technique such as naming a field 'lastname' that held a first name. It was late, but I had decided to take a practice test, so I stayed up and completed another one.  The now third exam seemed to have a lot of questions that would best be described as 'tips and tricks'.  Several questions were missing information needed to understand what they wanted you to do--such as one that had a bunch of styles defined, but the question never stated that ANY style was required let alone whether they wanted bold font, red border, etc.  One question marked an answer as the correct choice, but the explanation sounded as if a different answer were correct.  My overall score was only a 69%, so it is getting worse.  I am very, very frustrated because I felt ready to take the exam. 

I am trying to decide whether to purchase the Transcender exam, but I saw the following information that said it was not good enough to pass:http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/CertGeneral/thread/119a0c88-ea92-4465-a0a4-d1bb98cfbbac Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do next? I don't want to give up, but it seems that if the MeasureUp exams are any indication of the real test, it will just be pure luck to know the obscure information required, and large concepts will not be covered at all.  I do plan to just plow through all 200 questions on the MeasureUp exams as study questions and see what the explanations are for each answer.  However, I have no confidence now that I can even prepare for this exam.  Is it really just 'tips and tricks'?  I would HOPE the real exam does have correct options and includes all information, but this is what the Microsoft site pushed, and it is very, very disappointing to see that the quality of the practice tests is pathetic. 

Is MeasureUp an accurate reflection of what to expect or is Transcender a better option?  Thanks for any information you can give me about the exam!

Christine A. Piffat

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 2:40 PM

Answers

• Is MeasureUp an accurate reflection of what to expect or is Transcender a better option?  Thanks for any information you can give me about the exam!

Christine A. Piffat

I have not studied for this exam however I have used MeasureUp, Transcender and SelfTest software for other exams and my personal opinion of these products is that although they provide good examples of the type and structure of exam questions, some of their technical content can at times be awful and way off the mark. That said, others have found them to be great.

Hopefully someone who has used these resources while preparing for 70-511 can provide some insight into whether these products do represent actual exam content.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:57 PM