none
Reformatted HD and now I can't get WGA Error at startup to go away RRS feed

• Question

• I've reformatted my HS on a Dell Optiplex GX520 and after I log into my computer, I get an error that says that WGA has encountered a problem and needs to close.  I've already run the app from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 and it says it's a legit copy.  Here's the report from it:

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-T6DFB-Y934T-YD4YT
    Windows Product Key Hash: 3g4CZGFEDgbKmn/oB4pa2FZsssU=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2211906-00102
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {0E618CE7-F72D-41CE-910F-CC7766247261}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.8.31.9
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-543-80070002_025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{0E618CE7-F72D-41CE-910F-CC7766247261}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-YD4YT</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2211906-00102</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-329068152-1364589140-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.                </Manufacturer><Model>OptiPlex GX520               </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.                </Manufacturer><Version>A11</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20061130000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>B81D3C7F0184E07C</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.8.31.9"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.8.31.9"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 1AB74:Dell Inc|1AB74:Microsoft Corporation
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

I have Windows XP Professional SP3 with a volume license from DELL.

Any help would be appreciated!

Tom Nguyen
    Friday, March 6, 2009 10:16 PM

Answers

• Tom,

Are you a system's administrator working in a company? You may have to contact Technical Account Manager "TAM" or Vendor Account Manager "VAM" and address this question.  Also if your using a predesigned image maybe there is a physical problem with the disc which your using. Try and recreate the image and go again.

Thank you,

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, March 10, 2009 4:10 PM
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 4:10 PM

All replies

•  Hello Tom,

Thank you for visiting the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum. I understand you have come across this error:

“WINDOWS GENUINE ADVANTAGE HAS ENCOUNTERED A PROBLEM AND NEEDS TO CLOSE

Reference link:

http://forums.community.microsoft.com/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/thread/c6d90f63-477b-4b6f-afde-2cb5179c7870/

The following may or may not be of assistance to you. First please ensure all of your files are backed up. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

Next logon as an administrator

Click Start | Click Run | Type CMD | Click OK
    Type: rename %windir%\system32\wgalogon.dll wgalogon.old
    Press Enter
    Type: rename %windir%\system32\wgatray.exe wgatray.old
    Press Enter
    Type: exit
    Restart the Computer and Log into Safe Mode Pressing F8 at Startup (Must be done after you see the manufacturer logo and before the Windows Logo.)
    Click Start | Click Run | Type CMD | Click OK
    Type: regsvr32  %windir%\system32\legitcheckcontrol.dll /u
    Press Enter
    Type: rename %windir%\system32\legitcheckcontrol.dll legitcheckcontrol.old
    Press Enter

Please Restart the Computer in Normal Mode and Log In as an Administrator

- Start Internet Explorer

- Enter in the Address Bar:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

- Please Click on the “Validate Windows” Button Located in the Upper Right

- Complete the Validation Process

If there is an issue here, attempt to repair the system using the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/

If that doesn’t resolve the issue then download and install Windows XP-KB905474-ENU-x86-Standalone.exe. It can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f8b8bc77-cfa1-47bd-b325-7a6d3893add8&DisplayLang=en

We hope this information helps. Please let us know if this resolves what is causing your problem. Thank you.

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    Friday, March 6, 2009 10:45 PM
  • OK, I've gone into safe mode and followed the steps that was mentioned to rename those files.  After the 2nd restart, I allowed it to boot up normally and logged in as an Administrator.  When I visited the site http://www.microsoft.com/genuine and installed the Active X control, it attempts to validate it but IE7 crashed during the validation. 

Link 2 gives me the diagnosis which is pretty much the same as before. 

Link3 for download the WGA I believe no longer works.

Tom
    Monday, March 9, 2009 3:22 PM
  • TomTigerMC,

Try the link for the WGA Notifications program that's near the top of this MS KB article:  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/905474

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, March 9, 2009 4:10 PM
  • After installing the Standalone WGA, I got a notice that Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications has encountered a problem and needs to close.  

This one computer keeps giving me a problem, whether its pushing out a fresh image to this PC (I've done this to several other PCs and they work fine) or reinstalling Windows XP from scratch and neither seems to help my issue.

PC is out of warranty but is still a good PC for a low end production machine. 

Any other suggestions?

Tom
    Monday, March 9, 2009 5:07 PM
  • Tom,

At this point I would use your Dell Recovery Media and perform a system restoration. Please ensure you back up all of your data first. It appears you have many corrupt files. 

Take care Tom,

Stephen
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, March 9, 2009 9:43 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by TomTigerMC Tuesday, March 10, 2009 2:22 PM
    Monday, March 9, 2009 9:41 PM
  • What I don't understand on this one particular computer is that even with a new hard drive (just installed this morning, with a fresh install of Windows XP I would continue to get this error?  This doesn't happen on the other 20 machines I've already pushed out into production already.

Tom
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 2:24 PM
  • Tom,

Are you a system's administrator working in a company? You may have to contact Technical Account Manager "TAM" or Vendor Account Manager "VAM" and address this question.  Also if your using a predesigned image maybe there is a physical problem with the disc which your using. Try and recreate the image and go again.

Thank you,

Stephen
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, March 10, 2009 4:10 PM
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 4:10 PM