301 Redirect Question/Discussion RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

As many of you know, Live Search has issues with 301 redirects. We are currently seeking input to fix the issue so the question is:

How do you webmasters use 301s? and can you provide us with some examples. More is better as we will use some of these examples to build use cases for the 301 fix.  

So that we understand each other, I know what a basic 301 is for, but we are looking for input on how you are using them so that we can cover all bases. 

Friday, May 9, 2008 2:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Malta,

I agree. The preferred method is a 301 redirect at the server level (i.e. no scripts). I am working to gather enough variations to provide the devs with multiple scenarios so that we can all use the correct redirects.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 3:05 PM

All replies

• We would like to use 301 redirects to solve issues such as:

• Canonicalization - To enlighten search engines whether to use a non-www or www url for example.
    • Transfer of page rank & link weight - For example if we need to change the url of an old web page.
    Those are the first two issues that came to mind Stick out tongue

It's great to know that Live Search is working to solve this matter.
    Thanks in anticipation for the effort.
    Friday, May 9, 2008 3:28 PM
  • Thanks for the response!

I guess I wasn't being clear, so my bad. There are lots of ways to impliment what you are wanting. What we are looking for is both implimentation and how you are using it. For example: using onpage php to 301 cross-domain redirect using the following code:

Code Snippet
    <?php
    Header( 'HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently');
    Header( 'location: http://newdomain.com/');
    ?>

or for canonicalization from non-www to www

Code Snippet

<?php
    if (substr(getenv(’HTTP_HOST’),0,3) != ‘www’)
    {
      header(’HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently’);
      header(’Location:http://www.’.$_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'].$_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']);

?>

there is also Mod_rewrite, redirectMatch using PCRE, and other techniques for the various uses of a 301 such as cross-domain, platform modification, architectural redesign, intra-domain, subdomain, chaining, canonicalization, blah...

what implimentations and uses are you using/ wanting to use?

Thanks.  

Friday, May 9, 2008 6:03 PM
  • We do our 301 or 302 redirects through Microsoft IIS control panel, mainly for canonicalization.

One of our domains is included on Live Search as DOMAIN.COM (homepage in capital without www), whilst all other pages of same website are listed as www.domain.com/page.html.

- Searching on Live for site: domain.com, I get all indexed urls (i.e. the non-www homepage & all www web pages);
    - Searching for site: www.domain.com, I only get all the indexed www urls (but not the non-www homepage);

I have the impression sometimes that our non-www homepage is not transferring link weight in the eyes of Live Search to the rest of our indexed www web pages.

We implemented a 302 redirect on the homepage about 6 months ago because of Live Search, but will be ideal to use a 301 to make all search engines happy, hehe.
    Monday, May 12, 2008 2:05 PM
  • Hi Malta,

I agree. The preferred method is a 301 redirect at the server level (i.e. no scripts). I am working to gather enough variations to provide the devs with multiple scenarios so that we can all use the correct redirects.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 3:05 PM
  • I added this code to one of my websites in .htaccess file:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.mywebsite\.com
    RewriteRule (.*) http://mywebsite.com/$1 [R=301,L]

It works at browser level, hope it's ok for search engines too. I wanted to keep the url without www.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 5:17 PM
  • Any news about the 301 issue?
    Thanks a lot.
    Wednesday, June 4, 2008 11:34 AM