Ocean composites not seamless RRS feed

• Question

• I live on an island, consequently shoot many ocean images.  Often with both old & new ICE versions, the stitching along the horizon is uneven, and sometimes the water shots show obvious seams.  This happens with both RAW & Jpeg images.  I have tried stitching with Raw, TIFF & Jpeg.  I have tried shooting with varied overlap %, from 20 to 40 %, all to about a 50 % success rate.  This only has happened with my ocean shots, all others have worked great.  I process with Windows 7, 64bit.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you kindly, Rusty. 
    Wednesday, February 18, 2015 12:58 AM

All replies

• Ocean waves are tough.  They have lots of features, which ICE diligently tries to match up, but they're constantly moving, so the matches are unhelpful and tend to throw the alignment off.

The only sure-fire solution I can think of would be expensive: shoot simultaneously with many cameras to capture a single instant in time.

One thing to try: shoot at very precise, evenly spaced angles using a tripod (or a robotic tripod like the GigaPan), then stitch the images using ICE's Structured Panorama mode (on the right in the Import page).  Once you have determined the correct overlap percentage, you can reduce the feature search radius to zero or nearly zero.  This will effectively prevent ICE from searching for matching features that shift the images away from their grid positions.

Let us know if this helps!

Eric Stollnitz, Computational Photography Group, Microsoft Research

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 3:02 AM
  • Eric, thank you for your reply.  My problem isn't with waves though.  I usually shoot across a large strait, often with calm & flat waters.  As mentioned, I also have problems with horizons not aligning.  I wish I could post an example, but I don't post photos anywhere besides Facebook, so no http:.
    Wednesday, February 18, 2015 3:13 AM
  • I'm a little surprised no one has commented.  Has anyone else had a horizon mis-aligned on one of their panoramas?
    Friday, February 20, 2015 1:48 AM
  • So no help whatsoever, eh?  Oh well, I just read that Lightroom 6 will feature a panorama stitching function, as well as a HDR bracket fusion option.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2015 1:28 AM