Windows Home Server Console - Blank RRS feed

• Question

• I have been running WHS for months now and have the Power Pack 1 installed from day 1. In the last week or so I am getting the situation that when I log into the WHS Console directly, It comes back with a totally blank screen.

I am running Vista-64 Ultimate and have backups daily. If I RDP into the server and open up the Console there its OK on the server. I have 1 XP 32 system, 1 Vista 32 system, another Vista-64 system and those all get a normal console when I log in through their systems. It;s just when I log do it on my main work system that I am not able to see anything in the Console window.

Now without a console, having backups is a waste of time as that is how you restore a required file as I discovered when I wanted to check a file I had 2 months ago. Anyone one have a suggestion on how I resolve this situation?

Henry
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 5:56 PM

Answers

• Colin,

Thanks for that Information.

I rebooted router.. no change...

I then started looking at logs.. and the console on the server said that my server had been up for 5.5 days.. suspiciously about as long as I have noticed my problem on my machine. As a knowledgeable technical individual - I decided on the mother of all solutions.  

REBOOT

Amazing how often that works. In this case that worked.

Colin thanks for you assistance I appreciate it. It's one reason I read these forums knowing that it's one place where we have great people that take the time to try and assist.

On a side note I recalled getting a message that auto-update had found new updates ie for Java during the last week or so and of course I hit ok. It may have has something to do with that, needing a reboot. The old auto-updater to keep our WHS current and patched seems to catch some other software as well.

Henry
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 7:47 PM

All replies

• Valzic,

Have you tried resetting the Console on the affected Client?

This is achieved by clicking on the settings menu, underneath the Password Box when you first open the Console and before you click the join arrow.

Also, what do the logs on that Client say, if anything and have you installed any add-ins or done any server work prior to this starting?

Colin

Sunday, August 24, 2008 6:19 PM
  • I tried resetting console as suggested but unfortunately it did not help.

I reinstalled the WHS Connector Software also with no change.

It takes almost 1.5 minutes for the console to respond to get to that lovely blank Console window.

In terms of work on the client side...I moved about 200GB of data into the WHS folders in the last week clearing space on my main drive. This is anticipation of moving my main system to SSD drives in the fall and moving all the massive amount of storage I no longer need locally and putting it on my WHS. I also uninstalled a lot of old MS evaluation stuff list MS SQL Server 2005 etc which I no longer was using or testing.

On second evaluation: turned on my Wife's XP system and it also seems to have a blank screen now. Her machine can be guaranteed to not have had any changes in last month or two. Also ran to my son't Vista-64 machine and it also has same problem.

So it looks like something with server or router. (that is a relief in that - it would be impossible to isolate what I had removed from my computer. ANy particular logs to look at on server?
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 7:13 PM
  • OK,

In that case, it rules out something local to the Client(s).

The Console contents displayed on a Clients desktop, are just a 'skinned' RDP session, so what you are seeing, (or not seeing), is as a result of something on your server.

To view the logs, they are as follows:

XP machine:
    %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Vista machine:
    %SystemDrive%\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Home Server logs:         
    %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Sunday, August 24, 2008 7:30 PM
  • OK,

That rules out the Clients! The Console contents on a Clients' desktop, is just an RDP session from the server, so it's something at that end.

To see the logs, they are located as follows:

XP machine:

Vista machine:
    %SystemDrive%\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Home Server logs:         

Also, you could remote into the server, then from Start - Run, enter tsadmin.exe. (You need to be logged in as Administrator).

Then, Click on your server name, then on "RDP-Tcp (listener) right click and reset any rdp-tcp# is open.

You may need to reboot the server, for these changes to be complete.

Colin

Sunday, August 24, 2008 7:35 PM
  • Colin,

Thanks for that Information.

I rebooted router.. no change...

I then started looking at logs.. and the console on the server said that my server had been up for 5.5 days.. suspiciously about as long as I have noticed my problem on my machine. As a knowledgeable technical individual - I decided on the mother of all solutions.  

REBOOT

Amazing how often that works. In this case that worked.

Colin thanks for you assistance I appreciate it. It's one reason I read these forums knowing that it's one place where we have great people that take the time to try and assist.

On a side note I recalled getting a message that auto-update had found new updates ie for Java during the last week or so and of course I hit ok. It may have has something to do with that, needing a reboot. The old auto-updater to keep our WHS current and patched seems to catch some other software as well.

Henry
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 7:47 PM
  • Doh!

Looking for technical answers to mechanical problems. Didn't even cross my mind about the recent update cycle.

Glad you got it back,

Good luck,

Colin

Sunday, August 24, 2008 8:01 PM