Is there a keyboard interface for moving Start Screen tiles? RRS feed

• Question

• I like how the Metro UI supports touch, mouse and keyboard.

I tried to move a tile on the start screen and I couldn't find a way to do it via keyboard.

Is there a way to do this via keyboard?

If not, shouldn't there be?

Sunday, June 3, 2012 11:47 PM

Answers

• I actually just discovered this - it is Shift-Alt-<arrow>. So it exists, albeit in a somewhat cumbersome form. I remember it being something different in the Developer Preview, wonder why it was changed (or do I just remember wrong?)

What bothers me is that "Home" and "End" no longer work (again I remember them working before?) while you are dragging a tile with the mouse or touch, making it harder to move tiles long distances. PgUp and PgDn do work - but for some reason only when dragging individual tiles, not while dragging groups in zoomed-out view. I see this making it prohibitively cumbersome to maintain start screens with more than a couple hundred pinned tiles.

I also really wish keyboard shortcuts were standard for AppBar commands, and a standard mechanism introduced for learning them, such as holding Alt to display keyboard shortcuts in menus and ribbons in desktop apps today.

• Marked as answer by dlenihan Monday, June 4, 2012 3:25 AM
    Monday, June 4, 2012 2:30 AM

All replies

• I actually just discovered this - it is Shift-Alt-<arrow>. So it exists, albeit in a somewhat cumbersome form. I remember it being something different in the Developer Preview, wonder why it was changed (or do I just remember wrong?)

What bothers me is that "Home" and "End" no longer work (again I remember them working before?) while you are dragging a tile with the mouse or touch, making it harder to move tiles long distances. PgUp and PgDn do work - but for some reason only when dragging individual tiles, not while dragging groups in zoomed-out view. I see this making it prohibitively cumbersome to maintain start screens with more than a couple hundred pinned tiles.

I also really wish keyboard shortcuts were standard for AppBar commands, and a standard mechanism introduced for learning them, such as holding Alt to display keyboard shortcuts in menus and ribbons in desktop apps today.

• Marked as answer by dlenihan Monday, June 4, 2012 3:25 AM
    Monday, June 4, 2012 2:30 AM
  • Hi dlenihan,

This forum is for developers wishing to discuss writing Metro style apps. For questions about using Windows 8 please post on the Windows 8 forums at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8 .

--Rob

Monday, June 4, 2012 5:23 AM
  • The answer to this question has an impact on how I develop software. If Microsoft isn't going to fully support the keyboard, then I won't worry about it either.

When I asked the question, I assumed Microsoft provided keyboard access for most things, but not everything.

I'm glad to find out I'm wrong on this.

Knowing this, I'm going to make sure my Metro software can be operated via a keyboard-only interface.

Also, contextfree makes a good point: I shouldn't have to ask what the keyboard interface is. The software should have a way to teach users what the keyboard shortcuts are like the ribbon does.

Monday, June 4, 2012 5:52 AM