File Corruption - Perfect Disk 11?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I consider myself to be an advanced user of windows and am capable of rebuilding raid arrays and servicing my own equipment.  I have an Acer EasyStore 430, purchased in June 2009.  It has been flawless for me and in general, I've been very impressed with Windows Home Server.  I am currently running PowerPack 3, not a lot of extras involved but more on that in a moment.  The device is equipped with 4 drives.  2x 1TB and 2x 1.5TB.

About a week ago, I found I was having some permission issues with files.  The files were inherited from a previous Windows 2003 install and moved over to the EasyStore without much thought.  I took the time to reset the permissions on all files on the machine to be owned by the Administrators group and removed other miscellaneous permissions on the files, I left the RO_ and RW_ permissions as is as these seemed to be created by WHS. At the time, everything was okay and it has been since.

3 days ago, I purchased and installed Raxco Perfect Disk 11 for WHS.  I'm not really sure why I did this?  I guess I was bored and mildly concerned about fragmentation as the number of files on the disks is nearly a million.  The product has received good reviews from all over the place and I presumed it to be safe.  I ran the defrag and called it a night.  The next day wow, the nas was super fast.  Impressively so.  Good investment.

Later on that day, my WHS icon turned yellow and reported file conflicts.  "The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation".  The files that were affected were super old and trivial.  After reading up a bit on this forum and elsewhere I saw that the recommended action was to simply nuke the files.  I did that and things returned to normal.  Fast forward to today, I have file conflicts again, this time its some fairly important files to me and the number of files affected seems to be about the same (30 or so).

I have completely uninstalled PerfectDisk, while I can't be certain this was the culprit I am moderately convinced it was the problem as I never had file conflicts like this before.  I installed "Home Server SMART" to get the smart status of my drives, they all seem okay, one has 34 bad sectors but I don't perceive that to be an issue as they have been marked and there is more than 1TB free still.

Despite my aforementioned knowledge and ability with Windows and RAID in general, the drive extender technology eludes me.  I have yet to understand tombstone and shadow files.  Is there a method for rebuilding this information?  How could the data just disappear! Microsoft's solution of deleting the files to resolve this type of conflict is absolutely awful.  So I'm appealing to the community for a better solution than that or how I can stop this slow meltdown of my files from continuing!  As we speak, I am copying off the truly important files from the easystore.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 11:51 PM

All replies

• Well, here's the thing: per this FAQ , "not in the correct state" really means that the data is already gone. Why? I couldn't tell you; I don't have. your server sitting in front of me, and if I did it might not be possible to determine exactly what happened "after the fact". I don't know if Perfect Disk was involved; though I personally don't use, or recommend the use of, disk defragmenting tools, it has good reviews. Are you sure you have the Windows Home Server product, though?

Probably the next step for you is going to be to run chkdsk on all the drives in your server .

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 1:18 AM
  • Hi Ken, thanks for the advice it was quite helpful.  I ran chkdsk as described and turned up nothing unusual or broken that I could find.  WHS has since inferred that one of the drives has bad sectors and should be removed.  I've gone through the drive removal process and removed that drive successfully. 

The corruption seems to be progressing, more files continue to show up as conflicts and subsequently require deletion.  I was browsing the WHS logs directory and looking at DEUtil logs, there are some fairly sizable logs for the last few days.  Not sure where to begin with them or if there's anything to be learned from them.

Going to let this simmer for another day and see how extensive the damage is.  I believe it's a total loss though. :(

Friday, April 2, 2010 2:21 AM
  • i havent had the problem you state.  I run perfectdisk 11 also.  Now i did have some issues with early wd green 1tb drives, but i rma'd and the replacements are fine.  
    Friday, April 2, 2010 7:50 PM
  • I have 2x 1.5TB WD Green, 1x 1TB WD Green and 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda.  The Barracuda is the one that has developed bad sectors.

When you installed perfect disk 11, did you run a full defrag on all drives?  It produced no problems?

Friday, April 2, 2010 10:16 PM
  • yes.... just takes forever with 17TB of disk.  The other drives i had no problems... the 1tb green that i just rma'd was very slow in access and caused the server to lock up.  but diags found nothing.  I emailed WD support and they said the drive needed to be rma'd.  I did that and the replacement was fine.  You may have a problem with your 1tb greens and not know it.

If the barracuda developed bad sectors, that would be the source of your corruption.  

• Proposed as answer by DrX69 Monday, May 17, 2010 3:44 PM
    Monday, April 5, 2010 9:22 PM
  • I have file system corruption using version 11 on both Windows XP Professional and Windows 7 Professional. The Windows 7 issue happened after one or two updates have happened. This was still the exact same hardware as with Windows XP. I have tried several other defragmentation tools over the years and none of the others did this. This corruption is why I started trying various free and commercial applications for months each. Eventually I decided to try PerfectDisk again. The file system corruption then happenend of course on the busiest day of the year.
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 6:44 PM